aaa Decent strings from a soft synth? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

20-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Decent strings from a soft synth?

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             24-Nov-03  @  05:07 PM   -   Decent strings from a soft synth?

J Gordon

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Im having right hassle getting really good string sounds from any softsynths, Ive got fm7,pro52&3, alpha, absynth etc etc but Im trying to achieve really dramatic strings similare to those used in Rank 1 "airwave" does anyone know how to achieve this, what fx are used to get them so "In ya face" when the LP filter drops out?!

Thanx

j

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             24-Nov-03  @  10:34 PM   -   RE: Decent strings from a soft synth?

Broken Silence

Those used in airwave are straight Roland JP-8000 (or 8080)- sound fabulous, huh?  

It's really hard to get that exact sound- there's a freeware VST called Superwave P8 around the interenet somewhere- do a forum search and you'll find a link. It is supposed to emulate the JP which I guess it kind of does...nothing really gets *that* sound. I don't think they used much effects on that sound either- minimal chorus or flanging- it's all in that supersaw waveform.

Pick up that Superwave P8- add alot of hi-freq on the eq and detune the "superwave" to taste. Only use 1 though- 2 sounds out of whack for that type of sound. I've heard some great reason emulations of the supersaw though, probably the closest I've heard.

Reaktor has like cheapo ensembles that you can grab and I think that they have a JP one and if I'm not mistaken, it's good. Reaktor's expensive tho, so you might as well just get a JP s/h and if all you want is that sound  

Message 3/5             24-Nov-03  @  10:34 PM   -   RE: Decent strings from a soft synth?

Broken Silence

Oh and when its being filtered, it's just some resonance on a 24 db filter

Message 4/5             25-Nov-03  @  09:26 PM   -   RE: Decent strings from a soft synth?

Tom

Hmm,

I found that a shallower slope filter, something like 6 db/oct works better for string/pad sounds...

Tom

Message 5/5             27-Nov-03  @  01:57 PM   -   RE: Decent strings from a soft synth?

k

Link?: Link

the P8 is 'feature plugin' in the DT.... PLUGINS section (see site top-menu 'plugins' icon)

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)