aaa restoring - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: restoring

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             07-Jan-04  @  06:36 PM   -   restoring

micromusic

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

whats up everybody-

i'm using my rm1x to sequence my virus for my live pa. i've got about a dozens songs together, each using a different multi and 8 sounds on the virus b. i've been backing up the virus using a sysex dump to sonar, saving it as 'all data'. i haven't actually had to restore the virus yet (thankfully), hopefully it works.

my songs are constantly changing over time. now, if i want to go back to a previous version (on the virus), i'm limited to dumping everything back, changing all the songs to old versions.

now this is my question: whats the best way to save & restore just a single multi & the sounds associated with it? i assumme i have to save the multi, and save the 8 sounds individually. bit of a hassle (time & organizing), but not to much of a problem. but what about restoring it? i'm mostly concerned about where the multi & sounds are going to end up when i restore. say i saved multi 51 & sounds A78 & B22. when i restore will it write over multi 51 & sounds A78 & B22? or will it put the multi & sounds into a buffer, making me have to save the sounds where i want them and re-assign the multi to thoses sounds? which could become confusing keeping track of what sounds go to each part of the multi, but would be nice because i could keep the new sounds as well.

like i said, i haven't had to do a sysex dump back to the virus yet, but it's only a matter of time before something happens and i want to get it right before it does.

any advice would be appreciated.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             07-Jan-04  @  08:45 PM   -   RE: restoring

craig

Link?: Link

Well, one way to go about it would be to use something like Sound Diver for libriarian type duties. There was a Virus Quick Editor by a guy named Norsez a while back, but I'm not sure of it's status or suitability.

I don't think you're going to find anything that's intelligent enough to know when a patch you need is going to be overwritte, or that can re-patch the multis to compensate for where the singles are going.

What I do is this... I work out of the B bank when I'm creating new patches. When I've got things to the point where they're solid, I move them over to the A bank, and manually set up the multi to look in the proper place for patches. I usually do this in groups of songs, so I know I can blow away everything in the B bank.

What happens when I get so much stuff saved that I've got a full A-bank, or when my multis are all full? You're guess is as good as mine. Probably a lot of manual work, like what I had to go through to get the Virus set up for my current scheme the first time.

Sorry I can't give you a quick answer. If there is one, though, I'd love to hear it  

-Craig

Message 3/8             07-Jan-04  @  10:16 PM   -   RE: restoring

micromusic

well that sucked - i wrote a message but forgot to put in my name and when i clicked back my message was gone.

thanks for the reply craig.

"I don't think you're going to find anything that's intelligent enough to know when a patch you need is going to be overwritte, or that can re-patch the multis to compensate for where the singles are going."

thats not what i'm looking for, i just want to know whats going to happen when i do restore, like where my multis & sounds will end up & what it takes to get it back to the way it was before i backed up.

i'm also trying to fill my a bank with my sounds, once its full i'm going to write it to the h bank. once the multi's full, ummm..

for some reason i'm scared of using sound diver, but i guess i should look into it a bit.

Message 4/8             08-Jan-04  @  03:21 PM   -   RE: restoring

craig

I think the answer to your question is that if you restore individual sounds they go into whatever sound is currently selected. If I remember right, they go into the edit buffer and you have to actually save them back into the machine.

So what you could do (if I'm right) is restore a single multi to the slot you want it to go to. Save it if necessary. Go to multi-single mode and for each channel, transmit the patch data to the Virus. When you save those singles from multi-single mode, the multi will be updated with the new location. Save the multi again when you're done and you should be all set.

Honestly, I never had to do any of the librarian type stuff.. I always just backed up the entire synth in case it died at a gig.

-Craig

Message 5/8             08-Jan-04  @  06:17 PM   -   RE: restoring

Influx

I believe when you sysex a multi it stores the individual patches alongside it.

I used to store just the multis for songs in cubase...and Ive never once had a sysex transfer problem

Message 6/8             08-Jan-04  @  09:10 PM   -   RE: restoring

craig

According to the manual, single sounds are always dumped to the edit buffer. If you're loading a bank, then there's a parameter to force the dump to bank a or bank b. It says nothing about receiving multis, but I'd expect that the multi is treated like a single program. It doesn't make sense that they'd store the slot number the multi resides in in the dump of the multi - then you'd always have to restore it to the same place.

This is all from the Virus A manual, BTW.

-Craig

Message 7/8             13-Jan-04  @  03:10 PM   -   RE: restoring

micromusic

cool. thanks for the help.

looks like one at a time. 14 songs times up to eight patches a song equals a lot of time & organizing. i didn't think how the multi's automatically update when you select a new patch, that'll help for sure.

Message 8/8             13-Jan-04  @  04:50 PM   -   RE: restoring

craig

They only do that in multi-single mode. If you dump them into single mode you'll have to manually update your mullti.

-Craig

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot