aaa SoundArt Chameleon - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

20-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: SoundArt Chameleon

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/6             21-Jan-04  @  11:29 PM   -   SoundArt Chameleon

The Moujik

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

Just wondering if anyone has any experience or opinions on these?? Just been having a browse on the DigitalVillage site & they're knocking them out for £425 - quite tempting for a post-Christmas/New Year binge....

Had a listen to the demos on the Soundart site (http://www.soundart-hot.com/) - fairly cheesy, but not bad. Seem to remember it got a decent write up in SOS but unfortunately I've chucked the issue away...

Anyway, any input greatefully received.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/6             22-Jan-04  @  09:09 AM   -   RE: SoundArt Chameleon

dARKSTATe

Link?: Link

Yeah, I posted up a query about this a short while after the SoS review too..

Unfortunately no one had any experience of it then either...

I'm guessing by the fact that the programming tools are in the public domain that it *may* get support though I haven't really had a chance to check online whether it has a community of any kind or how well its supported...

Unlike say, the Roland VariOS which has development of new "plugins" for it very much confined to Roland and Roland alone...

Just have to see if its an idea that takes off I guess..

Message 3/6             27-Feb-04  @  05:17 AM     Edit: 27-Feb-04  |  05:18 AM   -   RE: SoundArt Chameleon

Dr Justice

Link?:  No link

Hi folks!

Just thought I'd drop some info on the Chameleon. I've got two of them, have some involvment (doing independent development - I'm not employed by Soundart), and am probably biased, so you're warned .

Cheesy? I think not. As so often, a few mp3 demos of presets isn't telling the whole story.

For some strange(???) reason, people seem to be afraid of it, or something. Maybe because it can make a lot of equipment seem stupidly expensive and dull... Soundart are a small company and can't afford lot's of marketing, so it's not very widely known. You'll not see it "take off" as in selling by the millions. There's a user and developer community on Soundarts site, and there's a developers community on ampfea.org. There are several new "soundskins" and more in the pipeline.

IMNSHO this is just about *the* best deal ever! At £425 you can hardly go wrong with it. It's got the same DSP and host-CPU power as many fixed-funtionality units selling for upto £1500, better AD/DA tha most units, and all soundskins are free.

I'm getting one more when I have the cash - three is just right for me

DJ
--

Message 4/6             27-Feb-04  @  09:16 AM   -   RE: SoundArt Chameleon

dARKSTATe

Link?: Link

Could you post some more details about what's currently out there for the Chamelon? Be curious to know what goodies are available? And is it a more commercially focussed community or are the "plugins" freeware?

Message 5/6             27-Feb-04  @  03:25 PM   -   RE: SoundArt Chameleon

Dr Justice

I'd recommend going to their web-site: Soundart. It has become a really good site, and you will find lots of info there on the machine, the software the community etc..

Out of the 8 currently released "plugins", or "soundskins" as they are known in the Chameleon world, 7 are professionally developed. They are still *free* though, as in gratis or free beer (if you know the GPL ref :-). The 8th is the first open-source soundskin, contributed by the guy that makes the Monowave synthesizer. There are more free soundskins under way, and there is also some much requested related software coming which I can't say too much about ATM (sorry...).

If you have any specific questions, I'll be happy to answer - better still, sign up on Soundarts forum and you will get it "from the horses mouth".

DJ

P.S. I can't find a logout button anywhere... help!
--

Message 6/6             02-Mar-04  @  08:50 AM   -   RE: SoundArt Chameleon

Marc_D

Tasty! Gonna have me a look at that...

Its about time I bought some new hardware, can't let 0dB have all the fun with his impulse purchases!!  

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 6 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)