aaa bask in this my minions! - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: bask in this my minions!

Viewing all 65 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7

Original Message 1/65             25-Jan-04  @  04:17 PM   -   bask in this my minions!

Broken Silence

Link?: Link

File?:  File

80_detuned_saws.mp3

To my amazement, many of you haven't heard what a REAL supersaw is!

So I took some time out of my schedule and did a little JP-8080 demo for fun.

It's PURE JP- no extras. I didn't even use the onboard chorus- no extra effects- I did use the onboard delay. No reverb etc etc

I used the onboard treble control to bump it up a bit..

So here it is EIGHTY detuned saws..singing for you. Yep, 8-0- .... enjoy

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/65             25-Jan-04  @  04:30 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

k

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

"I CAN'T FEEL MY EYES!!!!!!!!!!!"

lol  

Message 3/65             25-Jan-04  @  05:18 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

milan

sounds aight... so is that two saws you said?

Message 4/65             25-Jan-04  @  06:23 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

BluStudio

Hoi Corsten!!! Leave iiiittttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!

Message 5/65             25-Jan-04  @  06:51 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

Broken Silence

and i didnt even use any illegal midis fer dat! hehe

that tune's the bomb and i hope you mean leave it in the cd playa!

Message 6/65             26-Jan-04  @  12:24 AM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

Pongoid

Oh my cheese. To each their own, but dude, seriously that was a fuckin boring, simple, typical, played out line that should never have happened ten years ago. It sounded like something I could have made in about three minutes with a couple saw waves, some unison, and a tiny bit of FM through the arpeggiator in my Q if I had eaten way too much E, and been beat for a about a day an a half with a wedge of cheese, and found myself completely enlusted with some plasti-tittied over-tanned E-bunny in skintight stuff, glowsticks, and playing way too much with her tongue piercing, completely light up to toxicity. Even that's pushing it. But hey...if it makes you happy, and you think that that cheese-ball of a Roland unit is IT then more power to you. Go be happy and dance under the intellibeams and chemical smoke.

Ape

Message 7/65             26-Jan-04  @  02:39 AM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

psylichon

Damn ape... that sounds like a great time, especially the chick. You old, stinky fart

Message 8/65             26-Jan-04  @  01:10 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

milan

12dcos.mp3

btw... just for comparison, here's a sound of 12 DCO's in dry in mono.

dont think those extra 68 osci's sound much phatter :P

Message 9/65             26-Jan-04  @  02:11 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

RagnarOk

Hey Milan, that stuff is evil! :-)

BTW, I have trouble with the terminology WTF is DCO?

Message 10/65             26-Jan-04  @  02:25 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

Tom

DCO = Digitally controller oscillator.

Known not to be as warm as real analog oscillators, due to the fact that they're a lot more stable, and dont drift as much.

Tom

Message 11/65             26-Jan-04  @  07:16 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

cydonia cell

Sounds cool enough, yep! but I too wonder at whether the extra oscillators are actualy doing much... same thing can be done with 3.

and I knwo you weren't selling the sound as creative genious. I'm a glutton for bass me'self. But I prefer my basses with some interesting elements that due more than give me "E" sick on the dancefloor... hehehe

p

Message 12/65             26-Jan-04  @  09:55 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

RagnarOk

unthinkable.mp3

Ahha! Thanks for clearing this up.
Now guess what kind of synth is this!

Message 13/65             27-Jan-04  @  01:05 AM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

cydonia cell

Is it FM?... that little bell rise at the tail sounds damned DX!

e

Message 14/65             27-Jan-04  @  10:12 AM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

milan

its a freebie done with synthedit featuring heavy distortion?

Message 15/65             27-Jan-04  @  11:53 AM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

Rags

Reason Subtractor with 16 additional "unison notes" and a waveshaper/filter combo.

Message 16/65             27-Jan-04  @  12:11 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

milan

haha... i thought it might be a waveshaper (amongst other distortion types  )

hmm.. doesnt sound as phat either, but an interesting exercise nonetheless. how about we post some more examples and people tell if its s/w, h/w or what?

i was actually doing some analysing of vsti's few days ago to see how basic waveforms compare to each other and noticed few interesting things. mebbe i'll post a file of that and you all guess what it is?

Message 17/65             27-Jan-04  @  01:16 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

RagnarOk

Bring 'em on!

Message 18/65             27-Jan-04  @  10:52 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

influx

Link?:  Link

heh. laughing at pongoids response. NOTHING escapes your wrath, eh?

a simple "yawn" woulda sufficed, but no...you gotta attack the individual behind it, and the very essence of the whole thing...as if enjoying a supersaw preset from a JP is akin to criminality and the epitome of mediocrity.

make everyone feel as small as possible! what a goal!

Message 19/65             27-Jan-04  @  11:01 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

Pongoid

*Yawns*

Dude...shut up. You know how I feel about trance. Don't get me fuckin started. I didn't call Broken jack shit. You're trying to insinuate I did, so...you're the shit stirrer here. I just said I didn't think the sound was anything but total cheese. You don't like the way I said it then fuck you. It's your problem. Everybody else seemed to have gotten over it. Why can't you?

Ape

Message 20/65             28-Jan-04  @  12:23 AM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

milan

may i add another *yawn* to your conversation as its all been covered before a number of times?

Message 21/65             28-Jan-04  @  12:36 AM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

steve

hands up who's run out of ritalin?

Message 22/65             28-Jan-04  @  03:15 AM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

psylichon

Pongoid, just admit yer an asshole, let us agree, and then we can all move on.

Message 23/65             28-Jan-04  @  09:42 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

influx

fckin hilarious!

sucky thing is I couldnt sleep last night...

Message 24/65             28-Jan-04  @  11:10 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

Pongoid

Sure, I'm an asshole. Guess that makes two of us, psil. I've never said I was anything to the contrary. That does't make trance suck any less. Doesn't make that sound or ones like it any less lame. Broken could come up with better. What's your point?

Ape

Message 25/65             29-Jan-04  @  08:06 AM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

psylichon

Just calling the sky blue, my man.

Message 26/65             29-Jan-04  @  06:40 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

cydonia cell

For the record, Pongoid has always been clear that he's an asshole...

And really guys, so what?

e

Message 27/65             29-Jan-04  @  07:04 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

influx

so what, what?

Message 28/65             29-Jan-04  @  07:22 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

CydoniaCell

What?

e

Message 29/65             30-Jan-04  @  11:28 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

Pongoid

I'll tell you what: jp-8080's are for the most part overrated, especially for the price. SH-32 sucks ass as well. Roland could do so much better. Wish the VariOs wasn't such a rip-off of the chamaeleon, but admittedly some of the apps do seem pretty cool. The vp-9000 is a smokin tool. Why couldn't Roland have integrated some of its synth feature in the JP into that thing and made some even better?

*shrugs*

So not only am I an asshole, but I'm a bitchy one too. That's what. Now go make trance.

PWAHAWHAWHAWHAW!!!!...

Ape

Message 30/65             30-Jan-04  @  11:56 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

cydonia cell

Agreed Pongoid... The 8080 could have been a WAY better synth. I'm not clear on how it is that Roland is getting away with their current business model... 90% shit! The V synth is decent, but it's too many ideas in one box and very poorly implemented!

The thing is the 8080 IS a damned fine modeller, pretty good sound modelling, but featureless and gimicky!!! Don't even say SH32! DAMN!

e

Message 31/65             31-Jan-04  @  03:46 AM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

Broken Silence

Hah! Ape that last little spat you just had seemed like it was in response to something. Funny...were you responding to...whom?

I don't feel like making some huge intelligent, well punctuated insulting response so I'm gonna come right out with it.

You are an idiot. I don't like stupid people. I can prove why you're wrong any day of the week, but I'm just not up to it. What makes you stupid is that your argument is based on mis-guided judgement that you felt it was your duty to be the judge.

I'm not going to be some fucking looser ass geek who's trying to battle my synths against yours like its pokemon or something. I'll leave that to you as you seem so good at it. But what I will defend is trance. I'd like you to pipe down and shut up about it. Now I am not insulting by any means your specific music at all. I am just saying (since you tactfully chose about 90% of the genres on your DT page) that I listened to a few of your tunes to get a sense of what you consider to be intelligent music. I could define your genre as...hmm....breaks with no harmonial value at all. Actually, boring synth patches that sound like something my virus randomly generates played at random notes---based off of only one, non-changing base note.

I can't wait till trance evolves to that. Then what are you going to have? I guess your music will be cheese. Then you will resort to sticking a mic up your ass and farting, putting the sample to a few trash trucks rolling down an illpaved cobble stone street. Hey- it doesn't sound at all like trance! We don't care if it doesn't have any harmony, as long as it has something you've NEVER heard before (even if it sounds like shit) then it's cool-----and makes me a rebel. That means that our music is intelligent now---and I can brag about being such an individual--just like EVERYONE ELSE WHO LISTENS TO THE SAME KIND OF MUSIC AND MAKES THE EXACT SAME THING! Such a badass rebel you are, you individual, you.

Be careful there, you're trying so hard to be different that you're slamming youself into another piss poor genre of people.

Message 32/65             31-Jan-04  @  05:59 AM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

Broken Silence

But! I will argue with E  

I have both units--the SH and JP.

First lets start with the JP- yeah! Guess what its 2 nicknames are? "Piece of Shit" and..............."blue baby." As far as features, it gets whomped by many synths. As far as fatness (and im not talking supersaw, the other waveforms are crazy) its a huge ass synth. It's got so many little things that are just great like the treble and bass controls- they add such different characteristic than your normal eqs. I used to hate the filters, but they're so wispy and add a gorgeous emphasis to yer sound.

But the few features it has--are really good (and they all revolve around OSC 1)

It's got first off supersaw. Sounds like 2 synced saw waves when both osc controls (detune and supersaw mix) are at 0. Then it gets fatter etc when ya move it. No synth does this sound. Period. I don't care what synth you have- it does not emulate this sound. And to say something more- they've even made software emulators of it! That's how much this synth is going in the "hall of fame" or whatever...

Next is triangle mod which sounds sweet- its nice, gritty and really tweakable.

Next- the noise osc's which are great. Love em- with seperate keytracking filters and resonance on each osc

Next- Feedback osc--something I think alot of dters would like cause its a hardcore sounding thingie that basically takes a saw wave and sends it back through itself- with you being able to control the harmonics and feedback amount.

Then you have the basic Pulse with PWM etc...syncable to LFo...Saw that you can control the contour of the saw and be able to sync it to LFO as well..then the triangle wave with contor conrols again, and syncable to LFO

osc 2 is basic oscs- pulse with PWM, saw, tri, noise and external input- no contour controls on any though.

Cross mod is fucking awesome too- that plus feedback oscs makes some screaming distorted things. really cool sounding. Plus you can control how the cross mod works with an LFO.

Not to mention it's got 44 controllers---unison function---advanced velocity assignments--and a really advanced arpeggiator that can record knob movements and you can loop em on playback which is cool.

I think it's awesome. Not as deep as a fucking Q or something, but still none the less awesome. One thing I don't like about it is: The bastard envelopes. They're very sensitive so it is neccesary to have like 2 attack and 4 release on em for no clicking. Still, clicking can be good for percussive sounds etc.

The SH 32 on the other hand is a different story. Not gonna go as in depth, but it's more of a fun synth. Sucks for modulation etc as the JP does- but its got sub oscs per osc that sound amazing. Huge, fat, retro synth tones taht will seriously fuck up some speakers. Filter steps when controlled by hand- not noticable unless you're using a considerable amount of res on a 24 db filter and on something with long release or sustain...like pad type sounds. Otherwise it doesnt step if you have a filter sweep in your sequencer or something. For 199, its a great 4 parts to add if you need/want em. Its fun and easy as bunk to use.

What can i say, if they could have made a better synth, oh well. I'm happy as fuck with my JP-8080.

Message 33/65             31-Jan-04  @  01:49 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

k

ah.... It's nice to see people are passionate about their hobby *cough*

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 34/65             31-Jan-04  @  05:13 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

cydonia cell

LOL at K

Hey BS... I said I think it's a good modeller. the 8080 has a good sound... I'm saying the took a good modeller and gave it a half assed everything else, sorry man, but I just don't like those filters, they're not modelling shit... sound just like the filters on my old XP, whisch is fine, they're not bad filters, but they're not good filters either. shrug

And, I'm not dissin' man... not yuou anyway, my bag was on Roland. Hell I have a friggin' darkstar, and while it's nice for a few tricks, I could write a handbook on all of it's lame assed implementation, and poorly put together features... hehehe

p

Message 35/65             31-Jan-04  @  06:22 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

Pongoid

BS, I doubt you went to my tracks page and listened to my tracks, cuz a few of them a have PLENTY of harmonic content. Some of the others are meant strictly as DJ tools, and studies on certain themes.

Tell ya what.

http://www.deepnow.net/paperstreet/tracks/ape/pongoid-IsFunky.mp3

http://www.deepnow.net/paperstreet/tracks/ape/pongoid-Oryx.mp3

Don't even try to tell me you've got something better to say.

You certainly didn't listen to any of the live stuff, and as for the random patch reference, they probably seem like that to you because you haven't gone far enough into synthesis to program sounds like that on your own, which is fine, but at least you could focus your efforts in writing something with more dynamic excitement than trance lines.

http://www.deepnow.net/paperstreet/tracks/ape/brainDamage-liveatthestud.mp3

There ya go. All live, no edits, just a tiny bit of compression and EQ. Now go get yer fuckin shinebox. Unless you've got something to make me shut my mouth, like a track or better yet, a whole live set with sounds and ideas that are going to drop my jaw, don't tell me shit about my sounds, or how I use them, cuz what you've shown me so far has nothing on them, any of them.

It's nice to see you taking the time to illustrate your passion for a synth that I still find boring. Super Saw? Give me a fuckin break, dude. You make it sound like it's some sort of breakthrough that I couldn't draw as a waveform for any of several synths or samplers with any number of editors and load in, let alone stuff I could sample out of some friends' Serge panels. I said you could come up with better, because I had faith in you to be able to do that. I see that was misplaced, and you're not there yet. Ok, keep practicing, dude. Study hard, and I hope you grow beyond your narrow scope. It's good to see people excited about sounds, and this place needs that, however you still have quite a bit of exploration to do in timbre as well as rythm, obviously. Good luck, I mean it, you need it.

Ape

Message 36/65             31-Jan-04  @  08:16 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

stuff

frikkin DOPE tracks Ape

Message 37/65             31-Jan-04  @  09:02 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

Broken Silence

Ape, you took it the wrong way. I listened to a few of your tracks to get a sense of what you look for in music to deem it "intelligent"---

i was not talking about your music specifcally, like i said. It unfortunate that you took it that way becuase my rant was about you insulting trance- it was never about insulting the music you make.

You have to realise, thats what "funk breaks" or whatever sounds like to me. No harmonic content, bland and not fun. Maybe i will reach the awakening you people talk about and suddenly think trance is cheese, but i dont think that's gonna happen. its in my personality- epic trance...hey thats odd, i love epic movies and games too! It's my style.

I don't like funky things. I can appreciate them, but I won't like them. I don't like breaky things- again appreciation, but dont like.

That's all I'm asking for, is a bit of appreciation for trance. You may not like it, but I do. I have my reasons for liking it, you have yours for disliking. Same thing vice versa with breaks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The initial reason for my post with the 80 saws was not to show off any sort of patch. That patch i used was actually really basic- the only thing I was showing off was the fact that it was 80 saws. Not that it sounded good- as i've never used unison in my tracks anyways.

Message 38/65             01-Feb-04  @  10:04 AM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

psylichon

Why don't we save some time here... both of you just post pictures of your penises and call it a day.

Bragging about one's music.... comparing one's music to anything... trying to quantify value in any form of music. Waste of time, both of yas...

Message 39/65             01-Feb-04  @  12:48 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

milan

lol. well said psy...

some cool jazzy noodlings in those tracks Ape!

Message 40/65             02-Feb-04  @  03:56 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

Pongoid

*bows. Glad folks dug the stuff. I need to work on more of that, but it's really draining to do so.

Arpeggiations in and of themselves are not bad things, and can be used to good effect. Like everything else, it's all in context.

BS, perhaps I took your post the wrong way because you opened it up with a thread title "Bask in this my minions". If you can't dig the funk...well that's kind of a shame, and I honestly do feel sorry for you. Trance is just way too fuckin square for my tastes. If it makes you happy, then you certainly have every right to pursue it. I guess it's like raw oysters or fat chicks in bed; not my thing, but some people love them, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Ape

Message 41/65             03-Feb-04  @  10:12 AM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

Fierce

Pongoid, can your work be found on records out there?
omg, that live set sounds like a liquid crossover between Der Dritte Raum, and some
Lekebusch stuff, and a couple of other awesome acts i cant find the name of this moment.
AWESOME is the word! Playfullness... i really can see how you twist the knobs during
this set, you running midi aren' you? (dreaming   Some kind of vibe over this that make
me doubt it's playback.

Message 42/65             03-Feb-04  @  10:47 AM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

k

hey Broken Silence - is that your riff tho? - VERY nice if it is (sound sorta familiar tho to me)

Ape - nice stuff... I assume you dont add to the site cos of the lo-fi?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 43/65             03-Feb-04  @  12:45 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

Broken Silence

no, that line is from out of the blue - system F

i'd be rich if it was  

Message 44/65             03-Feb-04  @  03:50 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

Pongoid

http://k.ktus.free.fr/kktus_fr.htm

http://iotrecords.shamashcorps.com

and for some OLD stuff on CD

http://www.dancemusicshop.com/index.html

However, I'll be giving them some new stuff soon, too.

Yes, there is more material in the pipeline.

It's ALL MIDI, and all live, at a gay club called The Stud. I couldn't believe the fags went for it, but they ate it up. Gays and straights alike dug the set. The joint was bumpin. Good system too. That helped a LOT.

I'm very glad folks like it, but I still have a long way to go before I'll be anywhere near satisfied with my work, or the current state of affairs in performers, audiences, venues, management, and the world in general.

K, you hit the nail on the head. As an mp3 it's bad enough, but even more lo-fi....I work hard to make it not that way already. ;)

I hadn't intended this thread to end up as some sort of self-promotion, and I'm only giving folks this information because they asked for it. I originally only put up the links to illustrate some of the merits of music other than trance, what I think of as interesting synth sounds and some possible uses for them.

BTW, please feel free to sample, remix, recycle, mutilate, whatever, however in doing so, you A give me permission to do the same to your material, and B you must list Pongoid@hotmail.com in the credits for the origin of the sampled material. Likewise if using any of yours I will leave your contact in the credits as well.

Ape

Message 45/65             03-Feb-04  @  06:47 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

Broken Silence

Ape, you should make a funk remix of out of the blue

Message 46/65             06-Feb-04  @  02:35 AM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

Pongoid

a funk remix of what?

Message 47/65             06-Feb-04  @  03:19 AM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

BJT

KissandMakeUp

Message 48/65             06-Feb-04  @  03:54 AM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

Pongoid

Why don't you give me a BJ, T.

Message 49/65             06-Feb-04  @  07:42 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

bastiaan

I liked that snippet, as cliche as it was....it made me lust for a jp....again... ;)

Well, at least I finally made the switch to a Mac (well, my boss did that for me) so my
gearlust should be in check for at least a week or two...

Message 50/65             10-Feb-04  @  06:38 AM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

BeetleBug

Its a bit mad that i came across this thread coz Broken Slience it seems you're a bit like how i was about 4 years ago, i wouldnt listen to anthing except propper euphoric trance and that was all i used to make until i started to get into hip-hop which eventually lead to me having a big break away from trance alltogether.
When i was listing to hip-hop (which i still do) it made me think hang on a minute there is more than one style of music after all!!! and i started to lisen to all types of electronic music - breaks, dnb, techno, downbeat, chilled and house to name a few. When i finally got arround to listening to house it clicked, trance is basically (i hate to say it) the cheesy/pop/commercial side of house. Do your research and see were modern day trance came from!! it was taken from psycadelic trance which was big in the mid 90's, but psycadelic trance was more well.... psycadelic!! and that was concived though house music. If you have a propper unbiased listen to any good funky/deep house track or any good piece of music you will learn to like the funk and realize thats were the cutting edge of dance music is at, not on commercial radio staions and on compilations you can buy in your local supermarket. You cant buy house cd's in your local shop, you would have to go to a record shop and listen to 12" of black sliky stuff, for anything decent that is.

Oh and by the way i used to think that tracks like Toca's Miracle and Air Wave were classics, how daft is that! Belive it or not not one of my mates is so uninformed about music he thinks craig david started house....wtf!! So all im sayin is not to be oblivious to the routes of trance and other forms of music like i was!!!

One last moan!!! my opinion is that because trance dosent have any funk it lacks the soul it needs to be good music, listen to Mr Scruff now he's got soul, Trouser Jazz is a work of art. listen to old motown and diso - ooooozzzes soul, timeless, thats where it began. Ever heard of the hascenda??

I know maybe im being a bit harh, but because you seem as much into trance as i was, i thought i'd give you something to think about, listen to the funk were it all began!!! no funk no soul!!!!

Just my opinion tho nothing more nothing less, i dont know you from adam, vice versa, so no harm intended.

BeetleBug

Message 51/65             10-Feb-04  @  07:50 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

The Fist

Let it be said that electronic music NEVER learns how to "leave the audience wanting more". Instead, like a spoiled, immature little child, it shamelessly and greedily exploits any whiff of success it sees, to cartoonish extremes.

TRANCE drenched itself in the "should've been put to rest years ago" one-trick breakdown-build-anthem formula and senselessly driven it to new, insane levels of assinine.
Some songs have ridiculously long and drawn out breakdowns. Each song tries to outdo last week's hit anthem, reaching higher and higher, making the genre louder, fuller, and more exalted and gradiose. Good god, does this ever suck. The way megatrance producers shamelessly cash in on a particular sound is insulting sometimes. How can anyone take this trite, derivative garbage seriously? It's a bombastic, pompous, over-the-top, monstrously grotesque caricature of what trance used to be. It sounds like a really bad and corny Hollywood love scene.

This is the musical equivalent of drowning a meal in ketchup so you can't taste the original flavour anymore.
This is the musical equivalent of using big, obfuscating words in an effort to sound intelligent, but everyone knows you're just full of shit.
This music is the bargain bin of electronic music. It also encompasses those signature-melody tracks that are always packaged in 'BEST CLUB ANTHEMS EVER' compilations, which are the musical equivalent of junk food.

If you have any form of music to blame for electronic dance music hitting the mainstream, Trance it is. And that really, truly, terribly sucks.

Message 52/65             10-Feb-04  @  08:14 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

Broken Silence

I have been playing the piano for 14 years. I listened to folk music up until I went to germany and discovered trance. No, I do not only listen to trance. I don't even just make trance. Check my userpage- I have new age music that I have written, classical music, chillout music, and break-beat.

What if I like trance?

Message 53/65             10-Feb-04  @  08:59 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

craig

A blanket statement like "all ______________ sucks" is just plain ignorant. There's something to be learned and enjoyed from every style of music.

Even if it's what not to do in your tracks  

Message 54/65             10-Feb-04  @  09:18 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

Bastiaan

I couldn't care less... songs like the ever so nice binary finary or tiesto clockwork orange still make the hairs on my neck stand...couldn't care less if it is the musical equivalent of Mc Donalds.

Admittedly I also like *both* german and italian opera even if both were once improper and no-done according to various elites at various times.

Message 55/65             10-Feb-04  @  10:17 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

BluStudio

lol, love it when you unregistered ballbags post garbage like that 'fist'

log in, upload YOUR music, then have a pop at someone on here ok - im suspecting these posts are all from the same person trying to stir shit anyway

You know-fucking-what actually, id love all you arseholes that say how easy it is to make a good sounding trance track to actually fucking MAKE one and post it here- better yet, just post back and tell me what label its coming out on and what edition of 'best club anthems ever' so i can go listen

if not, just fuck off and keep quiet- do what you do and let others do the same

blu

Message 56/65             10-Feb-04  @  11:08 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

milan

The Fist... unfortunately the most can be said for 90% of music out there, regardless of genre... apart from that i'd say you're about right.

Blu... what about skills if everything sounds the same and formulaic?

Message 57/65             11-Feb-04  @  03:07 AM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

BeelteBug

Im not saying not to like trance, but to just listen to other styles of music. I used to be bang into trance and now ive grown out of it. As with many people my musical tastes have changed over time to not like trance anymore. Just the same as you BS with folk music but i turned in another direction to house music whcih is just were trance came/evolved from. I find listening to the sound of house gave me that all important groove and funk that inspires me today, all im sayin is to not ignore the routes of trance and have a listen you might like it!!!

Glad to hear your not as stupid as i was with only listening to trance all the time which clouded my judgment about other styles. Some of you may remember me from a few years back i used to post a lot of my tracks up on this site, always euphoric trance. In fact i have posted under 2 prevoius names on these forums: - FUSION and BUG. I always used to post trance under fusion, then i had a break form the net because i moved out my mums, my girlfriend had a baby, moved house twice and then set up BUG here on DT and posted a load of my new stuff mostly hip hop and house as i had well and truly stoped listening to trance by this point.

BluStudio i didnt post anything else not under the new name i use for house - BeetleBug. The reason i changed my name to BeetleBug here on DT is because ive got a forth comng release on Cuba Records under this name, the original track is funnily enough a trance affair called Lullaby with my house remix on the flip side. I also have a track called Wake Up which i have just recived a contract for from Dirty Blue Records formerly Minimal Records and another remix called Lac Of Dub which is still in the works for a label owned by Rowan Blades called RockSteady Records (i think!!!), so if you want to listen to my stuff you can buy it when its released, but it wont be on no comilations, mabe mixed in a live set by a house dj tho. I have also had a trance release on a sh1tty local label which was a compilation. So there you have it i have been on a compilation for a trance track ive made. As for making it, i personally used find it a piece of p1ss to knock a trance tune together and if you want you can look for my old user name on here if it still exsists and have a listen to what type of trance i made, if you really want i'll upload some of my old tracks i still have them around somewhere.

Please do not make false acusations against me as i am not someone who would directly say trance is rubbish ect.. i understand that people have there own tastes and that is fine, to insult a genre of music just because your not into it isnt exacly fair is it, all i do is give my opinion about the music i like and it is just my opinion after all.

As said in my 1st post im not trying to offend anyone Just my opinion nothing more nothing less, i dont know you from adam, vice versa, so no harm intended. ok!?!  

BeetleBug formerly BUG and Fusion

Message 58/65             11-Feb-04  @  03:34 AM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

Paulbug61

Here check out my tracks im logged in now!!!! no trance on this user name tho!!

Im gonna have a look to see if i can get my old Fusion password back tho just to see what stuff is still on there, if its still alive!!!! which i doubt.

To be honest i need to update my tracks on DT and user details but im on dial up until the end of the month when im looking to get on a 512k/1 meg connection. Until then i cant upload any of my new mixes as it would take ages.

Beetle

Message 59/65             11-Feb-04  @  04:42 AM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

Broken Silence

Thanks beetle   Intelligently made point---

Blu wasnt talking to you tho, he was talking to that Fist cvnt ................eehhehehehe fist cvnt heeheeheeehhh

anyhow, fist you're a whiney little bitch. how i'd love to hit you  

i love it...people trying to preech to me to stop listening to the kind of music I love...thats great.

it's fuc-ed that you think you have the right to walk around and tell people that their music/dedication sucks and is trash.

especially when you're talking to someone....like me. I live in washington dc. 99% of the people here dont know what "trance" is.

And I'm not exaggerating.

i've never met one person in my lifetime in the flesh who listens to trance. i discovered it with a friend in germany, brought a compilation home here. this was when i was playing the guitar and piano---somewhat the drums. i listened to...well everything. then i liked trance..there was something in it that i couldn't get away from. its emotion was undescribeable compared to anything i had ever heard.

guess what. it still is. and it hasn't toned down one bit. actually- if you knew your ass from a hole in the ground you f-cking idiot you would know that the exact style you mention is no where near what trance is now...and frankly what trance has been for the past 3 years. listen to some gabriel and dresden, then go back to your little underground music and see how that sits with you.

the new trance style isn't my bag, but if you're gonna slam trance, please at least be able to say that you've heard it before, as you haven't.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i can't stand people who argue things that they don't know two shits about.

Message 60/65             11-Feb-04  @  08:49 AM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

k

welcome back Beetle - nice to see you got some stuff out - like to hear it if you can post it!

I know what you mean, some people find trance to 'square' rhythmicaly, i personaly like trance fr other reasons, but good tribal grooves are still good even if they dont swing much.

Message 61/65             11-Feb-04  @  09:01 AM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

psylichon

everyone moves from one genre of music to another at some point in their life... and believe it or not, some people go from "deeper" forms of music to [gasp] trance!.... it happens every day even!!

And everyone, having found their new genre... seemingly in order to appease their ego... feels the need to view their new interest as some sort of personal evolution to a higher level of musical meaning.

But the problem is we have no frame of reference so you're both fucking wrong so just enjoy your music and shut the hell up.

Message 62/65             11-Feb-04  @  08:07 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

beds

what trance for an open mind?

Message 63/65             12-Feb-04  @  04:23 AM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

BeelteBug

Thanx BS i just dont want people to make the same stupid mistakes i did with being so closed minded so i am very opinoinated about music.
The reason i dont like trance anymore is because all the local as we call em 'scally's' (dont know what you would call em in the US) all love trance, in fact they love it that much that they blast it out of there cars as they drive by my house every day and round our way (Liverpool UK) trance might as well be classed as pop music that many people listen to it and know one has any idea about house music styles which does make it quite underground in my area. In fact it sounds mad to me that no one has heard of it round your way, it just shows how much musical tastes differ all over the world!!!

Sorry Blu if i misread your post, it was just coz you said about all the posts being from the same person that i took off!!!! as i said im not trying to offend anyone, i just want to get on with making tunes man.

Hi K cheers for da welcome back i'll get some stuff posted at the end of the month and edit my profile ect....
I love tribal and have made 1 or 2 you may like!!! but most of my stuff is derrick carter/dj sneak style funk or at least its meant to be!!!! l also have some tek house bits if you like that too.
Hopefully myself and a couple of mates are going to be starting up an internet radio station soon called Bumpin' Radio so i will give DT a link on the site when its up and running mabe end of march or beginning of aprill. But in the meantime if you want to have a listen to some of my tracks i will be doing a radio show on halton fm (which is also broardcast on the net) for 4 weeks in march with the aforementioned mates, we will be playing tons of new records, mixing live and have a cracking line up of guest mixes even if i do say so my self!!! - DJ Sneak!!!! - Layo and Bushwacker - Miles Elliot - Superchumbo - H-Foundation and more planned for Bumpin' Radio when its up so tune in man, i'll post more about it, links and stuff soon.

Later

Beetle

Message 64/65             02-Mar-04  @  06:23 PM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

Music

Good music is good music, no one has the right to say something is cheese or what ever if a bit of music moves you or floats your boat then it is simply a great bit of music, lets keep it simply if all you can do is slag others then you probably shouldn't try to do music unless you subject yourself to your own rules!

Message 65/65             07-Mar-04  @  01:46 AM   -   RE: bask in this my minions!

mcc>

it's silly to not like something because LOTS of other people are liking it too.
scallies or whoever.....

i mean lots of people like water and air and food and sex....so you gonna NOT like those things for that reason!??

was that funky fries with that housey-burger?

it's the NEW deep man.

oh but we gotta pay just to get a peek.

Viewing all 65 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7

There are 65 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)