aaa Firewire for PC? (828MKII) - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Firewire for PC? (828MKII)

Viewing all 30 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/30             07-Feb-04  @  09:58 PM   -   Firewire for PC? (828MKII)

Influx

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Im lookin at gettin a MOTU 828MKII to streamline my system even more (wont need a monitor mixer anymore, or heck, a patchbay even!) and am not sure what a good firewire PCI card to get is.

MOTU rec's against certain chips on the card, and says get either TI or...another one...

anyone have suggestions?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/30             07-Feb-04  @  10:06 PM   -   RE: Firewire for PC? (828MKII)

Influx

well shiiit. theres also the Edirol UA-1000

USB...no additional cards.

Id rather have the extra inputs on the BACk and just two on the front tho...

hmmm

Message 3/30             07-Feb-04  @  10:33 PM   -   RE: Firewire for PC? (828MKII)

milan

there's also Presonus Firestation as a firewire solution... that one has little gain adjustment screws on top which is handy if you're planning on going without a mixer i guess.

Message 4/30             08-Feb-04  @  01:10 AM   -   RE: Firewire for PC? (828MKII)

Influx

heard some crappy things about that one.

I like the features on the MOTU more...

true about the no mixer thing, but...Ive always just recorded my virus direct at line level anyway, into the RME, and it has worked fine.

heh. Im probably doin something wrong.

the MOTU has gain on the inputs as well, I believe?

Message 5/30             08-Feb-04  @  06:50 AM   -   RE: Firewire for PC? (828MKII)

toast

Link?:  No link

As much as I mistrust motu I'd go with whatever they say on this one. My experience with firewire on a pc is that it's not actually a standard. Your firewire card has to be compatable with the firewire chip on the device. I dont have any experience with firewire audio cards but I've had a lot of wierd things happen with drives including perfectly functional drives deciding they were no longer connected to my system while they were in the middle of writing. Older adaptech firewire cards and the built in ones on older dell laptops are suspect in my book. I'm sure there are others to be avoided as well.

Message 6/30             08-Feb-04  @  11:09 AM   -   RE: Firewire for PC? (828MKII)

Influx

yeah...I got that part...

also kinda lookin for input regarding any experience with this interface, too.

anyone?

thanks for the input toast

Message 7/30             09-Feb-04  @  11:13 AM   -   RE: Firewire for PC? (828MKII)

k

that one looks interesting too

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 8/30             09-Feb-04  @  06:11 PM   -   RE: Firewire for PC? (828MKII)

The Moujik

Influx - been looking at the same interface, but haven't really been able to find much concrete stuff on PC compatability..... basically just the stuff I'm sure you've read on the MOTU site (don't use NEC-based cards, get TI or Lucient) etc

In general though, the impression I get from here & places like the SOS forums is that all MOTU stuff can be fairly flakey on PC... on the other hand there are quite a few people on the Cakewalk/Sonar forums (obviously all PC based) who seem to be running them with no problems.

Anyway, sorry..... I haven't really helped at all, but I'd be really interested too if anyone had anything solid on this subject.

Message 9/30             09-Feb-04  @  06:26 PM   -   RE: Firewire for PC? (828MKII)

influx

Link?:  Link

well, Ive ordered one, so I guess I'll be a guinea pig for ya 

K..that looks interesting, but...never heard of those folks!

Message 10/30             09-Feb-04  @  06:34 PM   -   RE: Firewire for PC? (828MKII)

The Moujik

Good man!

Message 11/30             09-Feb-04  @  07:46 PM   -   RE: Firewire for PC? (828MKII)

milan

hehe... good luck. i think you stand a better chance since there's no pci card to cause problems.

Message 12/30             10-Feb-04  @  01:45 AM   -   RE: Firewire for PC? (828MKII)

influx

firewire cards are PCI tho

seem less troublesome tho...dunno

Message 13/30             10-Feb-04  @  06:06 AM     Edit: 10-Feb-04  |  06:08 AM   -   RE: Firewire for PC? (828MKII)

psylichon

The problem with MOTU is that they won't admit a problem when they have it. I did tons of research on the issue of our PCI-324 (interface card for a MOTU 1212) not showing up on the spankin' new built-for-gigasampler-PC we have at the studio where I work. The regular old Wave driver just wouldn't load, and even though Giga *kinda* worked without it (using GSIF drivers that did load correctly), it was flaky as hell. Anyway, nowhere on the MOTU site is it mentioned that PCI Post Write needs to be disabled in the BIOS for PCI-324 cards to work at all... I had to find that out through forums. Now, this problem has been around since the 2408 MK1, and is apparently well-known among MOTU users, so isn't it a little BULLSHIT not to have any mention of it from the company??

The worst part is the motherboard we got at work didn't even HAVE the option to turn of PCI post write, so fixing the problem would have required no less than a total software hack job. Out with that mobo, in with the new.

It's nearly as hard to find official information on their parallel port MIDI interface issue that has plagued them forEVER.

Rant over, point being don't ever trust MOTU when it comes to compatibility issues with PCs. But when you do the workarounds and get them to work, the general consensus (myself included) is that they are stable as fuck and sound amazing. Pro when it works, annoying when it doesn't.

Message 14/30             10-Feb-04  @  02:23 PM   -   RE: Firewire for PC? (828MKII)

craig

I agree with that. MOTU still think that it's 1990 and the only way to make music on the computer is with a Mac. And they still think it's OK to have a week's turnaround time on email support. I wound up selling my 2408 for these reasons. It worked for about a week, and then I started getting little pops in all my audio. After a couple weeks of back and forth (like 2 whole messages from MOTU in 3 weeks) I ditched it for a Frontier WaveCenter. Buh-bye...

However, I will say that their MIDI Timepiece is the bomb and I'll never use another kind of MIDI Interface.

Message 15/30             11-Feb-04  @  08:51 AM   -   RE: Firewire for PC? (828MKII)

k

hercules - also I dont know 'em, but ETCETERA I doubt would take on a crap product - we had a brief chat about it and they said it's a rocking product works well.... and why not... a few years back Hoontech were nobody's.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 16/30             11-Feb-04  @  10:43 AM   -   RE: Firewire for PC? (828MKII)

influx

I dont even know the shop, tho, and sadly my experience is that most of em are purely interested in sales, regardless of true results. sad.

actually found an 828mkii for $500. Stupid low, so...hopefully it pans out.

Message 17/30             11-Feb-04  @  11:30 AM   -   RE: Firewire for PC? (828MKII)

milan

hercules... maybe its a rocking product but i see no volume knob except for headphones???

Message 18/30             11-Feb-04  @  06:42 PM   -   RE: Firewire for PC? (828MKII)

influx

might be like the MOTU...dual purpose pot for mains and phones. Push to switch

Message 19/30             11-Feb-04  @  06:57 PM   -   RE: Firewire for PC? (828MKII)

milan

maybe... to be honest, i really dont understand what took manufacturers so long to catch up to the fact that a lot of ppl only want an adio interface in their studio, without additional mixer... but it looks like they're coming at last. gotta get me something ismmilar one day... *sigh*

Message 20/30             11-Feb-04  @  07:45 PM     Edit: 11-Feb-04  |  08:16 PM   -   RE: Firewire for PC? (828MKII)

craig

What did you hear about the Presonus you didn't like? I'm looking at them (drooling over the upcoming FirePod)

-Craig

Message 21/30             18-Feb-04  @  09:07 PM   -   RE: Firewire for PC? (828MKII)

Efny

Link?:  No link

I run a 828Mk2 on my PC with no problem. I also run a Powercore Firewire on another firewire port and it works fine that too. The PCI-firewire-card I use is Adaptec Fireconnect 4300.

Message 22/30             20-Feb-04  @  11:45 PM   -   RE: Firewire for PC? (828MKII)

Moujik

New Edirol firewire looks ok too ^^

Message 23/30             28-Feb-04  @  10:04 AM   -   RE: Firewire for PC? (828MKII)

influx

thank you efny!

Message 24/30             05-Mar-04  @  04:03 AM   -   RE: Firewire for PC? (828MKII)

Influx

well, got it installed. Quite easy to do. already forgot the name of the FW card I bought...but it seems to be workin fine

EXCEPT I cant get windows to play through it (really only want media player so I can listen to MP3s) and stinkin wavelab plays back at like half speed, which logic tells me is due to the sample rate, but everything is set at 44.1

oh...to the cats that said they use one of these...I didnt get a PC manual with it...

is there any way to double the main outs to another pair of outs? I have a Behringer RTA and just want to send a second pair of outs to the RTA but not go _through_ it to my monitors...

Message 25/30             05-Mar-04  @  04:26 AM   -   RE: Firewire for PC? (828MKII)

Influx

heh. PC manual is on the flipside of the mac manual. doh!

Message 26/30             07-Mar-04  @  02:53 AM   -   RE: Firewire for PC? (828MKII)

Influx

EFNI...

Im still tryin to mirror the main outs so I can send to my RTA. cant for the life of me figure it out!

Message 27/30             07-Mar-04  @  11:29 AM   -   RE: Firewire for PC? (828MKII)

milan

dont you have that CueMix utility for routing?

Message 28/30             07-Mar-04  @  05:40 PM   -   RE: Firewire for PC? (828MKII)

Influx

that seems to be for routing inputs etc.

Ive tried everything I can think of, and i have read the manual. cant get it to work!

grrrr

Message 29/30             07-Mar-04  @  07:59 PM   -   RE: Firewire for PC? (828MKII)

psylichon

On the 2408, it's on the control console where you adjust buffer sizes. There's a button called "enable routing" that allows you to redirect outputs and stuff. This may not be what you're looking for, tho... [shrug]

Message 30/30             07-Mar-04  @  08:19 PM   -   RE: Firewire for PC? (828MKII)

Influx

nope

Viewing all 30 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 30 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot