aaa looking for a keyboard/synthesizer - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

25-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: looking for a keyboard/synthesizer

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             09-Mar-04  @  05:57 AM   -   looking for a keyboard/synthesizer

the-van

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

First I'd like to say sorry for posting a dumb newb question, but I'm finding all the brands/models/info on the internet a little daunting, so here it goes. I've been playing the piano for 11 years, and I'm looking for a keyboard synth. I've got a budget of about $1000 and am looking for something with 88 weighted keys, USB connection and preferably made in Japan (I'm going to Japan in about a month and will be browsing the discount electronics districts) I'm hoping to get into ambient and acid jazz, I know I'll need a sampler, but is there any software that anyone could recommend for this? I'm good with computers, so that isn't a problem. (I'm using the synth as a way into this kind of music and hopefully be able to get a sampler later) Also since I am new to this stuff, any recommended reading? Thanks in advance.

The Van

P.S. I was looking at the yamaha s80, anyone know if this is a good model?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             09-Mar-04  @  06:40 AM   -   RE: looking for a keyboard/synthesizer

mcc>

Link?:  No link

can't go wrong with yamaha....i don't think.
but you should be able to get into a motif for that kind of money.

go into some stores and just start playing the things before you jump into anything.
especially if the whole weighted-keys things is highly important to you.

Message 3/5             09-Mar-04  @  02:04 PM   -   RE: looking for a keyboard/synthesizer

craig

Link?: Link

You won't be able to get into any Motif for $1000 US, especially not with 88 keys. The only new synth in your range with 88 keys and anything close to synth sounds is going to be the Alesis QS-8.

Message 4/5             10-Mar-04  @  03:51 AM   -   RE: looking for a keyboard/synthesizer

mcc>

not even at a japanese discount district?
then again...i was thinking used motif.

Message 5/5             18-Mar-04  @  05:47 AM   -   RE: looking for a keyboard/synthesizer

Optofonik - AKA, mick, rhyze, etc.

The QS8 for ambient? Get the vintage synth and orchestral expansion cards. The modulation options are pretty cool but there is no rez. I would, however, suggest an 88 key controller and plugins. For that matter if its ambient you're interested in ditch the keyboard entirely, enter your note data into a sequencer manually and, again, use plugins as your sound generation sources.

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)