aaa CubaseSX performance: Power hungry! - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

20-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: CubaseSX performance: Power hungry!

Viewing all 13 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/13             10-Mar-04  @  10:44 PM   -   CubaseSX performance: Power hungry!

mandylion

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

How is it for you people... is Cubase SX more power hungry than Cubase VST 5.1? When I imported a song that I made with Cubase VST 5.1 to Cubase SX the 'VST performance' rised from 40% to 70%... ......that sucks big time.   ....is there anything I can do about it? My sound card is Echo MIA and I use buffer size 512 = 13 millisecond latency... I can't use any bigger buffer size or the latency becomes too long and unplayful.  

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/13             10-Mar-04  @  10:51 PM   -   RE: CubaseSX performance: Power hungry!

mandylion

Sorry.. I ment Cubase SX 2

Message 3/13             11-Mar-04  @  07:36 AM   -   RE: CubaseSX performance: Power hungry!

k

um, I dunno about that it seems quite efficient to me

example, I setup a duron 700 system as a test box a few yeras back which was given to a mate as a system - it runs VST5 & Reason 1 in synth

it was upgraded to SX2 & REASON 2.5, and it still runs fine just the same

did you change anything in your pc also? - like change the OS from 98 to XP?

Message 4/13             11-Mar-04  @  10:15 AM   -   RE: CubaseSX performance: Power hungry!

mandylion

Nope.. nothing else. I have had Windows 2000 last 3 years.

Message 5/13             11-Mar-04  @  03:09 PM   -   RE: CubaseSX performance: Power hungry!

k

dunno mate - sx2 runs on my test athlon 2ghz (1667) at about 5% running a smallish mix with a hungry soft like BFD drums running

sounds like somethings up

whats the pc spec anyways?

Message 6/13             11-Mar-04  @  04:01 PM   -   RE: CubaseSX performance: Power hungry!

dARKSTATe

Link?: Link

..also, what plugs were you using in your tracks? Chances are if they were old "legacy" VST5.1 plugs, they're known to cause problems within SX & SX2 - gawd only knows I've had problems with some of them!

(jus' passin' through)

Marc_D

Message 7/13             11-Mar-04  @  05:34 PM   -   RE: CubaseSX performance: Power hungry!

mandylion

Plugs I used: Stereo Expander, DaTube, NaturalVerb and some sub bass plug that SX couldn't find.... all of them are Cubase own plugs I believe. Biggest power eater seems to be Reaktor VSTi..... but still.. same track took less power in VST 5.1 . My computer's specs: AMD K7 Thunderbird 1333Mhz 266, Asus A7M266 AMD761 Socket A DDR, (2x) 128MB DDR ram PC266Mhz, Matrox G450 32MB DDR Dualhead and IBM 40GT 7200rpm hard drive + latest drivers for Echo MIA......so far no problems. Maybe I will buy new computer since that's been in my mind anyway... that should solve the problem.  

(ps. what's 'line space'... I don't know how to create paragraph breaks to these messages)

Message 8/13             11-Mar-04  @  05:41 PM   -   RE: CubaseSX performance: Power hungry!

mandylion

Sorry I mixed up some terms.. my english skills lacks.

Enter seems to work now.

testing more...

Message 9/13             11-Mar-04  @  06:32 PM   -   RE: CubaseSX performance: Power hungry!

influx

Link?:  Link

hey there

I just scored SX2 and installed yesterday

sure hope it works because 1.06 FLIPS OUT now, looking for my UAD-1 card. so...1.06 got uninstalled.

anyway, I can confirm that projects take a little more CPU than they did even in 1.06. this is actually well documented at the cubase.net forums.

Message 10/13             11-Mar-04  @  11:37 PM   -   RE: CubaseSX performance: Power hungry!

k

jesus!...128mb!... that's a little amount

Message 11/13             11-Mar-04  @  11:49 PM   -   RE: CubaseSX performance: Power hungry!

influx

heh. I didnt see that!

yeah, man. 128 is NOT enough for any serious DAW work

512minimum.

its cheap, man. go get some.

or yeah, do a general upgrade. use your current for internet or somethin

Message 12/13             12-Mar-04  @  11:49 AM   -   RE: CubaseSX performance: Power hungry!

mandylion

I have 2 x 128 so in total 256. DDR ram was new and very pricey thing 3 years ago.

Yeah I'm gonna get new computer and use this for something else. I think that might also solve my sound module problem.. i.e... I don't need one when I have fast enough puter.

Message 13/13             12-Mar-04  @  05:15 PM   -   RE: CubaseSX performance: Power hungry!

influx

nope, you sure dont. for the cost of a hardware synth you can get atmosphere, absynth, reaktor and some of the cheaper synths, too!

keep in mind that cubase comes with the Universal Sound Module which has usable sounds as well

Viewing all 13 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)