aaa furniture - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: furniture

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/15             07-May-04  @  01:45 PM   -   furniture

daf

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

hiya this is a rambling question but i hope you can make sense of it!

what do most of you do for sorting out the lay out of your 'home/bedroom studio'?
over the years ive acquired bits and bobs [like a 4 track and a cupple of racktype reverb/filters and an mc303 adn bass station and sw60xg....] which has been fine and let me do things that are fun. recently ive got a newish pc with sonar and absynth on it and feel that probably i ought to get rid of [put in loft] all this old stuff and vastly simplify my layout....so my first question is: should i abandon it all and stick with my newer things?

sort of behind this question is this: how should i or how do you lay out all your stuff? currently the pc sits on a kitchen table with wires dangling off to a hi fi amp that is so un ergonomically miles away that its awkward to turn on/off adjust volume....the fourtrack i sbalanced as is everythnig else precarioulsy on bits of the table or in the corner awaiting use...i have to say its beginnng to do my hed in...

in the backs of mags like sos you see these expensive quick lok desks...i guess that may simplify my layout....

does any of this make sense?

how ergonomic is your layout??

currently i use an old pair of kef coda 3 speakers with a modest hi fi amp and some senheiser hd400 hedphones...ive got used to these; is ther much difference between these and some cheap active monitors like the maudio bx5???

any suggestions would be good

cheers

dafclick-to-email

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/15             07-May-04  @  02:08 PM   -   RE: furniture

craig

Go out to an office supply place and buy a sensible computer desk with space for all the stuff you need to put on it.

Here's my layout

There's another rack in the near-left corner (not seen in the pic) which houses my rack synths.

All the pictures are at http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~cjdrabik/studio

I got my metal rack stands for about $80US or so apiece. They tilt and they're on wheels in case you need to get back there. The desk came from Office Max and was about $100.

I'm getting new paint and carpet in that room soon, and I think I'm going to junk the large desk for a smaller desk, and put the mixer on a quicklock mixer stand, similar to my free-standing rack. That'll open up some much needed space in the room - when they guy who is playing guitar comes over, his shit has to sit in the adjacent dining room.

Message 3/15             07-May-04  @  05:31 PM   -   RE: furniture

daf

hiya
thanks for the images craig.

any more for any more?

click-to-email

Message 4/15             07-May-04  @  06:09 PM   -   RE: furniture

craig

Spend a lot of time thinking. Take rough measurements of everything, including your room. Sit down with a pad of grid paper or an application like Visio or something, and lay it all out.

-Craig

Message 5/15             07-May-04  @  08:14 PM     Edit: 07-May-04  |  08:17 PM   -   RE: furniture

BluStudio

File?:  [image]

[image file]

Theres some of my shit on quicklok stuff

I thought it would be real cheap nasty stuff, but it turned out pretty nice (very strong and sturdy)

the desk is Z555

One of the racks is a angled open back thing, bout hundred squids. Theres a target one in there too

blu

Message 6/15             07-May-04  @  10:10 PM   -   RE: furniture

Influx

File?:  [image]

[image file]

theres me

Message 7/15             09-May-04  @  03:46 PM   -   RE: furniture

daf

thanks for your pictures and common sense....actually the photos are a kind of inspiration...

cheers

daf

Message 8/15             10-May-04  @  11:01 AM   -   RE: furniture

k

Link?:  No link

dude.... is that a Ricky bass there leaning against the keys?

if you dont have much gear, you can get those little table-top racks that stand up for your few bits of rack gear, and bung that onto/besides a pc desk as suggested

Message 9/15             10-May-04  @  11:50 AM     Edit: 10-May-04  |  11:50 AM   -   RE: furniture

BluStudio

And if you want some ill sell you 2 new ones i have for about £40 squid for the pair (openbacked and top, mint)

Nimmouk@aol.com

Message 10/15             10-May-04  @  06:12 PM   -   RE: furniture

k

Link?:  Link

or have one made - here's one I designed earlier - had it made and works a treat - sadly I dont have room for it now in my current location cos it's about 8 ft long and just too big to fit properly

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 11/15             10-May-04  @  06:15 PM   -   RE: furniture

k

the side-panels above are made from 3/4" MDF board btw - cheap

the beauty of a system like that is it keeps everything together so you can add/make your wiring looms to fit, and anywhere you move to the wires will reach of course cos you're not dependent on: "Oh, ok, i'll put the keyboards over here.... & the rack over there.....damn!... now the leads wont reach the mixer!!

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 12/15             10-May-04  @  06:19 PM   -   RE: furniture

Influx

"dude.... is that a Ricky bass there leaning against the keys?"

yup. '74 Rick 4000 MapleGlo

Message 13/15             10-May-04  @  06:25 PM   -   RE: furniture

k

there's a line drawing so you can see more how it works - basicaly it's a steel framed console which slopes forward (the angle/dgree of slope determined by how you cut the angle on the two side-panels.

Mixer sits in the middle - you get a 19" rack down each side and a shelf at the back - stand-alone!

Message 14/15             12-May-04  @  07:40 PM   -   RE: furniture

daf

hi all
thanks for your suggestions...i shall be pondering and measuring soon.

daf

Message 15/15             21-Jun-04  @  09:55 PM   -   RE: furniture

k

Link?:  No link

very nice of you to pop back and say so - cheers  

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot