aaa Jungle not Rumble Basslines - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Jungle not Rumble Basslines

Viewing all 14 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/14             11-May-04  @  12:15 PM   -   Jungle not Rumble Basslines

Peter Black

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I need some advice on building jungle syle basslines but the ones that go "wamp, wamp, wamp". Not big sine subs. It sounds to me if they are:-

1. Using a square wave
2. Modulating the filter cutoff (but with what - pitch wheel?)
3. Velocity modulating attack (so lower velocity equal longer attack times - "wamp" sound)
4. Then add a bit of saturation/distortion.

Problem is that my basslines still sound crap. Any hints?

No compression comments please - I know! More about synth programming I reckon. :-)

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/14             11-May-04  @  07:01 PM   -   RE: Jungle not Rumble Basslines

cydonia cell

Well, you've got the hang of it... but, don't rely on the envelope to bring the sound up... us a deep (24db) low pass filter and just cut everything out... then when you trigger open the filter up... it's done best with an envelo0pe of the filter... or an LFO, but not on the amp... you loose a lot of impact with a weak attack. It's the filter that does the wumping, not the volume. Test this out by running a square wave into a low pass and turning the knob real quick like... but be careful, depending on your sound source you might hurt your monitors... the trick here is in the resonance setting of your low pass, too much and it'll squeel, not enough and it won't go THUMP when it hits the balance... if you play with it, you'll see the spot I'm talking about... you may want to try tweaking the res and cutoff together, so their moving at differently polarities... like as the cutoff comes up the resonance goes down, etc...

Distort or amp sim!!! and try using more than one oscillator, detuning the second, Considerably... the distortion effect should pull the detuned oscillator in and give it that wicked horror feeling.

try two voices... one on a bandpass, the other on a low.. then just tweak the band pass, that way the overall sound stays solid while it tweaks and thumps... Optikal was known for that!

Tweak your filter with whatever gives you control. Most fools use the cutoff and resonance knobs... but a wheel would work... whatever... .... ...

oh, and yeah, it's a square wave (you're right)... but you know, we've all heard the detuned square wave on a rising lowpass over and over again... you might want to consider pushing the idea into new places...

e

Message 3/14             11-May-04  @  09:17 PM   -   RE: Jungle not Rumble Basslines

Pongoid

Link?: Link

Send the oscillators through a 12db hi-pass, set for somewhere around 45-60Hz before they go into the lo-pass. That will clean and tighten the bass quite nicely. Trust me.

Ape

Message 4/14             08-Jun-04  @  10:26 AM   -   RE: Jungle not Rumble Basslines

Peter

Pongoid - what a fantastic tip. Removing 40hz sounds MUCH tighter and frees up a bit of headroom. I'm using this technique on all my synth sounds now and it works really well, especially on bass and lo pads/strings. Wicked mate! Got any more tips? :-)

Message 5/14             08-Jun-04  @  12:37 PM   -   RE: Jungle not Rumble Basslines

dissonance

the ape has got a gang of tips... but alas, the first one is free, each additional tip will cost you.

Message 6/14             08-Jun-04  @  07:28 PM   -   RE: Jungle not Rumble Basslines

k

Link?:  Link

yeah - a blow job for each

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 7/14             08-Jun-04  @  07:32 PM   -   RE: Jungle not Rumble Basslines

beds

rofl

Message 8/14             09-Jun-04  @  12:31 PM   -   RE: Jungle not Rumble Basslines

peter

ahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahaahahahahahahahahah - oh that was the funniest thing ever! ahahhahahahah - blowjobs -ahahahhahahahahahah!!! :-)

Message 9/14             09-Jun-04  @  02:46 PM   -   RE: Jungle not Rumble Basslines

k

yes... it was rather... carry on

filtering OUT unwanted frequencies before using compression etc is critical cos naturaly, if you filter it out AFTER compression, those freq's are effecting the compressor cos it's eeing those freq's at it's Sidechain input and consequently reacting to them.

mind you of course you CAN manipulate that fact of course by using freq's either in the original signal or from an alt' sound source fed to the sidecian input..

example - you can feed a kik split off from it's channel to the sidechain input and the compressor wont react to the bass passing THRU it's curcuit UNTIL the kik arrives

if you them mess with the timing of the sidechain source etc etc... (and of course, the signal feeding to the sidechain does NOT have to be in the mix at all

Message 10/14             09-Jun-04  @  02:51 PM   -   RE: Jungle not Rumble Basslines

k

and of course this ability to control a processor via an alternative source comes in handy all over the place

example... cheaper than VOCALIGN... you have a main vocal in an RnB song, with 2 part BV's doing a 3rd & 7th or whatever

you can trigger the BV's to come in exactly when the initial/first MAIN vocal phrase transient appears... so basicaly the main vocal is switching the 2 BV's In to the mix... make the BV's attack on the gate a little slow, just a tad and it wont sound unatural, but the effect is that all the vocals start IDENTICALY in time which can tightens things up if the start time of the BV's is in any way even slightly off here and there.... try it anyways as an effect - all you need is a stereo gate with trigger IN

Message 11/14             10-Jun-04  @  12:20 AM   -   RE: Jungle not Rumble Basslines

beds

hehe, all you need is a singer that doesn't throw a wobbly when there's not enough honey in the cammamile tea ;)

Message 12/14             10-Jun-04  @  01:56 AM   -   RE: Jungle not Rumble Basslines

d

Methinks mebbe he was buckin' for a BJ. Close but no cigar.

Message 13/14             11-Jun-04  @  09:30 PM   -   RE: Jungle not Rumble Basslines

Pongoid

sidechaining is a pain in the arse. Parameteric EQs are your friend. Try hollowing out bits of the bass tones around 120Hz to 225Hz, and then cut everything out of your kicks below 125Hz. The kicks will slip right above the bass tone. Also, just a little overdrive on the kicks will make them seem louder. Not too much or they fuzz out, but just a bit. Works nicely if you run the kicks trough a compressor with an attack of about 35-45ms, and a farily strong ratios so that just the attack gets a bit of crunch and the oomph of the kick stays solid and clean. Careful though, this can make your stuff maybe more explosive than you had planned on or can use. Also can jump needles if up too loud. It leaves the Bass tones plenty of room in the mix to work and really move the air efficiently. Makes the ladies happy.

Ape

Message 14/14             25-Jul-04  @  11:50 AM   -   RE: Jungle not Rumble Basslines

casparproject

Ape, as always you certainly know your shit. Another great tool is the
bitcrusher. I haven't figured out exactly how to use it consistantly yetsrc='images/whatever.gif'>, but when
used after a lpf with high resonance in the signal chain, it can certainly make
those 'womp' sounds crush chest cavities.

Peaceout,

Peter

Viewing all 14 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 14 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot