aaa Stereo recording. - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Stereo recording.

Viewing all 21 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/21             17-Aug-04  @  12:23 AM   -   Stereo recording.

Lloyd Duddley

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Ok, me and a friend have recently been recording some guitar and drums in my room onto Cubase VST and we've got a questions. Firstly we are using his mini-disc 4-track recorder as a mixer. We are only using 2 mics at one time but due to my soundcard only having one line input and no audio inputs we can only really come from the stereo outs on the desk converted into the line in on the soundcard. Is there any way that we could have each mic recording onto a separate track on Cubase simultaneously with this setup or do I really need to get multiple inputs into the PC? If so then is it worth me getting a better soundcard with multiple audio inputs. (My soundcard is a creative audigy 2zs)? I mean will the quality be affected from either way?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/21             17-Aug-04  @  09:34 AM   -   RE: Stereo recording.

Influx

Link?: Link

what about if you panned each mic hard. one hard left, one hard right....recorded a stereo file and then...oh...wait...youd need an audio editor...like in wavelab you can highlight one or the other side of a stereo file, drag it out of the window and drop it and it creates a new file

I havent found a way to do that in SX...

but...you could do the first part tho...

I think a soundcard upgrade might be an option. For an amazingly spec'd interface at an amazing price, check out the Emu 1820M!

Message 3/21             17-Aug-04  @  09:39 AM     Edit: 17-Aug-04  |  09:42 AM   -   RE: Stereo recording.

psylichon

Yeah, do what influx says and pan your two mic channels on the mixer hard left and right. Then can't you select "Audigy Input Left" and "Audigy Input Right", or however it's labeled, on two seperate mono tracks? I don't use SX, but I'd be surprised if it didn't have this funcionality.

Message 4/21             17-Aug-04  @  10:57 AM   -   RE: Stereo recording.

k

Link?:  Link

yeah, VST will do that (select IN-R or IN-R)

yes tho Lloyd, a soundcard with 4 in's (or more) would be easier, but you should be able to do it as long as ypou can hard-pan the inputs as noted above

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/21             17-Aug-04  @  06:06 PM   -   RE: Stereo recording.

Lloyd Duddley

But then how do I record onto multiple tracks simultaneously as i can only record onto one track at a time (the track that is highlighted), and it would mean recording twice.

Message 6/21             17-Aug-04  @  07:28 PM   -   RE: Stereo recording.

psylichon

you can't arm two tracks?

Message 7/21             17-Aug-04  @  07:45 PM   -   RE: Stereo recording.

Lloyd Duddley

Not that I can find. I have never been taught. By the way I am using vst not SX although maybe I will try SX.

Message 8/21             17-Aug-04  @  08:28 PM   -   RE: Stereo recording.

psylichon

there has to be... I bet you have some sort of "auto arm" feature on, but surely there is a big red button with an R on it on every channel?

Message 9/21             18-Aug-04  @  10:08 AM   -   RE: Stereo recording.

k

you can do it in VST i'm sure (not being a full time user ever when it was steinbergs main product)

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 10/21             18-Aug-04  @  03:02 PM   -   RE: Stereo recording.

damballah

there's a "multirecord" option in one of the menus. you have to have that active. then you can arm as many tracks as you have inputs.

Message 11/21             18-Aug-04  @  03:47 PM   -   RE: Stereo recording.

k

yeah that's it.... heh

Message 12/21             20-Aug-04  @  03:27 AM   -   RE: Stereo recording.

Lloyd Duddley

OK guys mucked around and found it, thanks very much for that. Been trying to get a good sound merely from a mini disc 4 track recorder and messing around with the settings in VST. Is there vany advice I can use to make the sound excellent apart from using effects/plug-ins or true 32-bit tape ETC.? What settings do u guys normally use when recording in Cubase?

Message 13/21             20-Aug-04  @  04:22 AM   -   RE: Stereo recording.

damballah

usually something like...

microphone or line source-->mic or line input on the mic pre -->DAC-->software

your signal is more like...

whatever you're recording-->input and DAC on the minidisc-->minidisc with data compression-->minidisc ADC and output stage-->input and DAC on your audigy card-->software

you get that little mixer you were asking about in the other thread sorted out and take the minidisc out of the equation, you'll probably get a better sound mighty damn quickly. from there it's practice and talent and and lots of money on continuous gear upgrades.

Message 14/21             20-Aug-04  @  10:35 AM   -   RE: Stereo recording.

k

just get a good level... but those MD recorders use compression dont they, so they are slightly 'lower-fi' than a full-on recorder

Message 15/21             21-Aug-04  @  12:45 AM   -   RE: Stereo recording.

Influx

yeah..why are you using the MD recorder?

you know...if it were me, and I wanted to be able to record bands on location, Id probably go get a newer generation HD recorder that can record at 24bit, and then bring the tracks home to mix in cubase (I believe theres a way to interface some of these hard disc recorders so you can just open the files in a DAW)

OR, hell...the new ones have pretty expansive mixing facilities internally. My buddy has a Korg D1600. I spent a couple hours with that thing one day and I liked what I saw.

theyre only about a grand now and you get tons of tracks, good FX, and I believe you can pre-master your 2 track direct to CD, all in one box that is completely portable

Message 16/21             22-Aug-04  @  11:45 PM   -   RE: Stereo recording.

Lloyd Duddley

yeah but a grand is probably about the total current limit for my whole studio, lol. I wanna get a desk, some studio speakers and a decent sound card for that. I can get some cheap mics through my university, SM58 and 57's for £63 each, is there anywhere that could match that????

Message 17/21             23-Aug-04  @  10:15 PM   -   RE: Stereo recording.

k

dude - thomann now do a whole drum mic set for 160 quid!!!

also those Red5audio drumsets are SUPERB value for 199 - trust me they are superb easily as good as a Sure set or better imo that the AKG set - (did you see the review here?)

these sets use drum mic clips (provided with for the Red5 stuff for sure, haven't checked for the thomann set yet if they come with clips)

anyways so you dont need to buy a stand for the tom and snare mics, only the overheads (if used) and the kikdrum mic

forget sm58's and 57's (forget in terms of value) these new breed fo chinese mic's are very very good value and sound great

btw, crossing over from your other discussions -if you plan to mix bands to record them to PC - definately get an 8 IN pc device and an 8 BUS mixer

it'll save your sanity eventualy & offers by far the greatest easiest working flexibility  

Message 18/21             24-Aug-04  @  06:29 PM   -   RE: Stereo recording.

Lloyd Duddley

No, never saw the review for that, can't seem to find it. I have been searching on the web for those drum mic sets that you mentioned and they seem ideal for what I want. This rvk7 set looks absoloutely gorgeous for £199. Seriously, are they a good quality tho? I never thought of buying a drum mic set. I couldprobably afford them in a month, do you think that this deal will still be available then?

Message 19/21             24-Aug-04  @  06:44 PM   -   RE: Stereo recording.

Lloyd Duddley

K, is there any chance that I could have your e-mail address please so that I can ask you a few things??? I had it before but lost it. If you dont wanna give it out then u could e-mail me, the_dr38@hotmail.com. If not then no worries man, thanks

Message 20/21             24-Aug-04  @  07:49 PM   -   RE: Stereo recording.

k

mail admin @ dancetech dot com

i'll get it

the red5 drumset review is int he listings here - it's a full-on review - just load the front/studio page and then scroill down the companies list and load the red5 company listings - you'll find the drumset review there - I bought them - I refused to let them leave & go back to red5 once i'd reviewed them

the thomann set?... er... hang on

Message 21/21             24-Aug-04  @  07:59 PM   -   RE: Stereo recording.

k

ok the cheapest thomann full set is called DC1500 (131 quid) - the smaller set is 4 mics and kik mic called the DC500 set - that set is only 65 quid! - aint tried em tho - the dc1500 has a bigger kik mic and two overheads included

i expect they are pretty much the same as the red5 ones... both chinese anyways - they look similar too

i think the DC1500 set has clips for the tom & snare mic, but the dc500 set doesnt have clips

anyways they are in the listings, have a look - i'll try and get a review, but realisticaly that cant happen till at least a month sadly, i'm way too busy this month.

Viewing all 21 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 21 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot