aaa Yamaha_DX-21 - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Yamaha_DX-21

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             19-Oct-04  @  10:39 AM   -   Yamaha_DX-21      [Link: Yamaha - DX-21]

rajkumar

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

Hi
Can anyone of the current DX21 users guide me on patch editing on this keyboard?Is it possoble to get a decent tone out of this machine?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             19-Oct-04  @  07:44 PM   -   RE: Yamaha_DX-21

k

well, yes in essense, although frankly most people use them for the few classic presets DX's hold - editing is fairlystraightforward as all the editing functions are in purple (if i remember right) - you can isolate Operators 1-4 by turning them on/off, but remember, if the algorithm uses one as a tickler and you mute the source, adjusting the tickler will yeild no audio

follow the diagrams to see the signal flow for each selected algorithm

remember also - each osc' chucks out only sine waves so use odd divisions to tickle to get square wave shapes and even divisions to get more saw-y or triangle-y sounds

does that make any sense?

remember

The FREQUENCY of the MODULATOR effects the RATE of change in the CARRIER frequency.

The AMPLITUDE of the MODULATOR effects the DEPTH of change of the CARRIER frequency.

The SHAPE (or timbre) of the MODULATOR effects the SHAPE of change of the CARRIER frequency.

Generaly therefore, if you tickle a Carrier with a Tickler which is set to an ODD number relative to the Carrier you tend to get square wave shapes with more harmonic's and adding EVEN Tickler frequencies usualy gives more sawtooth or sine-y shapes...

SQUARE WAVE - has ODD harmonic's (3rd, 5th etc) and gives a characteristic sort of hollow or tubular sound in character

The other option would normaly be a SAWTOOTH WAVE, which contains even harmonic's (2nd, 4th, 6th etc), and has a characteristic sharp rasping full sound

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/5             19-Oct-04  @  07:48 PM   -   RE: Yamaha_DX-21

k

Link?: Link

actualy, i dunno if it'll help, but I started an FM7 review but never finished it (so far)

but it might help give you some ideas about FM synthesis even tho the operators on the dx21 is only 4

http://www.dancetech.com/aa_dt_new/articles/fm7_review.html

hmmm.... I should finish that page actualy sometime

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/5             19-Oct-04  @  09:42 PM   -   RE: Yamaha_DX-21

milan

Link?: Link

you should... it stops just when it gets interesting....

Message 5/5             19-Oct-04  @  10:00 PM   -   RE: Yamaha_DX-21

k

heh  

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot