aaa Softer/warmer sounds from Virus? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Softer/warmer sounds from Virus?

Viewing all 24 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/24             17-May-05  @  09:52 PM   -   Softer/warmer sounds from Virus?

obxpander

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Greetings all..

I know this sub-forum has been abandoned for quite some time now. Sheesh.

Anyways, I was looking to start up again making ambient-ish music using a one trick pony synthesizer...well..in that sort of thing. I have a midi controller keyboard now, and a laptop for sequencing...My question is such: does anyone have any links or demos of the Virus doing softer sounds? Everytime I hear the Virus in use, it seems that it is doing some sort of angry psy-trance or fuzzy trance sounds. I use to have an 'A' and a 'B', but I mostly used it for rough, massive leads and bass. I'm particularly interested in the Virus because it has up to 24 voices of polyphony and 16 parts..My other option was the Novation Nova, but that has 12 voices, and 6 parts only. I was hoping to do Analogue style drums and everything else on this one piece until I master or get better at what I do, then expand into something else...

Thanks!
Jimmy

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/24             17-May-05  @  11:00 PM   -   RE: Softer/warmer sounds from Virus?

Influx

Link?: Link

the virus is a pretty midrange sounding synth, very upfront.

Id say keep looking at the nova, or get a supernova as theyre dirt cheap now!

the NovaIIx keyboard had more voices I think. the drums on that thing ROCK.

also look at a Korg Z1. less voices, but a nice sound to it

Message 3/24             18-May-05  @  09:07 AM   -   RE: Softer/warmer sounds from Virus?

obxpander

Influx, thanks for the quick reply.

What's happened to the board here? I remember 4 years ago, it was brimming with activity. You
seem to be one of the elders here, I remember.

Anyways, I'll keep looking at either the Nova 2 Keys. 6 Parts should definitely be enough for a
basic minimal mix, I'd hope.

Message 4/24             19-May-05  @  02:40 AM   -   RE: Softer/warmer sounds from Virus?

Influx

things have definitely slowed down. not sure why that is. the production aspect...its like that at all the sites I go to. aside from total noobs wantin the easiest route possible there's hardly any discussion about it anymore

hey...if youre wantin "warm" and "thick" and that kind of shit...why dont you find one of the synths named in your handle?

Message 5/24             19-May-05  @  04:25 AM   -   RE: Softer/warmer sounds from Virus?

psylichon

if you're doing anything ambient, I highly recommend the Nova, despite its voice limitation. If you're using it in conjunction with a DAW, just print your tracks for more voices. The Nova's really held it's own in terms of character despite stiff competition from softsynths.

... speaking of which, if you were to go that route, you HAVE to get Spectrasonics Atmosphere. I couldn't live without it and ambient is definitely my bag.

Message 6/24             19-May-05  @  05:48 AM   -   RE: Softer/warmer sounds from Virus?

obxpander

Haha, I'd love an Xpander, despite their extremely high asking prices.

Say I had a DAW, I'd be all over multi-writing that synth. I heard this crazy lfo modulated pad sound from it recently that evolved for what seemed forever. On eBay they seem to go for $1500-$2000, so thats something id have to save for, forever.

And yes, I'm giving the Nova a long, hard look. I see that the newest OS upgrade gave it a slew of new features, including 4 more voices of polyphony. 16 voices over 6 parts seems a nice start to work with.

Message 7/24             19-May-05  @  06:47 PM   -   RE: Softer/warmer sounds from Virus?

Influx

thats plenty, man.

so youre not using a DAW then. we're talkin "midi" mixes?

Message 8/24             19-May-05  @  10:21 PM   -   RE: Softer/warmer sounds from Virus?

obxpander

I'm not quite sure what I need really.

All I know is that I have my midi controller (which sends midi over USB) my Apple laptop, and I plan to purchase a Nova. From there, I'm lost. I've seen these external firewire recording devices...is that what i'd need? They seem to be portable and simple. I suppose some sort of USB mixer would work too? Say I wanted to do all my work from a laptop...what do I need?

Message 9/24             20-May-05  @  04:09 AM   -   RE: Softer/warmer sounds from Virus?

Influx

if you wanted to do ALL your work from your laptop you only need a midi controller or two and your laptop with an audio interface

thats it. even the apple core audio might suffice

then youd need a sequencer like logic or cubase, some softsynths and MAYBE a sampler...all available as plugins so still JUST the laptop

if you want to use the nova or an external synth you need a mixer to route sounds and an audio interface to record them once youre ready to sequence.

Message 10/24             21-May-05  @  07:57 PM   -   RE: Softer/warmer sounds from Virus?

obxpander

Ok, So say I was to use a hardware synthesizer with the laptop.

I'd have for hardware:

my midi controller
Nova
Laptop

And then I'd sequence using Cubase or Logic. Then I'd have a mixer and firewire audio recorder for recording, right?

Logic 7 is so freakin expensive. Isnt Cubase much cheaper?

Message 11/24             22-May-05  @  06:01 PM   -   RE: Softer/warmer sounds from Virus?

Influx

why not get the NovaIIx keyboard, and use that as your controller?

eliminate one piece

youll need a midi interface too. If youre not gonna buy anything else, then a 1 in 1 out would do, but its usually a good idea to get more ins and outs than you currently need so you dont have to buy something else when it comes time to expand

you know....if youre gonna be stationary, take a look at the tascam FW1082. The features on that look impressive.

if you plan to be mobile (kinda hrd with a nova keyboard) then have a look at other stuff, but see if you can find one with midi too?

hey...what about the novation Remote 25 audio or whatever its called? midi controller, midi interface, audio interface all rolled into one...

Message 12/24             22-May-05  @  07:49 PM   -   RE: Softer/warmer sounds from Virus?

obxpander

Nova 2 keyboards are bit harder to come by! I'd love to do that, and eliminate a piece. They seem to go around 700 or so USD, I thought.

That Tascam looks bitchin, for sure. $799 is alot of dough though. I guess if you look at the features, it's an awesome value.

Did the nova 2 keyboards cone with 16 voices of poly too?

Message 13/24             22-May-05  @  08:01 PM   -   RE: Softer/warmer sounds from Virus?

obxpander

Ok, just did a quick ebay reference and...

Nova's galore. Most for $400-$450. Nova's are capable of 16 voices and 6 parts.

Only 2 Nova 2 keyboards. One was a steal at $699 buy it now(Nova II), and the other was a british auction who shipped worldwide and that ended at $1,043 (Nova IIx)

WAYYY to expensive for my taste. AND Nova 2 keys only come with the 12 voices poly, unless its the 2X.

Message 14/24             22-May-05  @  11:05 PM   -   RE: Softer/warmer sounds from Virus?

Influx

I did say the IIx ;)

are you in the states? I might be able to help you out

Message 15/24             22-May-05  @  11:36 PM   -   RE: Softer/warmer sounds from Virus?

milan

yay! another one of the djx massive :D

Message 16/24             23-May-05  @  01:05 AM   -   RE: Softer/warmer sounds from Virus?

obxpander

??

Message 17/24             23-May-05  @  09:40 AM   -   RE: Softer/warmer sounds from Virus?

milan

you have one.. i have one... few other ppl here also... i'm just fond of the little toy  

Message 18/24             23-May-05  @  06:28 PM   -   RE: Softer/warmer sounds from Virus?

obxpander

Haha, I just looked at my user profile!

But guess what? It hasn't been updated in years. Previous to this past week, I hadn't visited this site in at least 3 years! That was my old kitlist. I had a Virus, DJX, and a 300 mhz p2 comp that sucked.

I've got nothing now, except for a midi controller and alot of ideas in my head!

Message 19/24             23-May-05  @  06:37 PM   -   RE: Softer/warmer sounds from Virus?

obxpander

Also, I hate to post in this thread about other VA's but..

When did the An1x become so damn cheap? It's like sub $400 now...I LOVED that thing despite it's limitations.

What interested me most was the user programmable step sequencer. For the cheap amount that it is, I'd buy it just for pads/arp lines.

Any idea how the step sequencer worked? I used my An1x back then with split zones for 2 parts and bass lines.

Message 20/24             23-May-05  @  09:06 PM   -   RE: Softer/warmer sounds from Virus?

craig

FYI I've got a Tascam 1082. It's a very nice bit of kit for the price. Control surface, 10 channel mixer, and 10-in audio interface. Down sides would be it's lack of sends, so you'd be a bit out of luck for external processing - you'd have to go out the mains, solo what you're processing, and bring it back in, but with the state of software these days there's very little you need to go outside the machine for.

Message 21/24             24-May-05  @  06:03 PM   -   RE: Softer/warmer sounds from Virus?

Influx

it has inserts on a couple inputs tho, no?

Message 22/24             02-Jun-05  @  07:33 PM   -   RE: Softer/warmer sounds from Virus?

craig

I don't think so.. The bigger one does.

Message 23/24             02-Jun-05  @  07:41 PM   -   RE: Softer/warmer sounds from Virus?

k

Link?:  Link

isnt the Virus like alot of synths tho?... in that peole tend to work with the flter at a certain angle to produce an average volume, but if you roll the filter off and increase volume, you get softer sounds, but you gotta be careful of the main volume if you then crank the filter up

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 24/24             07-Jun-05  @  09:41 PM   -   RE: Softer/warmer sounds from Virus?

craig

I've always found the saturation to be very useful on the virus for warm sounds (set to soft or medium), and definately keep the filter resonance down, as it's a very hard sounding filter.

Viewing all 24 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 24 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)