aaa Advice needed - Live / PA / gigging forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

20-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Live / PA / gigging

Subject: Advice needed

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             08-Jul-05  @  07:49 AM   -   Advice needed

ianmp3

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

hiya
i have a inter M2000 amp and 6 x 300watt 8ohm speakers,i normally just run 4 of the speakers on the system,2 each side but was wondering if i used the other 2 it could cause damage ,also because of the resistance change by adding the two additional speakers would i loose output wattage

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             09-Jul-05  @  04:22 AM   -   RE: Advice needed

damballah

Link?: Link

is the amp rated to work with a 2 ohm load? some you can, some you can't. your impedance would be 2.67 ohms if all the speakers were parallel. You could put 2 in series and the third parallel and that would give you a 5.33 ohm load, which your amp should handle. Even if your amp says it'll work seeing a 2 ohm load, it works a lot harder and can go thermal if you push it too hard.

Message 3/9             09-Jul-05  @  09:52 AM   -   RE: Advice needed

milan

correcto!

and here's the theory behind it, more or less: http://www.mmxpress.com/technical/connectingspeakers.htm

damballah wrote:

You could put 2 in series and the third parallel and that would give you a 5.33 ohm load, which your amp should handle.

but the question is... how do you connect speakers in parallel using speakon cables? eh

Message 4/9             09-Jul-05  @  05:33 PM   -   RE: Advice needed

damballah

well if there's 2 speakons in back, they're usually parallel, no. series is trickier. involves cabinet opening and soldering. I'd put a big label on it also saying something like "caution! this fucker is wired for series!!!"

Message 5/9             09-Jul-05  @  06:37 PM   -   RE: Advice needed

milan

oops... excuse my bad english, serial is what i meant indeed!

and yeah, thats kinda what i figured  

Message 6/9             09-Jul-05  @  07:46 PM   -   RE: Advice needed

k

Link?:  Link

I'd put a big label on it also saying something like "caution! this fucker is wired for series!!!"

i heardat!

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 7/9             14-Jul-05  @  01:26 PM   -   RE: Advice needed

damballah

'ey, the other thing about wiring that cab in series is that unless you've got that other speaker plugged in, you have no circuit and no sound. unless you made a plug that just tied the plus to the minus on the second jack.

Message 8/9             14-Jul-05  @  03:20 PM   -   RE: Advice needed

milan

goddamnit!!! now every time i plug in a speaker and get no sound i will have to check if its not in fact wired for series! and i thought they were merely busted

Message 9/9             20-Jul-05  @  12:15 PM     Edit: 20-Jul-05  |  12:19 PM   -   RE: Advice needed

ianmp3

Link?:  No link

which would provide the most ouput and what outputs can be expected running 2x8ohmsx300watt speakers in parallel off a 2000watt amp or 3x8ohmsx300watt speakers in parallel off a 2000watt amp,what im getting at is say im using 4 speakers total and say running a output of lets say 500w each side comfortably,and then i use 6x300watt speakers and get 600watt each side and the amp is being driven harder to achieve the extra 100watt output ,is its not worth it,can anyone help on this issue
so 6x300w on a 2k amp comfortable output = ?
4x300w on a 2k amp comfortable output = ?

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)