aaa mid-spec'd laptop for midweight audio? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

23-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: mid-spec'd laptop for midweight audio?

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             18-Jul-05  @  05:04 PM   -   mid-spec'd laptop for midweight audio?

D.L.Spang

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

hey all. tired of luggin my hardware around, even though it's a pretty small setup...gonna try a laptop/controller combo for now.

anyone recommend a make/model? Ive looked at the brand names...seen some darn good specs for around a grand (my target price)

thinkin Pentium M, a gig of RAM, 80-100GB hd...

was told to avoid shared video memory?

is a 5400rpm drive absolutely necessary for say...24 tracks of audio? maybe slightly more...equally balanced between stereo and mono?

might run...dunno...4 softsynths...bounce when necessary?

anything I should look for/avoid?

thanks in advance

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             18-Jul-05  @  10:01 PM   -   RE: mid-spec'd laptop for midweight audio?

Rags

Pentium M is good. I have a HP nc8000 and it has quite sum power for VST's. Nice and reliable, but nothing that is it. Ugly. Heavy. Expensive.

Check out LG, they look pretty sexy . Also, some years ago I had a Toshiba (260 MHz or something), that was a first class machine back then.

Message 3/7             18-Jul-05  @  11:28 PM     Edit: 18-Jul-05  |  11:31 PM   -   RE: mid-spec'd laptop for midweight audio?

Influx

thanks man.

LG? they make notebooks?

saw a couple very impressively spec'd Toshibas at compUSA...might go have a look

Message 4/7             19-Jul-05  @  11:26 PM     Edit: 19-Jul-05  |  11:31 PM   -   RE: mid-spec'd laptop for midweight audio?

dARKSTATe

Shit man!

Can't belive you didn't call me on this one....

Feeling snubbed aside.. for $1000.. you should at LEAST be looking to get.. (if only in a DESKTOP REPLACEMENT type machine.. so not amazingly elegant, or with great batt life)

* 1400x1080 15" or better screen
* 1GB Ram
* AMD Athlon 64 3400 or better CPU
* 60 - 100+ GB HDD
* Wifi
* USB2
* Firewire
* DVDReWriter
* Some extra shit like card readers etc..

A machine of this spec would make a good studio DAW.. so "mid range" is not a factor...

Email me if you wanna know more (I sweated to know this shit so let my info be yours!)
Fuck the shared video ram worry - most lappys of this kinda spec ship with known Mobile gfx solutions..

I dunno about the US, but we get plenty of "no name" laptops, badged around carcasses from known people like MITAC etc. that make no nonsense lappys.. FUCK brandnames like Toshiba, Dell, Sony etc.. you're just paying to suck their dicks..

After 8months of using this bi-hotch of an AMD64 lappy.. I'd recommend it to anyone and that includes for gigging use (yep.. we got off our collective azzes!)

p.s. Can you smell the alcohol coming off my breath yet?!?

Message 5/7             21-Jul-05  @  06:06 AM   -   RE: mid-spec'd laptop for midweight audio?

Influx

File?:  [image]

[image file]

sorry marc, just didnt occur to me.

thing is...I want long battery life, so the Pentium M is probably the best solution...

havent seen anything as well spec'd as youre listing for only $1000. Except a Sony VAIO for right around there.

I found this:

http://www.discountpcsales.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?preadd=action&key=MTECHCL71

and spec'd it like this:

Message 6/7             22-Jul-05  @  12:24 AM   -   RE: mid-spec'd laptop for midweight audio?

dARKSTATe

That's not bad.. but still quite pricey (and for the US too..)

What kinda batt life are you looking at here? Why do you NEED the long batt life? (Don't forget that all modern PCs will throttle CPU performance to conserve batt life once you're away from the mains so you'd be taking a performance hit any way..)

512Mb ram is OK but you'll want more.. no o/s isn't too much of a prob but don't forget a legit copy of XP Pro still adds to the price (unless you're going Linux)

5400RPM HDD is the minimum spec you'll want in that thing too..

Here in the UK I've just found this puppy for you.. for £940 = $1650

# 15.4" WXGA TFT Widescreen
# 2GHz Intel Pentium-M 2MB Cache Processor
#100GB 5400RPM hdd
# Centrino Wireless LAN 802.11b/g - 54g Network Port
# 3 x USB 2.0 Ports
# 56K Internal Modem
# Glidepad with 2 buttons & scroll button
# 1024MB PC2700 333MHz DDR RAM
# 1 x Type II PCMCIA Slot PCMCIA Slot
# 1 x IEEE 1394a Firewire Port Firewire Port
# 128MB ATI Radeon 9700 Pro Graphics
# 1 x Mic-in,1 x H'phone/Speakers
# DVDR Multi Burner
# S-Video Out Port (NTSC/PAL)
# Widescreen - up to 1280 x 800
# Weight - 3.5 kg with battery
# Dimensions (mm) - 32h x 353w x 250d
# 12 Mths Return to Base Warranty

Are you gonna get a CPU upgrade, a bigger HDD and double the RAM for less than $300 more????

This is the top of the line in that range but you could dial down the specs if you needed to stay around $1300...

Marc_D

Message 7/7             22-Jul-05  @  06:02 PM   -   RE: mid-spec'd laptop for midweight audio?

Influx

marc

Im pretty sure the M-Tech would be around the same, with dedicated graphics

Im actually looking on the private market now. found a dell 6000D with decent specs...gonna try to get him down to 800 from 900

Centrino 1.6
60GB
all the other good stuff...

spending less money is more important than getting shit hot specs. as for battery life...this is an experiment...want to see if I can write in other locations...coffee shop...on the mountain, etc...

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)