aaa Hard disk partitioning - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

23-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Hard disk partitioning

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/4             22-Sep-05  @  06:11 AM   -   Hard disk partitioning

rb

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I'm building a computer for audio recording & MIDI sequencing based on WinXP SP2.
The software will be used are Cubase SX 3, Garritan Personal Orchestra, Battery 2, and several VST effect & instruments.
I also record from external audio like vocal, guitar, etc.
I plan to use 1 internal 3,5" hard-drive ( either 80Gb / 120Gb with 700rpm & 8Mb cache ).
Any suggestion on how many partition & size should I make ?

Thanks for your help.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/4             22-Sep-05  @  09:49 AM   -   RE: Hard disk partitioning

beds

Link?: Link

i'd get 2 drives, one for os and no audio stuff, the other for audio.

but if you only have one, i'd use 15gb maybe 20 for the XP and the programs, rest for audio.

Message 3/4             22-Sep-05  @  01:22 PM   -   RE: Hard disk partitioning

k

Link?:  Link

yeah, agreed, 2 drives.

Drive 1 - one smaller one (mebbe 40gb) partitioned as C: boot partition formatted fat32 default cluster size

partition the rest off as whatever, either fat32 partitions until all used up or one bigger ntfs partition and use that for stuff like storing samples and setup & update files for programmes etc

Drive 2 - partitioned into audio partition/s & storage/backup partitions, format the first partition as fat32, largest cluster size format. Add additional partitions either as 32gb fat32 additional audioi partitions formatted in largest cluster size, or as one big ntfs backup partition (depends how much audio you use in songs)

backup finished songs in individual dedicated folders to the backup partition/s on drive-2 AND dvd bachup as a safety in case the second drive ever fails... include all special samples and audio files & any saved special vsti patches or vstfx patches you've created for that song in the backup archive folder.

ideally have a 3rd drive for backup only, but what you can do is have the 2nd drive (say 80gb) partitioned as one 32gb fat32 audio partition (1st partition) and then either 2 more fat32 partitions @ 32gb max each or partition the rest as ntfs and use the remaining partition/s as storage for sonmgs you aint working on as well as the dvd backup.

that way you can move songs to the audio partition only when working on them, keep the audio partition nice and empty and defrag it quickly anytime- make sure to use large cluster format (details in PC section) for the audio drive so you get less read/write head commands cos audio files will always be larger files.

make sure you never save samples, songs, audio or even vst patches to your C: drive, that way you can reformat, re-install XP and your prgrammes and never have to worry about messing around moving important stuff off the C: drive. Always save everything for a song in a single dedicated song folder if poossible, dont have song components strewn around the various partitions, keep it all together.

get planety of ram with garritan and battery, 1gb minimum for smooth working, you'll prolly get 'low ram' warings otherwise when loading a several garritans up with only 512, and while those warnings aint critical, the more ram the better cos SX will use it for caching audio file chunks as it works

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/4             22-Sep-05  @  01:25 PM   -   RE: Hard disk partitioning

k

Link?:  Link

formatting large clusters

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)