aaa nnxt - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: nnxt

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             11-Nov-05  @  05:00 PM   -   nnxt velocity editing

jade

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

anyone tryed velocity editing in the nnxt? i dont really use this sampler much apart from the sample start time which is alot better than the nnx19 what does velocity editing actually mean and why would i use it? is it if i was trying to emulate a piano or something? is it only used to make sounds feel nateral or is there a creative way to use it?

thanx

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             12-Nov-05  @  01:29 PM   -   RE: nnxt

k

Link?:  Link

do you mean using velocity crossfading? cos you can have different 'layers' in NN-XT and switch between them with different velocity playing (harder or softer hits on the master keyboard

'emulating' a piano is probably academic as you arent going to be in a position where you need to construct a piano from scratch - You can load piano sets which are all ready to go & all setup to be as 'realistic' as possible in terms of settings for the loaded patch/samples... perhaps you're thinking about 'key scaling' or 'keyboard rate scaling'? - it's a term you find going back to early DX yammy FM synth etc, it just means as you go up the keys, the higher you go the shorter the decay envelope is... this is to match the characteristic of a piano where the higher you play up the keyboard, the less the notes sustain... higher piano notes when keyed, dont last as long as lower notes, higher piano keys (on a real piano) sound more percussive or 'tinkly' and dont decay for long... but this doesnt just work with 'piano' sounds... many sounds require a shorter decay as notes get higher, cos it just sounds 'right'

for velocity layering, generaly regardless of device (cos velocity layering might be new to reasons sampler but has been on early samplers going back 20 years) can be 'switched' or 'crossfaded' -

Velocity switching

in it's simplest form you have 2 layers - you hit keys and if you hit 'em gently you'll hear one sound/Layer, if you hit the keys harder, you'll hear another Layer... you dont ever hear both sounds/layers 'blended' together, it's either one sound or the other you hear depending how hard you hit the keys.

velocity crossfading

Like above but as the velocity crossover point is reached in terms of how hard you hit the keys, you start to hear some of the second layer... the harder you hit the keys, the more of the second layer you hear alomng with the first, until you reach a point where the velocity you apply is causing both layers to sound equaly... go harder, hit the keys harder to go above the vlocity crossover point/level and you start to progressivly hear more of the second layer...

this type of layering tends to be most commonly applied for drum samples... you get a set of snare samples for example... the 'lowest' or quietest samples emulate the snare being played gently and are acheived by sampling the snare being struck very gently by a drumstick.... the 'highest' or loudest samples are the snare being hit really hard by a drumstick... so as you hit the snare 'key' harder you hear less of the 'gentle' snare hit and more of the 'hard' snare hit....

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/5             15-Nov-05  @  12:16 PM   -   RE: nnxt

jade

again thanx for the reply

it seems like alot of work to do this...........and is not something i think i will ever have to use.....it seems like it would be very time consuming too.
when you talked about the snare going in velocity from softer to harder...etc, i think what is alot easier and i do this now for my snare rolls is to use the redum and automate the start sample, volume and tone knobs.well this is what i use the velocity for , or you could just edit the velocity in the sequencer...........although i dont really tend to use this feature too much.

jade

Message 4/5             15-Nov-05  @  04:09 PM   -   RE: nnxt

k

Link?:  Link

yeah but crossfading sample layer doesnt have to be fixed to velocity, you can have different envelopes for different layers in most decent samplers, which allows you to create for example pads which start with one sound and has another (or more) fading in as time progresses

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/5             15-Nov-05  @  06:03 PM   -   RE: nnxt

jade

that sounds like it could be pretty cool....thats the thing with music production....there is always new stuff to be learnt! i ordered a book actually "power tools reason 3" from amazon, so shud be plenty of cool stuff in there i would have never otherwise thought of doing!! when it eventually gets here......been waiting ages!

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot