aaa What soundcard to buy? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: What soundcard to buy?

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/4             15-Nov-05  @  06:15 AM   -   What soundcard to buy?

ericpage33

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hey Guys,

Can anyone help me out with some basics. I want to buy a soundcard for my PC. I'm running Windows XP. My CPU is a Celeron 2.50 GHz with 376 MB of RAM. I just purchased Fruity Loops 5. I would like to get a soundcard that has growth potential where I can utilize more of it as I progress into making more music. I'm not the kind of guy that needs the best in everything, nor am I the sort that buys only the cheapest most minimal. So what do you think? Care to give me some advice?

Thanks,
Eric

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/4             15-Nov-05  @  11:09 AM   -   RE: What soundcard to buy?

k

Link?:  Link

well really, it's probably not a good idea to think that way (expandable) because there is a gap between stereo i/o cards and cards which can be expanded with adat rack add-on's, or a dedicated i/o module.

i'd go for a straight budget stereo soundcard and then see what you need when that time arrives in the future, cos for example you might decide in future to add some external gear and require more inputs, but if you just build your system based on internal s/w synths only you'll only ever need stereo monitoring and the stereo input for sampling or recording vocals etc.

however, if you DO already own some external hardware units you want to utilise, and dont have a mixer then sure, go for a multi i/o card, but unless you do own external hardware you wish to integrate into your ONboard mix, or you have a mixer for mixing multiple outputs coming FROM the pc, there's no point having a multi i/o card is there.

so.... m-audio audiophile 24/96, e-mu 0404, esi Juli@, etc... I wouldnt go for a usb device if you have the option for a pci card which you do of course with a desktop machine

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/4             18-Nov-05  @  12:57 AM   -   RE: What soundcard to buy?

ericpage33

Link?:  No link

Thanks for the help. It's kind of dopey listening to music with cheap speakers and a come-with soundcard in my computer.

Eric

Message 4/4             18-Nov-05  @  01:51 PM   -   RE: What soundcard to buy?

k

Link?:  Link

well you cant really go wrong with the audiophile, but if your machine uses the built-in motherboard-based soundcard, you gotta go into the BIOS and disbale it (or disable with a motherboard jumper) before adding the new soundcard. Otherwise just remove the old soundcard, BUT, if it's a creative soundblaster, you need to FIRST uninstall the card BEFORE physicaly removing it. You remove/uninstall the device in control-panel/system/hardware/device-manager - just find the soundcard in the tree and right click on it and choose UNINSTALL, then power down and remove the card

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot