aaa little hardware problem... - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: little hardware problem...

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             13-Feb-06  @  10:41 AM   -   little hardware problem...

Steve Roughley

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hey all.

I've got an Echo Indigo DJ PCMCIA audio card and this weekend I tripped over the headphone cable, snapping the mini-jack plug, which is now stuck in the audio card and I can't get it out. The card is moulded and glued too so I can't open it up to get the jack out.

Any ideas on what I can do to get the damned thing out?

Stephen.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             13-Feb-06  @  02:15 PM   -   RE: little hardware problem...

The Moujik

Link?: Link

Ooooh - nasty.... the DT equivalent of seeing someone get kicked in the bollocks.

I assume the part of the jack stuck in the socket is flush & there's nothing you could grab with a small set of needle nosed pliars?

Only other thing I can think it to remove the PC card & see if giving it a whack on the opposite side to the stuck jack will do anything?

Message 3/7             13-Feb-06  @  09:53 PM   -   RE: little hardware problem...

k

Link?:  Link

if the remaining midi jack stub in the socket is hollow (even a tiny hole) you could get a vert small screw, screw it in a few tuens, then pull the whole lot out with a pair of small pliars or fingers even, othrwise use some sort of thin metal pick to pick it out - or a little hook of bent wire, etc

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/7             14-Feb-06  @  10:27 AM   -   RE: little hardware problem...

Influx

another option would be to use an adhesive of sorts on the broken end...stick it to the stuck-in end and then pull out...

but youd want to take care not to glue to the ring...

sucks to be you.

Message 5/7             14-Feb-06  @  12:41 PM     Edit: 14-Feb-06  |  12:41 PM   -   RE: little hardware problem...

Steve Roughley

Influx wrote:

sucks to be you.

Thanks, Influx! Feel alot better now

I have tried a few of these suggestions already (i.e. banging the card, picking the piece out with tweezers or a pin) and haven't had any luck. The jack snapped about half way down (in between the two insulator rings) and so it is jammed down after the first socket holding spring.

I like the idea of using a screw though and the adhesive idea might also work. Its all about being able to get a grip on the damned thing, innit. I'll give these ideas a try and will let you know how I get on.

Cheers!

Steve.

Message 6/7             14-Feb-06  @  08:13 PM   -   RE: little hardware problem...

Influx

you know...it would probably just be better to send it back to echo. if the broken piece is down inside there...I wouldnt fuck with adhesive.

I wonder if theres a magnet slim enough and strong enough to attach and pull out the piece...

Message 7/7             17-Feb-06  @  09:45 AM   -   RE: little hardware problem...

Steve Roughley

Influx wrote:

I wonder if theres a magnet slim enough and strong enough to attach and pull out the piece...

That's exactly what we did in the end. I wasn't prepared to use adhesive either so I took the card to my housemates dad and he has this cool little powered magnet that is designed for removing bolts, screws, etc from tiny places. Got it out instantly!

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)