aaa Recording & DI Boxes - Guitars & amps forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Guitars & amps

Subject: Recording & DI Boxes

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             15-Feb-06  @  09:08 PM   -   Recording & DI Boxes

The Moujik

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Ok, I'm completely clueless about guitars, so be nice...

My little brother wants to get into using his PC to record electric guitar/bass. He's basically got no kit at all, so I've suggested he downloads Audacity & uses that. I've also got a crappy old Tascam mixer I'm gonna donate - am I right in thinking all he'll need then is a cheapo DI Box? Not too concerned as to how good it's gonna sound, just if it works or not.

So I'm thinking he would go Guitar > DI box > Mixer preamp > PC. Do you plug the guitar straight into the DI box or do you need to go through the amp?

Am I more or less on the right track? Any advice/comments/abuse greatefully accepted.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             15-Feb-06  @  09:51 PM   -   RE: Recording & DI Boxes

psylichon

The Moujik wrote:

So Im thinking he would go Guitar > DI box > Mixer preamp > PC. Do you plug the guitar straight into the DI box or do you need to go through the amp?

Am I more or less on the right track? Any advice/comments/abuse greatefully accepted.

You're right on the money with that signal path. The DI will convert the instrument-level signal to the proper level and impedance to feed a mic pre.

The only thing that might change is if you have an amp whose head has a DI output. Sometimes these are even line-level outputs with a volume knob that need no further amping... so just go right from the instrument to the amp, then ampDI out into the PC. This will impart some of the amp's tone to the signal, instead of it coming straight from the instrument. Of course, micing a cabinet never hurt anyone either. It's easy and it's nice to hear air moving every now and then.

But always take a DI for reamping, either real or virtual!

Message 3/9             16-Feb-06  @  08:11 PM     Edit: 16-Feb-06  |  08:13 PM   -   RE: Recording & DI Boxes

milan

those Line6 TonePorts seem good and not too expensive. mebbe check them out? get amp modeling into the bargain.

or even line6 guitarport... costs as much as a semi-decent DI box!

Message 4/9             16-Feb-06  @  09:32 PM   -   RE: Recording & DI Boxes

The Moujik

Thanks guys - I think he just got a really cheap Behringer DI box in the end... if he decides he likes it I'll suggest he looks at something more interesting.

Message 5/9             17-Feb-06  @  02:08 PM   -   RE: Recording & DI Boxes

k

Link?:  Link

My tip - Behringer V-AMP 2 - great little unit, instant sound (13 amps, 13 cabs), 125 presets, included fx, gate/compressor, tuner tap tempo feature for fx which use it, balanced/unbalanced stereo/mono outs, metal footswitch, padded 'laptop style' carrycase with shoulderstrap, cheap as chips. Plugin, play, sorted, No PC stress or s/w issues

Also it's obviously portable for going round to a mates house for a jam/writing session - even if the only thing available to plug into is the hi-fi aux phono sockets you can STILL get a great sound if you have a couple of 1/4" jack -to- phono leads to plug into the hifi.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/9             20-Feb-06  @  10:56 AM   -   RE: Recording & DI Boxes

The Moujik

Just a quickie to follow up...

Was over at my brother's place yesterday & listened to a few recording he's done using the Behringer DI/Tascan mixer/PC combo... really impressed, he's managed to get pretty solid sound with next to no gear & very little knowhow. His electric guitar & bass sounded good DI'd, the acoustic less so, but I took over my T-Bone mic which worked really well on that.

Anyway, the plan now is to do some better multitrack recordings on my lappie with Tracktion.

Message 7/9             20-Feb-06  @  11:46 AM   -   RE: Recording & DI Boxes

k

which T-Bone mic you got bro?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 8/9             20-Feb-06  @  01:12 PM   -   RE: Recording & DI Boxes

The Moujik

The SC400 (cheapest one!) Don't really have much of a clue with mic'ing stuff up, but always been able to get a usable sound out of this.

In general, I'm 100% software based, but I keep a few bits of kit around (old Tascam mixer, the mic etc) just in case.

Message 9/9             20-Feb-06  @  03:48 PM   -   RE: Recording & DI Boxes

k

oh yeah, it's cheap but not bad really for the cash

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot