aaa Yamaha_CS1X - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Yamaha_CS1X

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/3             24-Jan-07  @  03:14 AM   -   Yamaha_CS1X      [Link: Yamaha - CS1X]

mgonz76901

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I Have an older version of Band-in-a-Box and it seems to work very well with my CS1X, but I recently generated a song on BB and the voices came out completely different than my other songs. The song had a Bossa Nova style, while the others were country styles. I'm sure I have to create a patch map and drum kit, but I don't know what the associated voice numbers are for my CS1X. My question is: Does anyone have a list of midi voices for the CS1X so I can compare them against the General Midi list. The Drum kit list would also be helpful. The owners manual\blue book\data list, does not seem to have a user friendly list. My second question is: What does the Tune-Em-Up program do? I am a novice synth user so please explain in simple terms. Thanks,

Mike G.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/3             25-Jan-07  @  03:58 PM   -   RE: Yamaha_CS1X

k

Link?:  Link

well it's similar to GM voices list, but yamaha add's more parameters, the cs1x tho uses layering for it's 'quality' voices, when it came out there was alot of confusion over using those voices when the unit is acting as a sound module with a sequencer... tbh it was so long ago i forget how it worked, google it i guess & use the manual or get the manual anyways would be a good start...

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/3             25-Jan-07  @  04:02 PM   -   RE: Yamaha_CS1X

k

Link?:  Link

Now there seems to be some confusion about the capabilities of this synth when used in a multitimbrel mode, as part of a home studio set-up, with a sequencer doing the driving........Well, this is how it goes :

You go into multi-mode, and choose a "Special Performance" patch sound....That 1st special performance voice, can be played with it's multilayers, by one midi channel, but once assigned, it also blocks out the use of midi channels 1 to 4..... regardless of how many layers make up that patch...... If you then want to assign another layered "Special Performance" patch, you will have to find the individual voices that make up that patch, sequence your synthline, then duplicate it across to as many midi channels as there are layers that make up that patch....So if the sound has 3 layers, you must make a midi track, for each layer on a different channel !!

....In other words, if you set up a drum riddim, using channel 10...and then you want to sequence parts for 3 other special performance sounds, each with 4 layers, you will have to sequence a seperate midi channel for each layer !!!!...... Yamaha reckon this is an innovitive approach to programming....I reckon, it's a bit of a pain to have to sequence each layer, as if they were coming from seperate modules.....obviously, this also restricts your multitimbrelity, to only 4 sounds, if they are using even 3 layers each, If you want to get 16 part multi-mode with the "Special performance" sounds, then they will have to all be single oscillator voices....... Perhaps this should be borne in mind if you are looking for a studio synth to use with a sequencer, as opposed to a performance synth, to twiddle live over a backing sound.

thats what we wrote at the time when checking up on the newly released cs1x... so... it works as a GM style player in normal mode and you can get one special sound out of it in multimode which then hogs the first 4 midi channels.... it's not ideal, but can work ok.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot