aaa Sample clearance for everyday sounds - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: Sample clearance for everyday sounds

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/6             04-Jul-07  @  06:37 PM   -   Sample clearance for everyday sounds

joegornall

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi there,

Im sure this has been discussed to death before but I couldnt find much!

Do you need clearance to use any copied sample whatsoever? Im talking mainly about little drum hits/hi hats etc and particularly kick drums. If I sample a kick drum from a record, how can it be proved where it has come from? Is there anything you can "get away with"?

Thanks

Joe

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/6             08-Jul-07  @  01:20 AM   -   RE: Sample clearance for everyday sounds

soup

Link?: Link

The only recordings you can sample legally without needing a license are those in the public domain either because they are old and the copyright expired or because the artist explicitly put the recording in the public domain ... if you're interested in how fucked up intellectual property law is for artists check the link ... but if the sounds you want to sample are that everyday why not record some (kick drums) yourself?

Message 3/6             08-Jul-07  @  06:09 PM   -   RE: Sample clearance for everyday sounds

k

Link?:  Link

i think legaly the sample has to last a cerain time doesnt it? which i think excludes single hits.. could be wrong but how the hell anyone can tell a kik in a track from another record and then actualy prove it is the sample rather than a kick which sounds the same is beyond me.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/6             08-Jul-07  @  06:54 PM   -   RE: Sample clearance for everyday sounds

soup

The length of the sample doesn't matter legally. The easiest way to phrase it is, it is illegal to sample from other people's recordings. Now I don't think anyone has been sued for using a kick yet. I remember hearing that Zigaboo Modeliste from the Meters was trying to sue cats for using his snares but I don't think he got very far with that. So you can probably "get away with it" but remember that tons of cats got away with sampling 2 bar loops until the folks who own the masters started suing them and winning. Now I'm not trying to discourage sampling from records, I do it all the time but...

Message 5/6             09-Jul-07  @  02:58 PM   -   RE: Sample clearance for everyday sounds

joegornall

OK, thats what I was kind of thinking and hoping. Im guessing they would have to do some kind of frequency analysis or something which surely on a hihat or a kickdrum is gonna be difficult to tell apart. Besides, in order to spot it in the 1st place would take some hellish set of ears!

Message 6/6             09-Jul-07  @  07:35 PM   -   RE: Sample clearance for everyday sounds

k

Link?:  Link

and your track would have to be number 1 in many territories i expect for someone to take that much notice in a snare sample

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 6 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot