aaa 6 inch vs 8 inch monitors - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

25-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: 6 inch vs 8 inch monitors

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             30-Aug-07  @  05:38 PM   -   6 inch vs 8 inch monitors

joegornall

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi all,

Not sure about this one. My knowledge in acoustics is somewhat lacking. Ive decided on which monitors to go for, but not sure on the size. I guess its going to depend on the size of room Im in and the distance I am going to be from the speakers.

Im going to be using a 10ft square room for the time being but this is only going to be for another 6 months or so coz Im due to move house and I dont know what size of room Im gonna end up with. (Im guessing something similar)

Will 6 inchers do the job? What Im really trying to say is will they be bangin enough!

If so, what kind of distance would you reccommend they be from the wall and also in reference to the listening posistion/distance apart, compared to 8 inchers?

Any help appreciated,

Joe

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             11-Sep-07  @  04:29 PM   -   RE: 6 inch vs 8 inch monitors

malkytrance

Link?: Link

How long is a piece of string mate, Iam in a bedroom 14x15ft and I use Dynaudio BM6a which
are 6 inch, but seriously it aint about size, mine are loud enough but at loud volume you become
painfully aware that the room its'self is the problem and I am still one day going to treat it with
bass traps and reflection killers behind the monitors above yer head and prob on back wall and
some in each corner phew, so if I were you get a decent pair but make sure you have some
cash for acoustic treatment, I know if my monitors were any bigger id have bigger problems!
Needless to say I do all right though.
Check out my tunes to see what can be achieved with small but pro monitors and an untreated
room.should be even better when I treat it.

Malk

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S.Thompson -

Message 3/8             12-Sep-07  @  09:00 AM   -   RE: 6 inch vs 8 inch monitors

k

Link?:  Link

yeah prolly go for the smaller ones for a small room like that agreed

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/8             13-Sep-07  @  03:30 PM   -   RE: 6 inch vs 8 inch monitors

joegornall

Thanks, nice tunes btw Malky.

OK so in an ideal world, what distance would you reccommend say 6 inch monitors be:

a/ Apart from each other

b/ From the back wall

c/ From you

And should they point sightly inwards towards you or straight out?

Cheers

Message 5/8             14-Sep-07  @  05:07 PM   -   RE: 6 inch vs 8 inch monitors

k

you basicaly want to try and go for an equilateral triangle.... and dont put the speakers too close to outside walls if possible.

so, the distance between speakers is down to where you sit and where the spoeakers are positioned in terms of distance FROM you

Lets say you worked in a typical tidy media room doing editing... you have a workdesk with your mixing tablet, mouse/keys and what have you on it, and the speakers are on stands behind the desk at head height... therefore say the distance from your typical 'head' seated listening position is 5ft... therefore put the speakers 5ft apart... angled in to your head so you see each speaker the same when you move your eyes from one to the other... basicaly if you sit between them and then bring your head forward/back you'll hear a sweet spot at some position where the kikdrum comes right from the center and has the greatest punch and definition.

dunno also if you know the tip for adding some side-panel absorbtion? (to stop reflected waves bouncing off sidewalls back to your head/listening position?... not much panel size is required, 1 sq meter is enuff in a smallish room

well you do it using a mirror... you sit in your seat after positioning things as above, then get someone to hold a mirror up on the wall to your left... look sideways at the mirror and get the person to move the mirror to your commands until you can see the left speaker in the mirror - thats the left spot on the wall left

repeat and rinse for the right

then put an absorber panel at that position where the mirror was on the wall L & R

also you can go to a junk shop/charity shop and try and find some thick drapes for a few quid, the thinner the weave of the fabric the better, so 'velvet' is good... hang the curtains, (two on top of each other layered to increase thickness) behind the speakers in the middle of the two speakers on the wall so the spot behind/between them has some deadening

all that helps anyways

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/8             16-Sep-07  @  09:37 PM     Edit: 16-Sep-07  |  10:43 PM   -   RE: 6 inch vs 8 inch monitors

joegornall

Thanks very much for those tips mate,

Ive only come accross Auralex padding on the web and its god damn expensive. Do you think its worth spending money in this area or you know any alternatives? I guess though if you only need 2 x 1sq metres then it aint so bad. Im considering at least getting some of the Auralex speaker pads (think theyre £40) to put my monitors on as otherwise they'll just be sitting on a desk. Along with the curtains like you say and the 'magic' positioning of the wall pads it should do a good job I hope.

Message 7/8             17-Sep-07  @  11:51 AM   -   RE: 6 inch vs 8 inch monitors

k

Auralex padding?.. um, i know this sound amad, but.... get 2 small cheap bags of pointing sand from B&Q or wherever... those small bags of sand, sold for pointing and light brickwork repairs around the home... slap the speakers on those - if you dont like the look of the bags, put some fabric on them, then put speakers on top

yes it sounds mad, but sand is very dense and no vibrations will pass thru the bags

Message 8/8             17-Sep-07  @  07:47 PM   -   RE: 6 inch vs 8 inch monitors

milan

Link?: Link

hehe... i made some wicked speaker decouplers some months ago.

wooden boxes the size of speaker base, some 10-12cm tall, filled with sand, with about 5mm rubber mat layer on top and bottom. work really good too, practically killed any vibrations. the good bit is, they are black and cut so they look like a natural extension of the monitors.

i even made pics for a DIY tutorial, but never got around to posting them  

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)