aaa Recording in/out of phase - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

24-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Recording in/out of phase

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/4             02-Sep-07  @  07:53 AM   -   Recording in/out of phase

Anders Klitgaard

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

When using more than one mic, I know one needs to take care not to record out of phase. However, I don't know what to look for - how does one go about recording in/out of phase?
Thanks
Anders

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/4             02-Sep-07  @  07:19 PM   -   RE: Recording in/out of phase

k

Link?:  Link

oh crikey, thats a big topic... assuming both mic's/leads are in phase to start with (one mic is NOT wired up with a different 'hot' pin) then you're talking about spillage from one mic getting on another in a multi drum-mic setup, or even it can happen using just 2 mics to record something and they are different distances from the source - If recording using those 2 mics, sound picked up on one mic will be arriving at the mic diaphragm slightly earlier than it does at the further away mic... then when you use the 2 channels of recorded sound, one channel is slightly delayed... at the speed of sound (which isnt very fast) it's roughly a millisecond per foot

best to do some googling - there's thousands of articles on this on the www.. and also this is why sometimes a kit sounds really good with just the kikdrum and two overheads compared to a huge multi-mic setup

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/4             02-Sep-07  @  07:32 PM   -   RE: Recording in/out of phase

Anders Klitgaard

Thanks, K, for your kind response! I'll see what I can find.
Regards
Anders

Message 4/4             02-Sep-07  @  09:08 PM   -   RE: Recording in/out of phase

Anders Klitgaard

Okay, we've got some stuff here: http://johnvestman.com/ac_guit.htm With this, and the info in your post, K, I now feel I know what it's about in general terms. Apparently, when recording in stereo, one must check the stereo sound against the mono sound, to see if the stereo sound is still desirable, with the possibility of some benign phase interaction.
Regards
Anders

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)