aaa Basic Aux Send Question - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Basic Aux Send Question

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10             10-Sep-07  @  01:32 PM   -   Basic Aux Send Question

joegornall

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi,

Ive been messing around with the demo of GURU which is ace but I don't get how the aux send knobs work with the compressor....

If Ive got a compressor on Aux 1 and then I go to the 'pad edit' page where you can turn up the send, what am I actually doing by turning this knob up? Because if I turn it more that about half way, it starts to distort. / I thought an effect would either be on or off? So by turning the knob are you telling it how much that particular sound you want to be affected by the effect or what? But then thats like changing the compressor settings isnt it? Argh! Surely it shoudn't distort if Ive got it on full, because that would just mean that I want the full signal to be processed (which on a gentle compression setting with no make up gain) shouldnt distort right? It should compress no? Help!!

Thanks,

Joe

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/10             11-Sep-07  @  11:28 AM   -   RE: Basic Aux Send Question

k

Link?:  Link

dude!.. why would you put a compressor on an aux send? whats the point of that?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/10             13-Sep-07  @  03:37 PM   -   RE: Basic Aux Send Question

joegornall

Coz thats the only way it'll let you do it in GURU! No shit! You have 3 Aux effects you can select for each 'engine' (kit). Then on each sample edit page, you can turn up 3 knobs: Aux send 1, 2 and 3 which correspond to the amount of effect you wanna apply.

Like I say, I don't quite get it, coz surely an effect is either on or off?

Message 4/10             14-Sep-07  @  12:46 AM   -   RE: Basic Aux Send Question

k

well there's no point using it then.. sends only work with 'additive' affects

as long as some of the original signal is blended with the aux return, then a compressor wont do anything (although when you combine the 2, it will sound different)

however this could work if you can turn off/down the original channel and then render or use just the return ONLY... then you'll be using/hearing the 'returned from compressor' sound only and it will be doing it's job, albeit in a rather odd long-winded way

it'd be better to do the compression in an editor and then re-import the sample compressed (assuming your compressing dum samples

or... cant guru be routed into your sequencer mixer programme... i thought thats what it was, a vsti?... so surely the drums have outs on the mixer don't they?.. in which case why you dont compress there?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/10             14-Sep-07  @  05:16 PM   -   RE: Basic Aux Send Question

k

ok i had a look - it has 8 stereo outs... so add your compression in the s/w mixer of your host sequencer

Message 6/10             16-Sep-07  @  10:07 PM   -   RE: Basic Aux Send Question

joegornall

Yeah, Ive only been using it as a standalone coz I aint got no host yet (Im doing the deed AT LAST on Tuesday!). I take it to use this method to compress each sound individually?

So say if I have an engine in guru with 16 sounds loaded onto the pads, how do you compress each one individually? Coz if theres only 8 outs, then I can only compress 8 individual sounds no?

Sorry if this sounds like a daft fucking question but its hard to visualize without doing it for real, anyway I guess Ill find out soon somehow by playing around with it, I dont wanna bother you to much you've been really helpful.

Cheers dude

Message 7/10             17-Sep-07  @  11:54 AM   -   RE: Basic Aux Send Question

k

well, add 2 guru's then into the host.. one for the kit and one for 'other drums' or whatever to total the sounds and allow an output for each drum... we do that with battery alot, use more then one

unless guru outs can be switched to split mono

Message 8/10             17-Sep-07  @  12:21 PM   -   RE: Basic Aux Send Question

joegornall

Cool, didnt know you could do that.

I guess coming to think about it, you'll probably have your kick on its own line in your host, then your main snare so at least they can be compressed individually anyway, freeing up a few more channels if needs be.

Cheers, looking forward to the new site by the way even though this one is sweet.

Message 9/10             18-Sep-07  @  11:37 AM   -   RE: Basic Aux Send Question

k

da new one is way sweeter... yeah, having multiple examples of the same vsti open is not a problem. Like we might have several kontakt sampler's open, each playing a different set of percussion drums

Message 10/10             21-Mar-11  @  09:44 AM   -   RE: Basic Aux Send Question

Komposition.x

If Ive got a compressor on Aux 1 and then I go to the 'pad edit' page where you can turn up the send, what am I actually doing by turning this knob up? Because if I turn it more that about half way, it starts to distort.

OK simple AUX SEND- ====NO
Insert +++++++++++ = =YES!
Simple!
2/2 knows his stuff - wow! 

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot