aaa anyone going logic 8 then? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: anyone going logic 8 then?

Viewing all 31 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4

Original Message 1/31             19-Sep-07  @  04:36 PM   -   anyone going logic 8 then?

k

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

i think i'm gonna become a mac man finaly.. going for a test drive later - whaddya think?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/31             19-Sep-07  @  04:50 PM   -   RE: anyone going logic 8 then?

k

ha ha ha, i watching the macprovideo preview... sounds like the guy is talking to 5 year olds, lol

"ooooh the first thing we see is a nw logic icon!!!"

lol... decent preview tho despite the comlicated processes of logging in, downloading a special player app etc... it's just that voice... ewww

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/31             19-Sep-07  @  05:14 PM   -   RE: anyone going logic 8 then?

k

ha, i figured out what it is with his voice... he sounds like Glen Quagmire the sexual pervert from Family Guy, lol

Message 4/31             19-Sep-07  @  06:19 PM   -   RE: anyone going logic 8 then?

rags .aka. welder

Link?: Link

Hmmm... haven't seen it in action yet (Logic8) just the specs... nothing spectacular I'd say, but if Logic's your thing then there are not so many other options... maybe Sonar, but that is like learning everything again... so if you want Logic, why not?

(Ok, whats the problem with SX then?)

Message 5/31             19-Sep-07  @  07:06 PM   -   RE: anyone going logic 8 then?

joegornall

Link?:  No link

Isnt logic 8 half the price of 7? Just what I heard thats all.

Just out of interest, why the move?

Message 6/31             19-Sep-07  @  10:59 PM   -   RE: anyone going logic 8 then?

k

it's 300 quid!!!!!!!!!! no dongle!!!

man look, you know if you hung around here enuff that i am a total mac cynic, the g series from 3 to 5 imo was overpriced junk, but... omg, this release co-inciding with these new intel macs?.. it's a whole other world!

I tried it with the mac pro and 30" monitor... I went up there thinking, "Oh i could get an imac and it's still a dual-core, and even the macbook beats a G5 for power, and logic has freeze too, so an imac will do me fine and they are quite cheap", but after trying it with the full mac pro monty?

I just cant emphasise what a massive step forward it is, it's like the control consol on the USS enterprise in NextGen compared to the dashboard of an old Austin 7

first up, the workflow is all centralized... choose a channel, add an aux send and the aux bus is right there next to the channel strip on the left column, no need to fanny around tweaking the send and then going into the mixer to adjust the return bus etc

i aint tried cubase 4 so not sure hwo their new workflow is, but say compared to Sonar Producer 6?.. ok, in sonar you add an instrument and it's quite cool how it adds the actual instruemt control track and the associated midi track together all ready to go... with Logic you always had just the one track which integrates the audio instrument controller lane and the midi parts in one, but now, the channel is on the left as well as an associated bus channel, so everything you need for tweaking an instrument inc it's bus returns is all there on the left column without ever needing to go to the mixer..

wanna edit some audio?.. click it and the editor pops up above the transport bar.. in a way they have taken some of that SONAR 'all-in-one' layout, but like with Sonar you can split windows off if required

It's got Sony Vegas or Cubase style click & drag/timestretching and the new algorithms sound great, no odd artefacts, no glitching etc, they've got a whole load of algorithms for beat stuff, dialog, etc etc

the space designer reverb?... I kid you not, that ALONE is worth 3 grand, it's absolutely phenomenal!!!, like if you do mega huge trance and need to compete with the biggest global named artists for massive lush verbs, no problems!.... and you can load the reverb as a stereo verb or as a 5:1 surround verb ffs!.. same with the Delay designer which is something very special in it's own right

the exs sampler?... select it on an instrument track, and the explorer appears on the right column (the right presets browse column can be easily hidden)... ok, so, you browse the sample presets, and they auto-load and play!!!!!!!!

feck me!!, omg, like very quick and automaticaly, you select say Pizz Chellos, and theres a quick glitch and suddenly it is loaded and playing! you dont even have to touch the sampler interface!

same with the synths (inc 3rd party ones) select the track, the channel and any associated return bus appears on the left column, and the presets browser appears in the right column, just scroll thru your preset sounds in the explorer and hear them play

everything seems to be drag and drop now too!

The video preview and the video track etc is mind blowingly good, and of course all the options are there for video on various types of external video monitor devices.

the included samples (1300 free instruments!) are absolutely superb, easily as good as something like Garritan (which we own) you'd have to spend mebbe 500 or so on that content alone if you bought the samples on dvd's

the included Ultrabeat drumbox is f*cking awesome!!!, 24 seperate outs, everything you want in a drumbox with tons of great drum sounds included

Oh also they have fully re-written the rewire stuff apparently, although i didn't get to use it of course.

anyways, i've been doing this for 30 years and never have i seen a product package which offers such amazing value for money when you consider the power it gives you. I

use it with stereo i/o or add on hardware racks, protools hd units, or apogee racks etc if you need multi i/o.

Look... for those with less cash (which includes me btw!), it seems like alot to invest in a whole new hardware system. I went up there thinking "Oh well i can get an old style imac which shops are knocking out for 800 quid now, it's exactly the same spec as new imac but just with the older colour-scheme, and that'll do the job ok, and if i run out of power there's always the freeze function, so I can get a bank loan for an imac ansd pay it back at about 30 quid a month"

but, after trying it on a mac pro with the 30" screen?... ok, inc' logic 8 and without adding a firewire or pcie audio interface we're talking 3 grand with 1gb of ram and the basic hard drive

but, you can network it to your old pc for storage & backup, add in extra mac-pro ram bought from crucial or dabs way cheaper than the mac-store price (and it doesnt invalidate your warranty to do this)

anyways 3 grand is alot... is it worth it?.. well yes it is i think cos imo this annihilates pro-tools & thrashes all previous logic versions. If you work with clients for money they will be gobsmacked at the quality and it should easily pay for itself. If you know how to record vocals and guitars etc and work with songwriter clients, this will pay for itself easily.

all i can say is, if you did a loan on a full-on mac pro system, well, why would you need to ever upgrade?.. what? are we seriously going to see people switching beyond 48k or 96k in the next 5 years?.. this will do it all with absolutely gobs of spare power, so sure, there's gonna be the panther OS soon, and 8-core is here etc, but jesus H christ, it is so much power in a box., and so much is included, synths, sampler, sounds, drums, effects, it's just rediculous for 300 quid.. then roll that all up with no dongle issues, and experience the thing on that monster sized screen and i tell you, it's totaly f*cking space age!!

and.... it's silent!!! no noise!... you audition say an included upright bass or drums thru the space designer reverb... omg, it's 100% hollywood monster crystal clear sound.

you also get a full on included wav editor, total integration with final cut for film & tv work and of course dolby surround encoding is included!! (as i said the reverb and delay also can be opened in 5:1 surround config) - it's got sample accurate editing, automatic audio file transient to beat stuff, crossfading audio and their new comp/take selection system for auditioning multiple takes of audio without stacks of 'take tracks' to mute and unmute (just right click and choose a take to listen to all from the one track!)... despite the new single-screen workflow design you can still use screensets just the same as before if you like (i do!)

anyways. I aint tried Cubase 4 yet, but I bet steinberg are absolutely f8cking crapping themselves over this release.

go and try it guys, seriously, apple are gonna totaly pwn with this.

Message 7/31             20-Sep-07  @  06:51 AM   -   RE: anyone going logic 8 then?

rags .aka. welder

Aha! That was quite a rant innit?

But I see your point. Personally I have never liked SX, I was trying to get the hang of it but the workflow was just too complicated, it somehow "got in the way" all the time instead of helping me create something... sort of "I am here for the software" instead of the other way aroud...

About that freeze, does it work on parts (I mean those blocks that you can move around in arrange), or channels only? Coz I have never understood the point of freezing a channel when I am only halfway done with the song, I mean how the hell should I continue working on the channel which I have just frozen to be able to get more CPU ehhh

Logic 4 was pretty nice in its own time, and then came version 5 which kinda beat everything else with its automation capabilities, etc... SX2.0 was a pain to look at the interface alone compared to Logic 5, and that was because you couldn't even move your damn automation together with the parts (you had to copy them separately, at least I haven't figured out how to do it properly). And Sonar was always like a "this could have been something really great for dance production, and it is almost there" thing IMO...

For VSTi based guys like me, Ableton (or Fruity) is seventh heaven. (In which daw can you cut up an audio track, and drag-and-drop it into a sampler on another (midi) channel, click once to re-route the incoming midi onto that channel and start playing? Or draw your automation, - quantized or not - on top of the notes on the piano roll, and it stays with that clip for ever if you want it to...) but if I had to do work for clients, recording reas instruments, vocals, etc... there are only bad options (compared to teh usability of Live, which has great support for audio, but wasn't designed to handle 4646453211 takes on 874423 tracks with ease). In SX, you click 4 times as much as needed. And Sonar... well, an interesting product with lots of possibilities, lets say that and leave it like that.

And then you've got only esoteric options like Samplitude, which is said to be powerful, but somehow still feels like a part of the past. Protools of course, and now Logic again it seems...

So is it 3 grand, a mac pro with 30" and logic? Intel Xeon? How much memory and HDD?

Message 8/31             20-Sep-07  @  11:28 AM   -   RE: anyone going logic 8 then?

malkytrance

Good excited talk kilo, like its xmas day and you getting the big pressie to unwrap, and its
exactly what you want but better.

Seriously though as a man that began on c64-Amiga-Atari st then stienberg 12/24 finaly cubase
then got a g4 and logic 6, then a g5 logic pro yeah def gonna get pro 8, its set up like iam set up
in 7 all on one screen 24inch monitor with screen sets,

Cost agreed macs are expensive, but ive found the equivilent cpu in a pc has never done as
much as the cpu's in macs, and at the mo ive got a dual 2ghz g5 2 gig ram and a couple of
drives, and i can achieve a lot of plugins and reverbs, and yes there is no competition for a open
the box and make music now, master it and burn it and play it in yer cd player sotware.

Welcome to space designer, been using it for a few years and it is the dogs, the new system is a
total refinement with a simpler flow and it was already good, every now and then i freeze plugins
but not to often, think I have 4ghz of power, the new mac pros, the top of the line have quad core
3ghz--------------24ghz of power!, people will score entire films on these and make albums all on
one file if they want!

At the same time Iam skint at the moment, must get into me bo peep outfit and get down docks
and earn some cash ooo err hello sailor. lol
Malk

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S.Thompson -

Message 9/31             20-Sep-07  @  11:31 AM   -   RE: anyone going logic 8 then?

malkytrance

By the way what no for posts to burger/fillet ect and what are they ?

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S.Thompson -

Message 10/31             20-Sep-07  @  11:50 AM   -   RE: anyone going logic 8 then?

rags .aka. welder

Oh, isn't Space Designer a cut down version of:
http://www.voxengo.com/product/pspace/
?

Message 11/31             20-Sep-07  @  12:18 PM   -   RE: anyone going logic 8 then?

k

yeah it was quite a rant, but i blown away

I mean how the hell should I continue working on the channel which I have just frozen to be able to get more CPU ehhh

you hit feeze and it temporarily freezes, then click unfreeze to adjust something and re-freeze

yeah 3k for the massive screen package, but it works perfectly well an imac core2 which is 1100 qith a super 24" widescreen... the screen looks big and the quality is prestine of course

anyways the big package with basic spec mac pro (dual 2.66) quad, 1gb ram, basic 250gb drive & 30" display is 3k, and works out at about 104 a month for 36 months

i spose what blew me away is that 3 grand not too long ago when DT was getting bigger, well that was what people spent on a hi end sampler!.. just a sampler. so when one compares what 3k gets you, the whole package is like an ultimate workstation.. given the rediculous included content with Logic pro, it's unbeatable and actualy it is super cheap when you see the package and compare it to what 3k would buy you a few years back

in that sense it is so worth it - if someone walked up and offered that power/package back in late 90's you'd keel over with suprise. and that monitor just takes it to another dimension, the interface is HUGE, a massive sequencer screen

anyways i think it's fair to say despite music tech site protocol of not encouraging cracks, apple blatently here with the lack of dongle are asking for logic pro 8 to be used by all and sundry, of course it'll end up online for free and they bloody well know it and know people will go out and get an imac at least... and then it's so cheap half of them are likely to buy into the real deal to get updates and be legal and get the content (the full package is alot for torrents even).

I spose what sold me was the idea that it was the same company controlling the hardware and soft.... so it is like buying a one-brand-name sampler in that respect

and another thought - the package if bundled with a cheaper 24" imac dual core is about the cost of 3 Liquidmix units and a pair of trainers.. not bad again. and even a macbook is faster than a g5

anyways, I said i didnt inted to go beyond an imac, but with their financing and after the experience of that huge sequencer display on the 30" screen it takes it to a whole new world, silly a display can make so much difference but really after coming up on lcd's and then small pc screens it is quite an experience - Despite the fact it is a 30" screen, in reality it is way bigger than a 32" TV screen, it just seems way bigger and the resolution is so fine it's like looking at a sheet of reflection-free glass

and then there's the whole silent pc issue.. the mac is 100% silent... tot up the price to build a totaly silent quad core pc and add the same screen - then check that logic is 3/5 price of cubase.. i dont think you could build a pc and beat that spec anymore whereas before with the entire G-series you could always build a pc that'd beat a mac for price/power ratio by a big margin and macs had all those memory bus issues etc so the pc would usualy outperform the mac too

anyways, it's worth a thought.

Message 12/31             21-Sep-07  @  02:38 PM   -   RE: anyone going logic 8 then?

malkytrance

Hey Kilo you can save a load of money if you buy a dell 24 inch wide screen flat panel hd i got
one and it is fantastic and has connectors on it for 4 different inputs/ so 4 computers if you want i
got my little g4 hooked up to it just press a button or have pic in pic easily as good quality
fraction of the price there high def perfect picture and mine was £500, how much is the apple 30
inch £1199 phew thats another mac pro init almost.
Malk

Message 13/31             21-Sep-07  @  03:15 PM   -   RE: anyone going logic 8 then?

k

yeah but the apple 30" is way bigger, it's bigger than my 32" TV, so mebbe they measure differently, mebbe they dont measure it horizontaly??.. it seemed huge anyways.. I'll have to go back and take a tape measure and see

um yeah tho, i thought about getting 2 generic screens and tbh i could easily work on 2 x 15" flats even, and buying 2 x 19 widescreen flats to go with would be peanuts prices, but..... the experience of that cinema display, 'kin' 'ell!! - it is a shame it's so much money tho when you can get a new LG 37" HD TV for 650 quid now!

i even thought about just being happy with a 24" imac, and i might regret it tbh, but i figure if i use it for edu lessons privately it'll pay for itself, and students can sit with me easily and see things easily, plus film contacts can rent it for editing If i bung Final Cut on it..

also there's been a new development... i think my brother is gonna get it for me.. he is a big-time mac buyer and gets the VAT back so i think he might buy it for me, claim back the VAT, & i just pay him tjhe ex-vat total.. he's checking with his accountant anyways so i might get it all vat free which has to be then so worth it!

the other thing is, space.. i have so much bits all tied together and leads everywhere, i almost live in a 6 x 6 foot floor space there's so much gear here, I've got 7 keyboards all stored up on ceiling shelves cos there's no room for them for example, then there's a dat machine and a rack sampler sitting in the bedroom on top of the chest of drawers along with 2 drum machines and a tabletop synth - the bedroom also houses a big pair of main monitors and a mixer leaning against the wall, the kitchen has a marshall rig in it and 12 stacking boxes of leads, cards, parts and pc bitz, lol, it's mad!! there's just no space in London unless you are really wealthy

anyways, i have now a 'cooling off' period before i order, so i can always change my mind, I'll go back and try it again, but this time on the 24" imac screen and see, but that 30" is just... well i said it already, lol - and i think really Logic 8 is designed to use as one big screen so why not go for that rather than splitting it in half?

I kinda also like the idea to transform all the bits and pieces into a single system, with just one huge screen, a quality 8x8 i/o interface, small surround speaker system, and a smaller rack of selected 'keeper' hardware.. my bloody rack is 8 ft tall ffs!!

the other thing to consider is Logic 8 comes with so much content i wont need to get newe intel mac versions of things like Kontakt or Battery so i'll save a bit there, although i do need to get a new absynth, fm8, arturia moog and REASON - otherwise everything you need is in the box frankly

dude seriously, I'm turning into the audio/pc equivilent of that guy who used to live up the road when you were a kid... he had a garage full to the roof with bicycle bits & spares and all the kids go and he fixes their pushbikes. It's nice to help people but some living space wouldnt go amiss

Message 14/31             21-Sep-07  @  10:48 PM   -   RE: anyone going logic 8 then?

softcore

hey guys.....you could check this out

New Features in SONAR 7

SONAR 7 has many new features (some features are in SONAR Producer only). The following is a list and description of each new feature.

MIDI Enhancements:

Step Sequencer
Flexible Piano Roll Tools

Piano Roll View Enhancements:

Multiple Automation Controller Lanes
Piano Roll Microscope Mode
Note Event Colors Based on Velocity
Hiding Events in Muted Clips
Adjust Velocity without Changing the Display Type
Select Controllers within Note Duration
Show Velocity on Selected Notes (Optional)
Selection Sensitive Velocity Drawing
Note/Controller Painting (freehand)
Note/Controller Painting (linear)
Controller/Velocity Painting (freehand)
Controller/Velocity Painting (linear)
Note Split
Note Glue
Drag-Quantize
MIDI Event Mute
New Erase Tool Behaviour
Note Hit Testing Improvements
Velocity Audition Options
V-Vocal Pitch-to-MIDI
MIDI Activity Indicators

New Instruments & Instrument Enhancements:

Dimension LE Synth with Garritan Pocket Orchestra
Rapture LE Synth
DropZone Synth
Z3TA+ Synth
Rename Synths in the Synth Rack View
Delete Synth Safeguards
Reload Instrument Definitions

Mixing, Bussing & Playback Enhancements:

Sidechaining
Sidechainable Sonitus Plug-ins
Sidechainable Vintage Channel VC-64 Plug-in
Audio I/O Assignment
LP-64 EQ Plug-in
LP-64 Multiband Compressor Plug-in
External Insert Plug-in
Copying EQ Settings
Dim Solo Mode
Allow Playback with No Data
Reduce GUI Updates to Improve Playback Performance

Export & Delivery Enhancements:

Real-time Bounce
Modification to Track Export
64-bit timeline
Sony Wave-64 Support
New Audio File Formats
Preview Bus
Integrated Audio CD Ripping
Cakewalk Publisher
Burning Audio CDs
Miscellaneous Updates:
Revert Clip(s) to Original Time Stamp
Import Audio / MIDI Files from Clips Pane
File Recovery Mode

SONAR 7 includes a new plug-in called External Insert, which can be inserted in any audio FX bin.

The purpose of this plug-in is to route audio to and from existing I/O ports in SONAR, allowing an external audio device to be effectively patched into any FX bin. This allows you to seamlessly incorporate your favourite outboard gear in a SONAR project.

The External Insert plug-in is able to measure and automatically compensate for the round-trip delay through your audio hardware (the time it takes for the audio to exit you computer, be processed by your external audio hardware and finally returned to the computer).

The new Piano Roll Microscope mode makes it much easier to edit MIDI data without constantly needing to change zoom settings. This is especially useful in the inline Piano Roll where track heights are typically sized such that MIDI notes become very small.

When Microscope mode is enabled, a transparent rounded square centered on the mouse cursor shows a zoomed in region of the Piano Roll data underneath it:

Only the work area under the mouse is zoomed in while the rest of the data retains its normal size.

SONAR 7 features an improved Erase tool that marks events for deletion instead of automatically deleting them. When you touch events with the Erase tool, the events are not actually deleted until you release the mouse button.

Events that are marked for deletion are temporarily drawn in a different color. You can choose to abort the delete operation by pressing Esc before you release the mouse button.

LP-64 EQ Plug-in

Note: the LP-64 EQ plug-in is only available in SONAR Producer Edition.

Unlike traditional equalizers, LP-64 EQ provides highly accurate control of tonal balance while maintaining a linear-phase shift at all frequencies, regardless of the gain settings. Phase-shifting in typical equalizers means that audio material is shifted in time in a frequency-dependent way. Alignment of low and high frequencies may have changed with respect to one another and to the original audio material. In other words, the sound is literally "pulled apart" in time, often resulting in loss of sonic clarity and crispness. With LP-64 EQ linear-phase processing, the integrity of your audio is maintained for all frequencies, at all times--no unintended coloration, cancellations, comb filtering, or muddy transients. When a host application, such as SONAR, compensates for the plug-in's overall latency, the resulting linear-phase output is referred to as "zero-phase".

LP-64 EQ is well suited for critical mastering projects.

LP-64 Multiband Compressor Plug-in

Note: the LP-64 Multiband Compressor plug-in is only available in SONAR Producer Edition.

The LP-64 Multiband Compressor consists of four high-quality compressors, each operating on a single adjustable frequency band.

Unlike typical limiters, the filters that split up the frequency bands in the LP-64 Multiband Compressor plug-in are of the Linear Phase variety. This allows you to split up the spectrum into bands and then sum them back together with no phase errors or colorations.

Most typical limiters color the sound even if they are doing nothing, because the splitting/re-combining of the bands is done with IIR (Infinite impulse response) filters with phase shift.

SONAR 7 now supports multi-input plug-ins, which are typically sidechain plug-ins that have two inputs: a primary input and a sidechain input.

When SONAR detects such a plug-in in an FX bin, a virtual output port is created for each extra input exposed by the plug-in. Audio track, Bus and Send outputs can be routed to sidechain inputs.

Sidechaining is typically used with compressors to limit one signal depending on the signal level of another. Common applications are to reduce the level of a bass guitar when there is a kick drum, or to reduce the level of music whenever a speaker talks (often used for background music in radio- and television programs). There are of course many more applications that are not mentioned here.

SONAR 7 includes the following plug-ins that support sidechaining:

Boost 11 (Producer Edition only)
Sonitus Compressor
Sonitus Gate
Vintage Channel VC-64 (Producer Edition only)

Message 15/31             22-Sep-07  @  02:04 PM   -   RE: anyone going logic 8 then?

k

yes, see other thread for my response

Message 16/31             31-Oct-07  @  04:15 PM   -   RE: anyone going logic 8 then?

k

so did anyone get it then? I got the cash together, then some other stuff came up, so I waited a week or 2 and then bug reports started to come though... some of it a bit worrying although it seemed to me most of the issues were with people running it on older machines or laptops... but, the deadly Logic overload message has been appearing for people with hardly anything running... I'm wondering now wether to do it or just get an old g4 to do the logic video series... as long as it can run it and capture video that'd be enuff

anyways - anyone got it?

Message 17/31             31-Oct-07  @  04:56 PM   -   RE: anyone going logic 8 then?

nutoniom

nope, still happy with VST 5/32

Message 18/31             01-Nov-07  @  11:23 AM   -   RE: anyone going logic 8 then?

k

heh heh... yeah i know what you mean... I did some work a few days ago (been off music rec' for a few weeks) and I can zip around Logic 5 so damned fast!

Message 19/31             01-Nov-07  @  04:54 PM   -   RE: anyone going logic 8 then?

nutoniom

Exactly. I checked SX out, but couldn't find my way around in it and I hated the wannabe mac gui

Message 20/31             19-Nov-07  @  11:25 AM   -   RE: anyone going logic 8 then?

Avene

I was looking at this Logic studio too. Could upgrade from my PC version 5.51 pretty cheaply which makes it appealing. The whole package looks pretty impressive too. But I bought E-MU's Windows only Emulator X2 a few months back, and it's killer. I'd miss that big time if I switched to Logic 8, and there's no way EXS24 could ever compete with the X2 and it's Z-plane filters, and all the other cool stuff it has. I'm also a fan of the free Nebula plugin from CM mag that emulates all the classic outboard gear. That's Windows only too. Logic 8 does have plenty to offer like the loops, sound library, all the plugins etc. Still there's loads of free VST plugins out there that probably do just as good a job.

So I've convinced myself Logic 8 isn't the way to go, but have been looking at Nuendo 4. Appears to have some killer stuff including some nice new editing features, and the upgrade from v2 isn't as expensive as I thought.

And yeah, even the old PC 5.51 version of Logic still works great. Probably the main thing it lacks is the sample accurate editing on the timeline. If you're just doing midi based stuff, it's fine.

Message 21/31             19-Nov-07  @  04:42 PM   -   RE: anyone going logic 8 then?

k

Avene !!... bloody hell... you used to come here years ago innit?

yeah i still didnt do it. I spose one might as well wait now until the new OS is out fully and logic 8 has been evaluated using that, and even then.... mebbe not, i just find mac's mouse so clumsy

Message 22/31             20-Nov-07  @  09:31 AM   -   RE: anyone going logic 8 then?

Avene

Kilo, haha, yeah.. long time ago. I remember when this site was one big black page with red and green text. Still drop in from time to time. Guess I haven't posted for a while though.

That's right, the new OSX... I don't know, if I went for it I'd probably end up getting one of the cheap sardine can macs to run it on.. The Mini. I've heard heard from a few people that it would still be powerful enough.

Message 23/31             20-Nov-07  @  04:21 PM   -   RE: anyone going logic 8 then?

k

d'ya think it would really?.. mind you they are cheap and if you werent doing much plugins... it's the bug reports that are weirding me out and stopping me from going for it tbh - I might borrow a G4 and see if it goes on that first cos tbh, we only really need it to do a logic 8 video screen capture thingy.. i'm perfectly happy with old Logic 5 on pc. it does everything you want and i cant think of any bugs it has

Message 24/31             20-Nov-07  @  11:02 PM   -   RE: anyone going logic 8 then?

S1GNALRUNNERS - BLU

Logic 8 and imac here!

couldnt be happier.....

have the best of both worlds with cubase4 and pc in the studio and logic8 and imac for mobil(ish)
duties!

was shit scared of logic for years after getting periodically burned at other peoples studios and
scared off - but this logic 8 , shiiiiiiit - cubase audio editing aside, is really really tidy!

alan

Message 25/31             21-Nov-07  @  01:50 AM   -   RE: anyone going logic 8 then?

k

no bugs for you so far then Alan?

Message 26/31             21-Nov-07  @  03:17 AM   -   RE: anyone going logic 8 then?

S1GNALRUNNERS - BLU

i dont think so...

however, ive never (so far!) seemed to be unlucky enough to experience the various problems i
read on user forums on new releases.

same with cubase 4 on the pc - runs sweet as!

Im quite a heavy user in the way of working the sequencer/plugs/cpu fairly hard to get the job done
in the easiest fashion, BUT i generally just skim the surfaces of these sequencers i think if im
honest. I dont delve into all the various menus/sub menus which is probably were the bugs are....

anyway, on the surface of things , and from the straight forward and to the point way i work, its as
tight as a ducks ass imo!

Message 27/31             21-Nov-07  @  03:37 AM   -   RE: anyone going logic 8 then?

k

excellent... yes i know what you mean, some features are very deep, and specialist too; all i want is to build tracks fast, no holdups and easy external hardware integration, all nicely in sync and a solid clock

Message 28/31             22-Nov-07  @  04:31 AM   -   RE: anyone going logic 8 then?

Avene

I'm sure it would run fine on a sardine can MacMini according to a guy I know running Logic 8 on a G4. Might need an external drive though, but you can buy these hard drive enclosures called iQube that are the same size as the MacMini and just sit underneath it for use with any 3.5" drive.

Big monitors are becoming cheaper too. 24" especially. Best to shop around.

But yeah, if you don't plan on doing much audio editing on the timeline, the old PC Logic still works a treat.

Message 29/31             22-Nov-07  @  06:16 PM   -   RE: anyone going logic 8 then?

k

so g4's are ok yes?... my brother has a few old ones in storage I can have he said, not sure of the specs of them tho, they are ex-graphics machines... but as long as one of them will run logic, a few plugs and capture screen video via some freeware capture soft, then that's all i need really for now

Message 30/31             23-Nov-07  @  04:51 PM   -   RE: anyone going logic 8 then?

Malcolm Jeffery

I will wait for leopard to settle in, then for logic update to make it work with leopard, then for all
plugin upadates.

As for g4s well you wont run many space designers on them, and forget about some plugs like
massive, depends what you want to do. but if you want all the goodies it offers you need a good
machine, second hand ppc will run quite good, but rest assured some new plugs are coming that
will only run on logic 8 and powerful cpu's, they always do that, makes you have to upgrade by
selling your granny and doing drug experiments for fizer till your head swells up just so you can
model the sound of a cardboard tube in a wooden box being hit by a plastic duck whilist air is
blown over the top. lol

Malk

Message 31/31             09-Mar-08  @  06:13 AM   -   RE: anyone going logic 8 then?

k

File?:  File

303-riff-all.mp3

i knocked this up with ultrabeat. it's quite cool cos the grid can be switched to 'step', and then (seeing as each row has a synth in it anyways) it can play a bassline with a tr-style programming grid. The downside i find is diffulty in adjusting note poitch as there is absolutely no visual pitch/key readout as you adjust the ertical level control. you really need to have the synth-panel open then you can see the osc change pitch there - but still it's not ideal, it's a tad fiddly, but then no doubt there's some good key shortcuts tio learn, anyways it does quite nice, honking techno-y stuff, i loaded a 606 hat and x-base kik the other durms are drum the ultrabeat drum synth

lol the eq is all over the shop cos of the cheap cans i listen on btw

i thought i might as well add to this thread as it's about logic not mac so much really

Viewing all 31 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4

There are 31 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot