aaa to all sonar lovers - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

25-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: to all sonar lovers

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             21-Sep-07  @  10:50 PM   -   to all sonar lovers

softcore

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

hey guys.....check this out

New Features in SONAR 7

SONAR 7 has many new features (some features are in SONAR Producer only). The following is a list and description of each new feature.

MIDI Enhancements:

Step Sequencer
Flexible Piano Roll Tools

Piano Roll View Enhancements:

Multiple Automation Controller Lanes
Piano Roll Microscope Mode
Note Event Colors Based on Velocity
Hiding Events in Muted Clips
Adjust Velocity without Changing the Display Type
Select Controllers within Note Duration
Show Velocity on Selected Notes (Optional)
Selection Sensitive Velocity Drawing
Note/Controller Painting (freehand)
Note/Controller Painting (linear)
Controller/Velocity Painting (freehand)
Controller/Velocity Painting (linear)
Note Split
Note Glue
Drag-Quantize
MIDI Event Mute
New Erase Tool Behaviour
Note Hit Testing Improvements
Velocity Audition Options
V-Vocal Pitch-to-MIDI
MIDI Activity Indicators

New Instruments & Instrument Enhancements:

Dimension LE Synth with Garritan Pocket Orchestra
Rapture LE Synth
DropZone Synth
Z3TA+ Synth
Rename Synths in the Synth Rack View
Delete Synth Safeguards
Reload Instrument Definitions

Mixing, Bussing & Playback Enhancements:

Sidechaining
Sidechainable Sonitus Plug-ins
Sidechainable Vintage Channel VC-64 Plug-in
Audio I/O Assignment
LP-64 EQ Plug-in
LP-64 Multiband Compressor Plug-in
External Insert Plug-in
Copying EQ Settings
Dim Solo Mode
Allow Playback with No Data
Reduce GUI Updates to Improve Playback Performance

Export & Delivery Enhancements:

Real-time Bounce
Modification to Track Export
64-bit timeline
Sony Wave-64 Support
New Audio File Formats
Preview Bus
Integrated Audio CD Ripping
Cakewalk Publisher
Burning Audio CDs
Miscellaneous Updates:
Revert Clip(s) to Original Time Stamp
Import Audio / MIDI Files from Clips Pane
File Recovery Mode

SONAR 7 includes a new plug-in called External Insert, which can be inserted in any audio FX bin.

The purpose of this plug-in is to route audio to and from existing I/O ports in SONAR, allowing an external audio device to be effectively patched into any FX bin. This allows you to seamlessly incorporate your favourite outboard gear in a SONAR project.

The External Insert plug-in is able to measure and automatically compensate for the round-trip delay through your audio hardware (the time it takes for the audio to exit you computer, be processed by your external audio hardware and finally returned to the computer).

The new Piano Roll Microscope mode makes it much easier to edit MIDI data without constantly needing to change zoom settings. This is especially useful in the inline Piano Roll where track heights are typically sized such that MIDI notes become very small.

When Microscope mode is enabled, a transparent rounded square centered on the mouse cursor shows a zoomed in region of the Piano Roll data underneath it:

Only the work area under the mouse is zoomed in while the rest of the data retains its normal size.

SONAR 7 features an improved Erase tool that marks events for deletion instead of automatically deleting them. When you touch events with the Erase tool, the events are not actually deleted until you release the mouse button.

Events that are marked for deletion are temporarily drawn in a different color. You can choose to abort the delete operation by pressing Esc before you release the mouse button.

LP-64 EQ Plug-in

Note: the LP-64 EQ plug-in is only available in SONAR Producer Edition.

Unlike traditional equalizers, LP-64 EQ provides highly accurate control of tonal balance while maintaining a linear-phase shift at all frequencies, regardless of the gain settings. Phase-shifting in typical equalizers means that audio material is shifted in time in a frequency-dependent way. Alignment of low and high frequencies may have changed with respect to one another and to the original audio material. In other words, the sound is literally "pulled apart" in time, often resulting in loss of sonic clarity and crispness. With LP-64 EQ linear-phase processing, the integrity of your audio is maintained for all frequencies, at all times--no unintended coloration, cancellations, comb filtering, or muddy transients. When a host application, such as SONAR, compensates for the plug-in's overall latency, the resulting linear-phase output is referred to as "zero-phase".

LP-64 EQ is well suited for critical mastering projects.

LP-64 Multiband Compressor Plug-in

Note: the LP-64 Multiband Compressor plug-in is only available in SONAR Producer Edition.

The LP-64 Multiband Compressor consists of four high-quality compressors, each operating on a single adjustable frequency band.

Unlike typical limiters, the filters that split up the frequency bands in the LP-64 Multiband Compressor plug-in are of the Linear Phase variety. This allows you to split up the spectrum into bands and then sum them back together with no phase errors or colorations.

Most typical limiters color the sound even if they are doing nothing, because the splitting/re-combining of the bands is done with IIR (Infinite impulse response) filters with phase shift.

SONAR 7 now supports multi-input plug-ins, which are typically sidechain plug-ins that have two inputs: a primary input and a sidechain input.

When SONAR detects such a plug-in in an FX bin, a virtual output port is created for each extra input exposed by the plug-in. Audio track, Bus and Send outputs can be routed to sidechain inputs.

Sidechaining is typically used with compressors to limit one signal depending on the signal level of another. Common applications are to reduce the level of a bass guitar when there is a kick drum, or to reduce the level of music whenever a speaker talks (often used for background music in radio- and television programs). There are of course many more applications that are not mentioned here.

SONAR 7 includes the following plug-ins that support sidechaining:

Boost 11 (Producer Edition only)
Sonitus Compressor
Sonitus Gate
Vintage Channel VC-64 (Producer Edition only)

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             22-Sep-07  @  01:54 PM   -   RE: to all sonar lovers

k

Link?:  Link

yeah, was checking it last night actualy... was that step-sequencer in the previous version? I had the V6 Demo and didn't see it... also that Mouse preferences settings thing is a great idea, did you see that in the video?

it certainly looks the bollox. I like the way you just drag a midi part out and it repeats the pattern again and again rather than the usual procedure of copying clips/parts

wasnt so impressed the the roland voice thingy tho, in the dmeo even with lowish quality sound you can hear artefacts when he coprrects pitch

also the drumbox demo in the video could have used better samples, but it's good the way the step sequencer works while other midi parts are looping on tracks, thats good

the sonitus plugs are really nice and that vintage channel strip if also great (tried em with the V6 demo) and everything is sidechainable too... it does look tempting, but I know logic and will still prolly go for that but for dance music making with Sonar, those things and the step sequencer is looking very good I must say.

you got it yet? and if so are you running it on VISTA? and if so, how does it perform in terms of guzzling resources?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/8             22-Sep-07  @  03:22 PM   -   RE: to all sonar lovers

rags .aka. welder

Dunno... I am using Live now, but I just can't stop trying out new things and when I was looking into Sonar 6 I was ALMOST tempted to get it...

The 64 bit (floating point!) is an overkill so to say, you can't really differentiate between a 32 bit and a 64 bit mix... but the good thing about it that some plugins are already using 64 bit FP for internal calculations, and it seems to be a good idea to "open up" the whole architecture so there's no need for converting back and forth just because the audio engine of the host is 32 bits...

Also, Cakewalk has paid attention and sourced plugins from vendors who already do things in 64 bit, so the eg. the Golden Audio channel (from Kjaerhus) was always 64 bit inside, its just there is no converting back to 32 bits... so the more plugins you chain together, the more you can hear the difference.

Channel EQ-s were already 64 bit in Sonar 6 (by Ultrafunk) and I absolutely loved the sound (as far as you can love the sound of an EQ, hehh :-)

When it comes to Sonar7, apart from the sidechaining support and the extra limiter and FIR stuff (multiband compressor + eq) the improvements are more workflow oriented, and that migt be just that little edge that Sonar has needed in my opinion...

They doesn't seem to have a sampler bundled, but then I don't know if the Logic one has been improved or not, back in 5.5 it used to alias quite a bit (but then at that time kontakt used to alias just as bad) so maybe that is not an issue any more.

Message 4/8             23-Sep-07  @  12:52 PM   -   RE: to all sonar lovers

k

well it's really designed for Vista,, apparently you get a substantial % increase in resources using Vista they say, I'd be loath to use vista tho myself. I suppose also vsita and full 64 bit then gives you access to more ram

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/8             23-Sep-07  @  05:51 PM     Edit: 23-Sep-07  |  05:53 PM   -   RE: to all sonar lovers

softcore

Its funny because I had this info about sonar 7 a week ago,it was kind of a leak from cakewalk's and there was nothing at cakewalk's official site......but then I saw your replies about the videos and I thought "what the hell,what videos".....then i headed to cakewalk's and ,well,it seems sonar 7 its already out!!!!

Anyway,the step sequencer was NOT featured in sonar 6,to answer your question,and for the time being I totally agree on NOT using vista on my music making computer.

By the way when I started this music-making-with-PC thing,I started on FL studio and when I switched to sonar I really missed the step sequencer of FL........now its integrated in sonar!!!

Add to that the true sidechaining and the workflow enhancements....oh well I can pretty much say sonar is becoming a monster!!!

Message 6/8             24-Sep-07  @  10:23 AM   -   RE: to all sonar lovers

k

agreed, theyve been getting there year in year out.. the fx included now are superb, I got to use them for the month demo and it's good stuff, very nice eq as well

gotta check cubase4 tho, is there a demo? Steinberg never seem to have demos anymore... i watched some of their videos tho and the 'new fx' video doesnt mention sidechaining at all as a built-in feature.. I must say, the 4 videos available do seem to show just lots of fiddly 'backroom' stuff, but stuff like the new instrument tracks gets only the most cursory mention and no detail whatsoever, so you still are unsure as to what exactly they have done in any detail... they are rather unimpressive videos anyways I would expect more from a company launching a new major product revision.

Message 7/8             25-Sep-07  @  06:43 AM   -   RE: to all sonar lovers

rags .aka. welder

AFAIK Steinberg doesn't provide demos any more, they are said to be too afraid of crackers somehow using the demos to remove the copy protection... mind you, I haven't seen any Sonar 7 demos either (and even though Sonar 6 had demos, they refused to start on my machine... )

Message 8/8             25-Sep-07  @  01:43 PM   -   RE: to all sonar lovers

k

Well, Nuendo 4 is out... 1800 bucks tho!.. crickey! is it really so different to cubase 4 it's that expensive?

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)