aaa photon x25 with ableton live - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

20-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: photon x25 with ableton live

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             28-Nov-07  @  06:46 PM   -   photon x25 with ableton live

King Pixel

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi, i just bought a brand new Photon X25 to control effects loops etc on Ableton Live. I need to say that i am a total newbie on midi keyboard, never had one and no idea what they can or can't do, a friend of mine suggested this Alesis one saying it was a great deal so here i am struggling to put it to work.

I plugged it into my comp and everything's fine, i set it so it communicates with live and also on live preferences everything is as it should be (i have followed live instructions).

My only problem now is that although the keyboard actually plays Live instruments, i can't control anything through the knobs nor the small keys (play stop rec punch in and out loop etc). Same thing for the axyz thingy. I turn it on and nothing happens at all.

Is there anyone there that can help me understand what exactly i have to do to have it working fully? Maybe even specifying what i can and what i can't ask the photon to do. The least technical terms you will use the more i will understand.

Thanks a lot.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             29-Nov-07  @  01:39 PM   -   RE: photon x25 with ableton live

King Pixel

I need to add thsi, i use the line6 tone port UX2 as a sound card, i have a feeling they don't get on very well...

Message 3/7             29-Nov-07  @  02:16 PM   -   RE: photon x25 with ableton live

k

Link?:  Link

well i dont use either, but surely you must train ableton to 'see' the controllers... map the hardware controllers to the ableton controls you wish to manipulate... thats normaly what has to happen with any controller, wether you set those things manualy in ableton, or do it with some controller 'learn' function in ableton etc

I tried ableton a few times in past versions, but don't know it enuff to help except to say the above is the direction you normaly need to go in to get a controller working... but i do remember getting controllers to work in Ableton was easy

what version ableton is it?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/7             29-Nov-07  @  02:38 PM   -   RE: photon x25 with ableton live

King Pixel

Hi K. I use ableton Live V6.
I am sure it is something very easy but at the moment i am finding it quite hard to understand as the photon manual seem to confuse me more than help me...
It says:

Press the RECALL PRESET button and turn the clear cursor knob to reach the program number indicated on the templates. Press the cursor knob to enter this program. You should now be able to control the software according to the templates.

What i have done is i turned the clear cursor knob to find "live" (there are a lot of other software you can choose), pressed it and tried to use the keboard to control the software but nothing happened. Did i not understand something on this instruction??

Message 5/7             29-Nov-07  @  05:23 PM   -   RE: photon x25 with ableton live

k

ah i see, it has templates, i'd have to look that up, but.... ableton should work with any controller... i remember using it in the past and it was so easy to set anything to LEARN a controller

did u try that?.. like going to an Ableton panel with the controls on it and right clicking to see if there is some LEARN menu? i'm sure that all we did... selected LEARN for a s/w control pot/parameter, wiggled the hardware knob, and thats that, it learns the controller...

otherwise i'd have to look myself

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/7             29-Nov-07  @  05:42 PM   -   RE: photon x25 with ableton live

k

besides, i just checked and if the alesis website is up to date, then there is no template for ableton

Message 7/7             29-Nov-07  @  07:14 PM   -   RE: photon x25 with ableton live

King Pixel

Thanks for your help K. I am now starting to understand how things work and the mapping etc... Poor me ignorant

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)