aaa admin - almost there for a new user admin beta-1 - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: admin - almost there for a new user admin beta-1

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             06-Feb-08  @  03:47 PM   -   admin - almost there for a new user admin beta-1

k

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

been at it like a madman.. even worked right thru my birthday yesterday! - keep finding more bits to tweak or ways to reduce server load.... it's all thsoe little fiddly bits you find over and over

man i'm discovering horrendous queries i wrote when i knew less about it... like the track vote action page? it calls the entire user results just to obtain a few feilds!!... so those sort of things are now super-trimmed to lighten the server load and make it quicker!!

anyways not much to go... the new admin will launch without the user homepage bit, it'll be totaly switched off, and DT admin at that point will be removed entirely so all admin has to be done in 7161

but what we want is to try and trace this bad code bug and so we need to switch that all off and then test it bit by bit and re-wteak it before relaunch... so it's getting there, mebbe 2 weeks?... after it launches we'll need to shut down for a day or 2 after that section is bugtested, cos we need to then move all the user soundfiles on disks, but hopefully that'll make the server more efficient... at the moment all audio track/mix files go into one DIR.. zazza thinks it might be better if each user has their own DIR so we'll have to do that and then the code for track adding is jigged to dump your files to your folder, which means all PLAY code has to be altered

*sigh*

it'll be worth it i think

i've also been looking at the new TRACK VOTE code.... i think that can be improved to make the chart more responsive... at the moment, when someone votes a track, the code checks the tracks position in the chart, stores that, then adds a vote; but it doesnt check and store the position of the other 39 tracks in the chart at the moment ONE track in that chart gets a voote... the consequence of that is, a track at position say 12 moved up to position 8, and the tracks it passed and overtook don't show a down movement because they have all in fact been pushed down by one vote as the voted for track moved above them

well the new vote code will do that now (i'm working on it), and thus the chart'll reflect more movement.

as for the VOTE itself and the votes peoples track already have, I did it like this

with the new vote system, you vote with a STAR vote, like on every single other www site... so, regardless of how many stars you vote for a track, it enters one CHART vote, but counts the stars, logs that and also logs one vote in the track table... so the chart carries a single new vote and the track itself also carries this and keeps total as they go

ok, so how did we integrate the votes tracks ALREADY have up to this change-over?

well what i did was this... it seemed the best and fairest way to do it

i did some scripts... one counted the total chart votes for each track... but chart-voting only is ONE vote per vote so to speak, each chart-vote gives us ONE vote, but no star-total for that vote... so I figured "How do i turn those individual chart-votes also into a STAR-count PER-VOTE?"...

We can take each single chart-vote already acheived for each track and simply convert that to a vote count, but if we then dump those totals into the database we'll have say a track with 100 votes, and that 100 votes gives only 100 stars!... so each vote would be ONE star, and when the nw site output displays, that then gives tha track a rating of just ONE STAR per vote!! which would imply the voter didnt rate it well at all! - That's no good obviously... i figured that was NOT what people intened when chart-voting over the pervious years.

so I figured that when someone chart-votes a track, they are in effect saying "Yes, I really like this track!", and if they had a STAR-vote during that time, they would have voted either 4 or 5 out of 5 cos they are voting a track they really like for the chart

so i wrote a little math script and each individual chart-vote was allocated a star-count PER VOTE between 4 and 5 stars based on a odd/even random generator

so this means when the new site opens, tracks which previously had votes already will still have visible votes in the new site

if we take 2 tracks each with exactly 100 votesTOTAL from the old site chart-vote system.. AFTER the script conversion one of those tracks will have 100 vote-instances giving 450 stars total; and the other might have 100 vote-instances with 475 stars

to some extent it's random, but basicaly it means that if 2 tracks both had 100 chart-votes before the switch, both those tracks on the new site will have around 400-500 stars and both appear ranked similarly

that seems fair doesn't it? otherwise voting would have to start from scratch with the new site and all previous visitor activity would dissapear on the new site.

ok, but thats not all the votes.. I also did the script to ALSO count the total reviews, each with their rank of 1-5 stars which alrweady was working... in that case we simply counted the review posts PER TRACK, each one was counted as a single vote as well as a COMMENT, and then the people already had added a mark from 1-5 so those were totalled as STARS

we then added both chart-vote, and review-vote total together and dumped them into the DB

so, i hope you all agree that was a fair and best way to do it?.. so that we can see pervious votes etc when the new site opens and it doesnt begin just with all the tracks having no votes or ranks or anything!

So from that point onwards the new track-vote stars system will run, you vote stars for tracks and each star vote is tallied and logged, but for each vote given, regardless of the total stars per-vote, the new vote system will add ONE chartvote as usual so the chart functions in tandem with the star-vote system.

phew... there's been more work that I thought.. lol, I alredy did this script and the new site shows votes great, but I did it like 8 weeks ago, so no votes SINCE then have been counted into the NEW system. When the new site opens I'll run the script again one last time just to retotal all OLD SITE votes before we shut that vote system down and remove the old pages

I'm also tweaking the forums and chart to be nippier

other things is when you go to the track-browse or chart you can switch genres and master genres without reloading the site in a main genre

so in the chart page you can jump between charts for the 3 genres easily which is fun

we also have to open the new master genre URBAN/JOINTZ which'll mean trawling thru the tracks and artists dumping any hiphop etc to the new genre.. but i'd like to see those genres get their own section and see more music makers onboard in those genres.

oh well thats the progress report... I really like the new site for ease of browsing, it is soooo easy

i've also tweaked all the login so that no matter where you come from in the site you get taken back there after login, even for re-directs.

the new flash file uploader is also nice... shows a nice upload progress-bar so you can see how the upload is going

blah blah etc

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             06-Feb-08  @  04:02 PM   -   RE: admin - almost there

rags .aka. welder

Sounds great! Happy Birthday BTW!

(Oh, and BTW taking the user homepage section offline means that we have to backup our current pages (artwork etc) or it will come back when you've managed to find the code that crashes the server?)

Message 3/9             07-Feb-08  @  09:48 AM   -   RE: admin - almost there for a new user admin beta

milan

your birthday?

HAPPY B-DAY KILO!

Message 4/9             07-Feb-08  @  12:42 PM   -   RE: admin - almost there for a new user admin beta

k

Link?:  Link

cheers guys

-----------
(Oh, and BTW taking the user homepage section offline means that we have to backup our current pages (artwork etc) or it will come back when you've managed to find the code that crashes the server?)
-----------

nope nothing will go, the homepages will still be there saved, so will any images etc

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/9             19-Feb-08  @  10:02 PM   -   RE: admin - almost there for a new user admin beta-1

nme

Yeah man, happy b'day fella, yeah I know its late, just catching up with the threads!

Had my 40th end of Jan, bollox the first b'day ever Ive never wanted to reach!

I swear I woke up on the morning of it & my waist size had increased 2 inches, guess its time to dump the trainers for hush puppies, jeans for M&S elasticated waist slacks & chop in the 2 door coupe & buy a volvo estate!!!

......just hoping the Mrs isnt thinking about a part ex just yet!

Message 6/9             19-Feb-08  @  11:50 PM   -   RE: admin - almost there for a new user admin beta

k

nme wrote:

Yeah man, happy bday fella, yeah I know its late, just catching up with the threads!

Had my 40th end of Jan, bollox the first bday ever Ive never wanted to reach!

I swear I woke up on the morning of it & my waist size had increased 2 inches, guess its time to dump the trainers for hush puppies, jeans for M&S elasticated waist slacks & chop in the 2 door coupe & buy a volvo estate!!!

......just hoping the Mrs isnt thinking about a part ex just yet!

lol, that was me after christmas.. blobbed man serious.

been running now for 2 weeks at least every other day and eating only brown organic rice & water (yeah ok, i still ahve a couple of expresso in the day), lost tons of weight already anyways and getting up some distance

Message 7/9             18-Mar-08  @  07:25 PM   -   RE: admin - almost there for a new user admin beta-1

rags .aka. welder

so.. still coding like a maniac?

Message 8/9             19-Mar-08  @  02:11 AM   -   RE: admin - almost there for a new user admin beta

k

what for?.... only jokin, but damn it's quiet.

i needed some time off mate before another push, been doing it since last autumn non stop.

it's done and ready as far as i can see so we'll launch the core pages before end of march

Message 9/9             08-Apr-08  @  12:33 AM   -   RE: admin - almost there for a new user admin beta

k

ok, had to shut it all down to do some disk stuff, the old dt is online again with no admin - the 7161 admin to do all things music and profile will be on in a day or so

Eventualy we will copy the 7161 admin over to dt as a mirror of the 7161 admin, but that will be part of the new DT which will be switched live after the new 7161 beds in ok. A couple of the bits of the new sites are linked, admin is one.

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot