aaa admin - question - opinion please - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: admin - question - opinion please

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10             08-Feb-08  @  08:15 PM   -   admin - question - opinion please

k

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

ok.. the new site - adding mates to your list

do you prefer.. if someone requests an artist hookup (a request for you to allow them to add YOU to THEIR list), when you agree it also automaticaly adds THEM to YOUR list

or

you accept but have the option to also request that they be added to your list in return, (and then they would have to accept/deny your request)

even writing it took some thought, lol

say on myspace you get freind requests - you agree or deny - simple.. in this case, agree-ing would automaticaly add them also to your freind-list, so by accepting a freind-request you are making both users to be in each others friend-list regardless of who initiates the first request

or this is an option when accepting

oh ffs

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/10             08-Feb-08  @  08:19 PM   -   RE: admin - question - opinion please

k

i'm more inclined to go with automatic - so both users appear in each others mates-list regardless of who initiates the request... as long as the receiver accepts, then both people are linked and in each others list

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/10             09-Feb-08  @  08:39 AM     Edit: 09-Feb-08  |  05:39 PM   -   RE: admin - question - opinion please

rags .aka. welder

Link?: Link

Alternative A

if someone requests an artist hookup (a request for you to allow them to add YOU to THEIR list), when you agree it also automaticaly adds THEM to YOUR list

pro:
- easier to use than alt.B (well-known procedure, no need to describe)
- no additional steps needed
- symmetrical social network (better chance fo find people via others)

con:
- less flexibility in controlling own hookup list

Alternative B

you accept but have the option to also request that they be added to your list in return, (and then they would have to accept/deny your request)

pro:
- gives more control on own hookup list

con:
- at least two more steps needed to complete procedure (separate decision for own list + acknowledge from hookup initiator)
- results in an assymetrical social network (makes it harder to find people via other people)
- people will allow the hookup initiator to be added to own list anyway (this is what they are used to)
- ppl will mis-understood the system

---------
Also, having an assymetrical contact network (alt "B") doesn't seem to be very fair to me, and the whole point in social networks is that you publish your contacts, so somewhat define yourself by who you know.

Recommended: Alternative A

Message 4/10             09-Feb-08  @  04:48 PM   -   RE: admin - question - opinion please

Musineer Productions

Ha ha. What's the coding like if it's this difficult to express grammatically?

I've read and re-read and read again Rags' post and to me it's very clear if you swap the alternatives. Alt A seems to belong to the description of Alt B, and vice versa.

MySpace seem to get around the who likes who issue with their 'Top Friends' thing. I like this idea of separating those who like my sound and those whose sounds I like. When I find some music I like, it's often worthwhile listening to music that the creator of the music that I liked likes. ?!? yes.

Btw, I had my Society of Self MySpace account 'phished' yesterday (it's an account I haven't really started using yet!). I had to change passwords to reactivate. Looking into the Settings on the account, there are all sorts of options as to how communication with others takes place. Tailoring security -- by limiting messages to accepted friends, banning musos/writers/etc, approving comments prior to publication, banning all comments/messages -- to the needs of a page/site is also a good idea I think.

Personally, I use DT for tech advice and to hear odd music, and, I suppose, for some level of interaction via the forum. I like it that everyone has access to everything. Why do I need 'friends' or a 'clique' here? If I have a problem then I want as many readers as possible to read about it. We all grew up with bits of kit we got to know better than most, so in order to utilise that knowledge base the best we need the widest audience.

Message 5/10             09-Feb-08  @  05:50 PM   -   RE: admin - question - opinion please

rags .aka. welder

Alt A seems to belong to the description of Alt B, and vice versa.

LOL! At least someone has noticed, stupid mistake, corrected :-)

Seriously, I dont know if this social-network-thingy will bring any good to DT. People who like my stuff can subscribe to the RSS, that's way more useful than browsing through hookers, erm.. 'hookups'all day long

The point here is music. So the most informative thing about an artist is not who he/she knows, but who's music he/she likes... A good way to encourage people to comment others music would be to have a link from the comment to the artist page of the writer of the comment. Ok, I might be offtopic here.

Message 6/10             09-Feb-08  @  10:01 PM   -   RE: admin - question - opinion please

k

Musineer Productions wrote:

Ha ha. Whats the coding like if its this difficult to express grammatically?

Ive read and re-read and read again Rags post and to me its very clear if you swap the alternatives. Alt A seems to belong to the description of Alt B, and vice versa.

MySpace seem to get around the who likes who issue with their Top Friends thing. I like this idea of separating those who like my sound and those whose sounds I like. When I find some music I like, its often worthwhile listening to music that the creator of the music that I liked likes. ?!? yes.

Btw, I had my Society of Self MySpace account phished yesterday (its an account I havent really started using yet!). I had to change passwords to reactivate. Looking into the Settings on the account, there are all sorts of options as to how communication with others takes place. Tailoring security -- by limiting messages to accepted friends, banning musos/writers/etc, approving comments prior to publication, banning all comments/messages -- to the needs of a page/site is also a good idea I think.

Personally, I use DT for tech advice and to hear odd music, and, I suppose, for some level of interaction via the forum. I like it that everyone has access to everything. Why do I need friends or a clique here? If I have a problem then I want as many readers as possible to read about it. We all grew up with bits of kit we got to know better than most, so in order to utilise that knowledge base the best we need the widest audience.

well it's more so tat i can add people to my page who make good music.. a way to spread music connections more than anything, rather than myspace's more general 'freinds' approach - security should be ok, i cant think of how anyone could phish anything of value cos profiles dont treally contain anything of value, lol, to a phisher anyways.

Message 7/10             09-Feb-08  @  10:05 PM   -   RE: admin - question - opinion please

k

rags .aka. welder wrote:

Alt A seems to belong to the description of Alt B, and vice versa.

LOL! At least someone has noticed, stupid mistake, corrected :-)

Seriously, I dont know if this social-network-thingy will bring any good to DT. People who like my stuff can subscribe to the RSS, thats way more useful than browsing through hookers, erm.. hookupsall day long

The point here is music. So the most informative thing about an artist is not who he/she knows, but whos music he/she likes... A good way to encourage people to comment others music would be to have a link from the comment to the artist page of the writer of the comment. Ok, I might be offtopic here.

that already happens, all comments are linked to the commenters profile page if they signup and login to leave comments

anyways i'm quite excited simply if for no other reason that at least it looks reasonable now... simple & streamlined.

btw, all this netowkring stuff is for 7161, DT is redone really to present the contents faster and easier and more obviously and usefuly... all this 'freinds' admin stuff I'm talking about is for 7161.

we might not even have a DT admin for music and simply direct people to 7161 for the music admin - mebbe?

anyways, dt is being redone so it is ready for more content and so it best is able to deliver that content. I just cant wait till it's done and I can get back to doing noob music-tech tutorial videos, that's what dt is going to be about once this endless re-code is done. what it should be, regular new content

Message 8/10             10-Feb-08  @  10:09 AM   -   RE: admin - question - opinion please

rags .aka. welder

"we might not even have a DT admin for music and simply direct people to 7161 for the music admin - mebbe?"

Sure, less interfaces for the same thing, -> easier maintenance. The only reason I have used the DT admin for music was... the white background

Message 9/10             10-Feb-08  @  12:11 PM   -   RE: admin - question - opinion please

k

ah well with the new site you get a choice of 2 skins - white and grey/black

Message 10/10             11-Feb-08  @  02:23 PM   -   RE: admin - question - opinion please

capthook

I believe that the "automatic" myspace way (Mytech in this case) is the best bet. I always figured it was assumed that the person requesting (requester) would be added to the requestee's list also. I may or may not have made that word up. Actually, I did, it isn't in Webster's dictionary, but REQUESTER is! It's like an antecedent without the consequent!?!?!?! C'mon Webster's, get with the proverbial program!

Capthook

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot