aaa gapless playback - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

23-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: gapless playback

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             23-Apr-08  @  07:19 AM   -   gapless playback

rags .aka. welder

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Ok, I'm putting together some sort of "album" from my older (and some newer) tracks lying around, and so far everything has been edited together into a 50-something minute wav file.

Also, what I wanted to achieve is that the whole thing is not just Track1 - pause - Track2 - pause etc, but the tracks crossfade into each other, with some atmospheric additions where needed, so the whole thing is more-or-less a continous 50 minute piece of audio. I have also inserted markers for track beginnings, so if I render it into an ISO and burn it to CD then I can skip through tracks with the CD-player, but still I can listen to the whole audio file uninterrupted.

Now the tricky part. Obviously, even if this thing can be burnt onto a CD I mostly want this to share with people online, but if I slice the whole wav into tracks and encode them separately into mp3 then there is no way I can play back the whole thing without those short gaps between tracks, not even with enabling "gapless encoding" in WinLAME, not even with playing back with winamp... it just won't happen.

I have seen people making single huge mp3 or FLAC files and adding a .CUE file, now that is a valid option...

Any ideas how to solve this in a better way...?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             25-Apr-08  @  04:55 PM   -   RE: gapless playback

admin

Link?:  No link

tbh mate it looks like flash might be your only sensible solution, present the mix in a dedicated flash player, bit of a palava tho isnt it. I dont know of any cue system for audio myself once it gets off a physical CD disk.

"In other countries, art and literature are left to a lot of shabby bums living in attics and feeding on booze and spaghetti, but in America the successful writer or picture-painter is indistinguishable from any other decent business man!" - Babbit

Message 3/8             25-Apr-08  @  10:37 PM   -   RE: gapless playback

milan

i dont understand... why cant you achieve gapless playback in winamp? i dont normaly have that problem. are you sure its not your encoder or winamp itself after all?

Message 4/8             26-Apr-08  @  08:54 AM   -   RE: gapless playback

rags .aka. welder

It could be my winamp... do you set any specific output driver, or is there a setting that must be enabled?

I do all my encodes in WinLame where I tick "Gapless Encoding", maybe that is not enough? I'll play with it a little more then..

Message 5/8             26-Apr-08  @  09:09 AM   -   RE: gapless playback

milan

File?:  [image]

[image file]

did you disable fades in the output preferences?

Message 6/8             26-Apr-08  @  08:34 PM   -   RE: gapless playback

rags .aka. welder

Well, mine looks exactly like the screenshot... and dammit now it works!

Dunno how, but it just works now. So, thanks for the help, even though I don't know how you fixed it

Message 7/8             27-Apr-08  @  01:18 PM   -   RE: gapless playback

k

does that only work in winamp? or all players will utilise it once encoded?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 8/8             27-Apr-08  @  07:02 PM   -   RE: gapless playback

rags .aka. welder

This is a special tag inserted by the LAME encoder, there are some standalone mp3 decoders that support it, Winamp has native support from 3.xx.

see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gapless_playback

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)