aaa Which DAW Laptop Purchase? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

25-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Which DAW Laptop Purchase?

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             09-May-08  @  02:48 AM   -   Which DAW Laptop Purchase?

nme

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

.......So Im off to work overseas guys and therefore Im looking to purchase a DAW lap top to take with me.

Ive seen numerous makes and models on the internet all claiming to be the ultimate device, but marketing BS aside I thought I'd reach out to you guys who tend to be at the 'coal face' for some practical advice.

I want the laptop/notebook for music production. not concerned about gaming etc.. I'll be using Reason 3 at the moment with version 4 to be installed at a later date & also Cubase SX3.

In terms of hardware currently I have an edirol UA 25 soundcard & Korg MicroKontrol i want to hook up & later on would like to add other hardware as I expand my knowledge & capability.

Ideally id like to purchase from a UK stockist so that I can visit the supplier & see a demo of the chosen device.

Budget isnt too restrictive, most expensive Ive seen is around $3K so approx £1500 stirling.

Researching what is available currently, the following is what I have shortlisted,

1 - DAWBOX Phantom QUAD Phantom Quad

Says it is the most powerful laptop on earth, hmmmm yeah maybe but how reliable is it, etc, etc.....

Cant find much info on it regarding independent reports as to how good or how bad it actually might actually be?

Its advertising 3 internal Sata Hard Drives for samples, record playback & OS aswell as Quad core where as the other 2 below are only dual core.

2 - Alien Area 51 m15x

Really like the look of this laptop in terms of the design & customisable lighting features it offers, however I have to remind myself that Im more concerned with the audio quality & funtionality Im concerned with rather than the gimmicks!

Research on this one seems to be questionable. Those that have purchased an Alien laptop either love it or hate it depending on whether they got a good or bad one. It would appear that its a bit of a lottery as to whether the one you recieve will either be totally reliable or on the other hand a total nightmare from day 1.

Also Alien was recently purchased by Dell & from what Ive read the support they offer is almost none existent & not a road you want to go down if it can be avoided.

3 - PC Audiolabs 91X PC Audiolabs 91X

Again, not much research info available on this one but from what I can gather PC Audiolabs seem to have a respected name in the industry.

All of the above are available as standard or customisable so Im happy to listen to suggestions as to what you think would be the right components to add on if necessary.

Any advice regarding the above or any other makes or models would be appreciated so that I purchase a device that is value for money & will serve me well.

Im going to be in Russia so reliability & performance is clearly important as ongoing service issues would be a huge problem if I were to purchase a 'dog' of a lap top!

Thanks guys

Your words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers nme

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             09-May-08  @  08:52 PM   -   RE: Which DAW Laptop Purchase?

k

Im going to be in Russia so reliability & performance is clearly important as ongoing service issues would be a huge problem if I were to purchase a 'dog' of a lap top!

so mebbe a macbook pro? i'd have thought they had service centers in russia

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/5             11-May-08  @  10:32 PM   -   RE: Which DAW Laptop Purchase?

rags .aka. welder

Yeah, something more "generic" maybe? Like a HP or an IBM... even an ASUS or an MSI or a (gulp)... macbook pro as k has just said...

If the above mentioned companies has proper support in Russia then fine, but if not then better stick to some more "mainstream" brands. Not so sure if there are any benefits to these models marketed towards audio use anyway, I've been running all my stuff on HP mobile workstations (work PC) without a hitch.

Message 4/5             18-May-08  @  11:54 PM   -   RE: Which DAW Laptop Purchase?

nme

Thanks guys, Ive purchased a 17" macbook pro with dual os (leopard & XP) installed.

Mrs is doing her pieces, we're flying off to Barbados early tomorrow morning so we thought it would be a good idea to book into a hotel there for the convenience & shes had to do my packing while Im downloading all the software I need on my mac to take with!!!

Wimmin eh, they just dont get it!!!

Message 5/5             20-May-08  @  10:39 AM   -   RE: Which DAW Laptop Purchase?

k

pickup something like an iomega Minimax (99 quid) 500gb drive for your leopard time-machine
backups... mebbe 2 of them, one for backup, one for audio/songs

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)