aaa What happened to DanceTech....??? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

20-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: What happened to DanceTech....???

Viewing all 48 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5

Original Message 1/48             10-Aug-08  @  12:00 PM   -   What happened to DanceTech....???

sox

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Hey K...seems a bit dead in here lately...

U given up on the DanceTech brand?? (the world's number 1 resource for music technologists...since 1993)...

sox

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/48             10-Aug-08  @  01:10 PM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

admin

Link?:  No link

Hi Sox, no, it's due very soon. all the code is pretty much finished apart from anything new we decide to add, so we're just stripping it down now to make it as light as possible CSS pages like 7161 is now. I got offered a free 5 day break in cornwall this last week so took a week off, (amazing place cornwall, really stunning scenery and such a clean cold sea!) back now, will start the final release push tomorrow. Then we can start adding new content again. The only worry of course is that the break was so long the forums will never get busy again. I'm not sure how we can get the regular community to build again if at all.

"In other countries, art and literature are left to a lot of shabby bums living in attics and feeding on booze and spaghetti, but in America the successful writer or picture-painter is indistinguishable from any other decent business man!" - Babbit

Message 3/48             14-Aug-08  @  10:42 PM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

sox

'm not sure how we can get the regular community to build again if at all.

Build it....

And they shall come!!

sox

Message 4/48             22-Aug-08  @  06:52 PM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

Bedwyr

Link?:  Link

it is quiet round here

i've stupidly gone and got a job for a year. doing coldfusion development. so if you need any hands on deck k ...

Message 5/48             24-Aug-08  @  08:12 PM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

k

damn, when this is all done i never want to see cfstudio again!!

how's it going anyways in not-sunny wales then dude?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/48             26-Aug-08  @  06:17 PM     Edit: 26-Aug-08  |  06:18 PM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

nutoniom

File?:  [image]

[image file]

I, for one , have been busy building stuff. Haven't recorded anything in ages, shame shame shame. Hope you guys are doing fine

Message 7/48             26-Aug-08  @  10:28 PM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

k

kewl, you built that? is it a distortion overdrive unit?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 8/48             26-Aug-08  @  10:45 PM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

nutoniom

yup, it's a clone of a marshall bluesbreaker

I will be trying my hand at some Thomas Henry design this winter

Thomas Henry stuff

so, all this sleeking of the designg kind of wiped out our previous settings I reckon ?

Message 9/48             27-Aug-08  @  11:58 AM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

k

so, all this sleeking of the designg kind of wiped out our previous settings I reckon ?

Howdya mean?

Message 10/48             27-Aug-08  @  05:35 PM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

nutoniom

In terms of appearence I mean. I had a backgroung image and stuff. No big deal really.

Message 11/48             28-Aug-08  @  01:37 PM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

k

oh that, well, honestly i tried it with the settings for each user, and because there are a few variations of template out there (old and new) it was too fiddly to get a consistant look - so I decided to wait until the new homepage code is done and fixed, and then we can look at it

main priority is to get the sites both live asap and then get some new content going again, then attend to all those tweaks.

Message 12/48             28-Aug-08  @  01:50 PM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

nutoniom

Hey again , no problem, sorry if it came out as a grievance, it was mwerely a constatation.

New content eh?. I guess I should try and record something new then  

Message 13/48             28-Aug-08  @  03:21 PM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

nutoniom

One thing I noticed K, when on a track page there is no mention of the artist name or a link to it's page.

yes, good ole annoying me again  

Message 14/48             03-Sep-08  @  05:10 PM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

k

look the right-side menu

Message 15/48             05-Sep-08  @  07:22 PM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

Malcolm Jeffery

Damn Its taken so long i thought this was it, good to hear its coming back, coz ive been here since
96-97 i think, u know when phil mcdonald was a guest speaker for novation, remember that
"when is os 4.1 coming" blah blah.we need our special buttons to work ect. lol
Just Hurry up Mate lol

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S.Thompson -

Message 16/48             11-Sep-08  @  07:50 PM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

k

come on and bug test please - it's up and running

Message 17/48             12-Sep-08  @  04:58 AM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

pyramid

HI!ITRIED TO DOWNLOAD THE FZ-1 MANUAL BUT THE LINK IS BAD..IT GOES TO A DRUM MACHINE!
I'M NOT SURE HOW TO CONTACT ANYONE IN"STAFF" TO FIND/FIXX IT

HELP !!!

Message 18/48             12-Sep-08  @  04:59 PM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

admin

try it now mate

Message 19/48             12-Sep-08  @  05:07 PM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

admin

try it now

"In other countries, art and literature are left to a lot of shabby bums living in attics and feeding on booze and spaghetti, but in America the successful writer or picture-painter is indistinguishable from any other decent business man!" - Babbit

Message 20/48             10-Oct-08  @  01:08 AM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

leontaiedzwa

It is really quiet in here...ECHO..Echo...echo

Message 21/48             10-Oct-08  @  04:02 PM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

k

yeah, but remember we offer so much more than a forum, and other parts of the two sites are doing stuff all the time

or we could talk about what's the best soundcard to buy

then when we've all finished answering, the poster can come back and reveal that they actualy meant a firewire or usb audio interface... not a soundcard

or they could not come back and the question could be purely rhetorical

thing about these sites is like say the guitar pickup page gets over a million hits, all unique, per year... the pa main page gets more .... thats just 2 pages out of about 6000 pages on the site.

p'raps we should farm out those 2 pages for some advertising to guitar product and pa product makers.. i dunno.

Message 22/48             19-Oct-08  @  01:54 PM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

admin

Latest update. We're moving to a much better faster server this weekend

Things should be fairly seamless but please excuse any downtime or whatever.

Message 23/48             19-Oct-08  @  06:01 PM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

Bedwyr

Message 24/48             21-Oct-08  @  12:21 AM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

k

hmm, doesnt seem to have happened yet

Message 25/48             13-Jul-09  @  10:52 AM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

Bastiaan

Malcolm Jeffery wrote:

Damn Its taken so long i thought this was it, good
to hear its coming back, coz ive been here since
96-97 i think, u know when phil mcdonald
was a guest speaker for novation, remember that
when is os 4.1 coming blah blah.we need our
special buttons to work ect. lol
Just Hurry up Mate lol

Haha....I remember that as well. Or the endless JP8000 vs An1x vs Nord debates...or the Smapler
questions, SBlive Fan, the secret slaggit room...how's everyone? Xoxos? Bedwyr? K? Maarten?

Message 26/48             13-Jul-09  @  11:47 AM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

k

the classic for me was 'silverdroid' in the tb303 forum, lol, that was hilarious.

Message 27/48             15-Jul-09  @  11:28 PM     Edit: 15-Jul-09  |  11:30 PM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

sitar

"or we could talk about what's the best soundcard to buy

then when we've all finished answering, the poster can come back and reveal that they actualy
meant a firewire or usb audio interface... not a soundcard

or they could not come back and the question could be purely rhetorical"

yeah but Steve Roughley also made some good posts.

Message 28/48             16-Jul-09  @  12:30 PM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

Bastiaan

Besides all the stuff about synths, smaplers and soundbalsters this place was also the (only) forum I used to visit on pretty much any other topic...it's automatically type 'da...' right after starting up navigator.

Remember when it was the millenium...or the first Bush election....heck I even used this place to talk about 9/11 before I visited any other place.

Wassup Sitar?

Message 29/48             16-Jul-09  @  03:21 PM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

sitar

Hey Bastiaan!

I think I remember the millenium here. It was shortly after I discovered DT I think. The first Bush
election...my how the world has changed since that fateful day. DT was always a lot of fun and if you
needed answers you could get them.

Message 30/48             16-Jul-09  @  05:06 PM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

k

well we have a new conspiracy new!! Vaccination of the global popualtion

hmmmm

Message 31/48             28-Aug-09  @  11:41 AM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

Malcolm Jeffery

Lets have a reunion night online,

Sitar, Influx, Damballah,Kilo,Xoxos,Bedwry and all the others.
that dude that had to do national service in switzaland or somewhere is he OK?
I could do a name that Sawtooth wave ie guess from which synth lol
or whos 50/50 square is most Hollow, What notes to use for Music thread.
Whatever happend to the sine wave,cheaky traingle makes a comeback.

Malk

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S.Thompson -

Message 32/48             08-Sep-09  @  06:37 AM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

damballah

howdy malk

Message 33/48             08-Sep-09  @  04:36 PM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

k

swoooooon!

omg damballah! heh heh - how the hell are you man?

Message 34/48             11-Sep-09  @  05:46 AM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

damballah

hey k! i'm good. you believe we're not that far from turning over another decade? seems not that long ago there was that millenium thing. my kid's off at college. i'm still doing live sound and recording for that reggae band I've been with since the late 80s -- we've got around 10 tracks almost ready to release (more or less depending on versions and dubs and such). fill in as a substitute live tech for one of the concert clubs in town several times a month -- i'll be doing the michelle shocked show tomorrow night, ha!. been fooling around with building tube guitar amps. not really writing or playing anything of my own at the moment but keeping busy enough anyway.

how's things on that side o' the pond?

Message 35/48             11-Sep-09  @  01:45 PM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

k

yeah sounds good man, getting some pro acts to work with!, please let us know when the reggae band cuts are ready for listening How old's the kid man? and studying what? didnt recall u had one. mine finished uni last year - to my horror he choose music technology (groan) and of course cant get a job now cos there arent any.

here it's been just about getting back on feet, after living with a mentally ill alchoholic neighbour from 2001 thru to 2007

Finaly he was carted away at the end of 2007 leaving me with a serious drink problem, so have spent last 2 years first quitting the booze & then recovering and rebuilding since.

wrote the 2 new sites, totaly recoded from scratch, all css based, so that was a big one - we got a fast new quad opteron server (yay! cheers zazza!), also I got a new HD mac pro video setup etc to attack youtube with... trying to rebuild with better quality content - it's a slow slog but getting back on track. Youtube subscriptions & site subscriptions are strong and regular, so traffic is creeping back up.

However, as there's no community here anymore, traffic is 90+% new 1st time visitors, but considering we have no community of regular traffic to boost hits like many other sites, the rates are ok

just gotta get the new homepage admin finished and re-opened. After that i dunno; so many new music-tech forums have sprung up since 2002, and major communities have now established themselves elsewhere so it's doubtful that we can ever get that community back, especialy with no money.

I'm also playing in a thrashy rock band for recreation, so mucho guitar playing

hey tho, it must be quite a buzzy vibe over there with Obama now eh? (although much less material for comedy satirists lol)

Message 36/48             12-Sep-09  @  06:04 PM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

nutoniom

damballah wrote: been fooling around with building tube guitar amps.

Tell us more about it.

I have all the parts to build a firefly 1 watt head, but i'm still shying away from the High Voltage stuff. I'm a lot more comfy around 9 volts  

Sorry to hear about it K, i remember you posting recordings of the madman, didn't think it lasted that long

Message 37/48             13-Sep-09  @  08:22 AM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

damballah

nutoniom wrote: but im still shying away from the High Voltage stuff. Im a lot more comfy around 9 volts

yeah, you gotta be careful with toobs, valves, whatever you wanna call 'em: discharge the big electrolytics before stickin yer paws in there, keep your left hand in your pocket when probing voltage with the DMM, no barefoot on a concrete floor, don't fuck with it (can we still say fuck here?) when tired, drinking or otherwise altered. on the other hand, point-to-point wiring on a turret board has simplicity and clarity, much easier to trace and debug than PCB circuits.

I got started doing some re-capping and some mods (champs, valve jrs), learning to read a schematic and translate that to a layout, changing one VJR from PCB to turretboard. now I got some chassis bent and parts on order for a couple things I've drawn up layouts for... 5E3, 18w Marshall, something based off the AC-15 EF86 channel... mostly recording/small club wattage things. You start getting into 50+ watt stuff, the transformers and tubes start costing a lot. the iron to put together something based on fliptop style ampegs is over 500 bucks. I'll smack up some pics when I get around to shootin some.

k wrote: please let us know when the reggae band cuts are ready for listening

OK. we're still figuring out our release scheme. here's allmusic's review of the last 2.

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:fpfqxqygld0e

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:hpftxqqkldde

speak no evil, the last, was released in '99. they don't know the meaning of hurry.

How old's the kid man? and studying what?

He's gonna be 21, a junior and doing a dual major, English and political science. He caught the poli-sci bug working as a volunteer on the Obama campaign. His room looks like a music shop though -- he's got 4 guitars, a roland rompler and a couple amps and playing indie rock-like stuff with his friends.

Message 38/48             15-Sep-09  @  12:50 AM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

k

nice... political science should be school compulsary imo

hey whats doing the drums on those tracks D?

Message 39/48             18-Sep-09  @  04:04 AM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

damballah

heh. drums actually.

dale was the drummer on power struggle. he played a simmons kit. it was the 80s. the lead guitarist jon taylor who is now half of ryukyu underground (they're pretty cool, check them out here ) had a Korg smapler, a DSS1 I believe, and there was some percussion and effects from that as well as some hand perc. it was tracked to 16-track analog at the studio of the keyboard player from the minor 70s prog-rock band Pavlov's Dog. Produced by Mervyn Williams, who was doing live sound at the time for Burning Spear -- we met him when we opened for spear.

dale quit. kevin played an acoustic kit with a roland octopad on speak no evil. it was tracked in two phases. mid-90s I started recording stuff to ADATS. we started recording what were supposed to be demos at the rehearsal space, miked like live and sent to a pair of stereo tracks, with the idea we'd go back to the big analog studio for the real thing. the stuff was sounding decent enough so we proceeded to overdub it into a full-blown production. we got a guy named Barnabus who drummed for the Gladiators and others and was a student of Sly Dunbar to mix. He took the stereo drums, multed them, and through gating and eq, extracted kick, snare, hats and toms. When we tracked the second batch of songs for that release, I recorded all that stuff to separate tracks. That worked out better.

Message 40/48             25-Sep-09  @  12:07 PM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

Malcolm Jeffery

Hello Damballah, and Kilo, you put up with crazy guy for 6 years, god, how about you up all the recordings of him and hold a remix contest using crazy dude samples, winner gets a kitkat chunky caramel bar, whoooo. or a jack plug!

Malk

Message 41/48             25-Sep-09  @  12:39 PM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

k

crazy guy?

Message 42/48             25-Sep-09  @  01:18 PM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

damballah

which one?

Message 43/48             30-Sep-09  @  03:09 PM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

Malcolm Jeffery

Yeah the one who used to shout outside your flat, u mention him earlier in the thread,u recorded him, that one....

Message 44/48             30-Sep-09  @  10:51 PM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

k

heh oh him. yeah trouble is i can almost 100% guarantee that i'd get sued by social services for breaching his human rights... by recording him without his permission or some such bollocks.

doh!

Message 45/48             30-Sep-09  @  10:58 PM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

Bedwyr

Link?:  Link

it was you wasn't it

Message 46/48             30-Sep-09  @  11:15 PM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

k

no! but i could do an awesome impression of him after that many years of reference material to work with

Message 47/48             02-Oct-09  @  12:32 PM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

Malcolm Jeffery

Lol only if you send them copies of the tracks,
Bonkers Bongo Man by Damballah,
Tangent runner by Xoxos,
Stove your head when i catch you by Kilo. haha

Message 48/48             20-Oct-09  @  11:45 PM   -   RE: What happened to DanceTech....???

bobby.demers1

"heh oh him. yeah trouble is i can almost 100% guarantee that i'd get sued by social services for breaching his human rights... by recording him without his permission or some such bollocks."

How the f*ck they gonna know who it is..lol
Not like he's a mentally ill celebrity with a drink problem is it...

Or a radio announcer....

I think you should build some tracks up just for a laugh....

sox

Viewing all 48 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5

There are 48 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)