aaa Bass Drum & Bassline Tuning Advice? - Music tracks & feedback forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

20-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music tracks & feedback

Subject: Bass Drum & Bassline Tuning Advice?

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             13-Oct-08  @  12:16 AM     Edit: 16-Oct-08  |  06:17 PM   -   Bass Drum & Bassline Tuning Advice?

nme

Link?: Link

File?:  File

Bass_Drum_And_Bassline_Tuning_Advice.mp3

Hi guys, Im trying to tighten up various aspects of my tracks, one of which is the area of tuning.

If you could take a listen to the 4 bar loop Ive added as per attachment & let me know your opinion as to whether you think that the bassline & bass drum are tuned & in harmony I'd be grateful. I have included 1 bar of each on there own in case that helps in your analysis.

Thanks fellas

K - I tried attaching an mp3 file but it wudnt let me, so Ive created aseperate post in the Site bugs & feedback forum detailing the error just so that you are aware.

The mp3 file was less than 1mb for your info.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             13-Oct-08  @  12:39 AM   -   RE: Bass Drum & Bassline Tuning Advice?

Jock

File?:  No file

The BD sounds too high in pitch, needs to come down.

But you'll be caught up in an eternal battle if your gonna try and tune your BD to your bass line. Just add more instruments and see what happens. Chances are the pitch of the BD may get lost in the mix anyway.

May as well make your BD's sharp, thuddy and percussive, and stay away from long flabby BD's coz they always conflict with bass lines. I always have the overwhelming temptation to add some cool sub-bass hip hop style BD's on the off beat. But they fuck up my tracks royally.

Even tuning BD samples on the sampler, you could be there forever trying to find the right pitch, even when just tuning a kit before you've even got to the music. Just be quick, spontaneous, and do it. If it sounds shit you can always change it later. The most important bit is getting your idea down first, getting it rolling... before its lost. You can dick around with the finer points later.

Message 3/8             13-Oct-08  @  01:04 AM   -   RE: Bass Drum & Bassline Tuning Advice?

nme

Thanks Jock, ill have another listen to it.

I should have said, I have the whole track completed & Im at the mix down stage where Im trying to improve the overall harmonies of all the different instruments to get a much improved sound from it all (& yes your right, I have been dicking around with it forever lol) Im finding out its a minefield!!!!

Ive not paid much attention to the tuning aspect in the past & normally do tend to just chuck it all in the pot & not worrying too much about it, but id like to try & learn this aspect of production & get the harmonies more in sync going forward.

Having read various tutorials there recommending tuning the bass drum, snare & bass line as the pre requisites & then building melodies etc... around them!

Is that advice right or what other alternatives are there as a good starting point to building a track?

Cheers

Message 4/8             15-Oct-08  @  10:49 AM   -   RE: Bass Drum & Bassline Tuning Advice?

Jock Munro

I think I must of been drunk because I cant remember posting that last comment ! Dooh !

But yeah, I suppose thats right, after all the drums are the backbone of the track. As long as the BD doesnt carry too much pitch or else it can conflict with the bass line, and thats when it all becomes messy.

Which is why I tend to stick to tight thuddy BD's coz its easier.

Although another reason I work with tight thuddy BDs is because I usually build around an existing drumloop, which often has its own pitch defined. Then when I've layered my drum programming ontop I'll apply some sort of lo-fi grungy filter to the original loop, to drop it out of the mix so it becomes more of a percussive effect.

Its a good way to get quick inspiration for a groove, and to use as a guide for getting your drums programmed. You can always remove the loop later if needs be.

Message 5/8             15-Oct-08  @  12:47 PM   -   RE: Bass Drum & Bassline Tuning Advice?

k

yeah the kik is pitched higher than the bass, but, i'm not that keen on the kick period... it's a little light & sort of 'unprocessed' & clicky i think

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/8             16-Oct-08  @  08:07 PM   -   RE: Bass Drum & Bassline Tuning Advice?

rags .aka. welder

File?:  File

example.w.mp3

Hmm, I might be approaching this from the wrong end, but I would rather use a kick like this, a pretty generic sample with a high cut around 20-30 Hz and some boost around 60-80 Hz.

Also, I would put a compressor with very "gentle" settings on the mixed bass and kick, in this example the first 8 seconds has no compression, while the second 8 has...

Anyway, this might not be what you're after...

I have never tried to tune the kick to the bass, I usually try to find a kick that fits best, if it doesn't sound right I try to EQ it and if still no luck I throw it away and get an another one.

Message 7/8             30-Oct-08  @  04:27 PM   -   RE: Bass Drum & Bassline Tuning Advice?

nme

Thanks guys for your useful feedback, back to the drawing board for me I guess (ahem......I wouldnt want to start an argument!!)

Message 8/8             31-Oct-08  @  05:40 AM   -   RE: Bass Drum & Bassline Tuning Advice?

Musineer Productions

I think I agree with above comments. It lacks oomph. Possibly because it's too high pitched. It's hard to tell without a reference scale though. Sometimes a kick can sound wrong until you add the base line and some mid range, then it falls into place -- it can go the other way too

Juggly riff though. Post the finished piece!

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)