aaa 6kbps at 8khz WMA's on a mac - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

25-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: 6kbps at 8khz WMA's on a mac

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10             17-Feb-09  @  01:42 PM   -   6kbps at 8khz WMA's on a mac

Musineer Productions

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Hello,

Does anyone know how to play WMA files on a Mac that are recorded at 6kbps, 8khz?

I can convert them to Wavs using Goldwave on a pc, then use Wavelab to convert them to Aiffs (and an old Goldwave on an old Mac running Virtual pc, which can save them directly to an Aiff that a modern Mac can play), but it's a time-consuming chore. Wavelab cannot open them on a pc, but Windows Media Player can play them and the Express Scribe software can also play them on a pc.

They've been recorded on a Sanyo ICR-85000 -- it's one of those dictation jobbies.

Is there a place I can download a batch of codecs for Macs running Leopard?

Any help appreciated.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/10             18-Feb-09  @  11:31 AM   -   RE: 6kbps at 8khz WMA's on a mac

k

i remember once having to convert hundreds of drum loops all of which were various weird low bitrates and samplerates - wavelab couldnt do it, but soundforge could - and it did batch as far as i remember

try soundforge mate

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/10             18-Feb-09  @  06:02 PM   -   RE: 6kbps at 8khz WMA's on a mac

Musineer Productions

Thanks for the tip, but Sound Forge appears to be just for windows. I want to be able to play them on a Mac.

Message 4/10             18-Feb-09  @  08:05 PM   -   RE: 6kbps at 8khz WMA's on a mac

k

cant you do it on windows then dump them over to t'mac?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/10             19-Feb-09  @  04:41 PM   -   RE: 6kbps at 8khz WMA's on a mac

Musineer Productions

Yes, that's how I get round it now, but it's a time-consuming chore and I get a lot of these files.

There must be a way round it. Something about lossless and WMA not being compatible with something on the Mac. All a bit confusing t me. I've got several folks about the globe trying to open a 5sec file. I'll report back if I have any joy.

Message 6/10             19-Feb-09  @  08:43 PM   -   RE: 6kbps at 8khz WMA's on a mac

k

funnily enuff i just had a guy round with some dictaphone wav audio he couldnt open... the mac refused it (Soundtrack Pro, final cut), but wavelab opened it no probs and di the job... i think they were 4bit 8k or 11k wavs

isnt your mac networked to the pc for easy dumping across?

wma files are a bastard tho. but i'm sure, wait a minute....... did you try:

http://www.nch.com.au/switch/

you need to go there with a mac to get the mac download, if you go to the site with windows it offers the win download instead.

it claims to convert wma etc

Message 7/10             20-Feb-09  @  12:57 AM   -   RE: 6kbps at 8khz WMA's on a mac

Musineer Productions

Yes, I know that one, good company, they make Express Scribe. They can't convert lossless 6kbps 8kHz wma files though.

Message 8/10             20-Feb-09  @  10:42 AM   -   RE: 6kbps at 8khz WMA's on a mac

k

damn!

Message 9/10             28-Feb-09  @  12:55 AM   -   RE: 6kbps at 8khz WMA's on a mac

nme

Hey Mus, if your looking for a wma file converter this one from erightsoft is top drawer & is totally free.

It provides a comprehensive list of perameters for tweaking both audio & video files so it may have the features you are looking for too?

Ive used this for all sorts & its not let me down yet, admittedly I havnt used it for wma, but they claim that it will do em if thats any good?

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

Hope that helps

Message 10/10             28-Feb-09  @  06:08 PM   -   RE: 6kbps at 8khz WMA's on a mac

Musineer Productions

Cheers for the nod.

A quick look and, though it seems very complete, I bet it doesn't run on a mac. When I switch the Macs on again I'll give it a try and let you know.

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)