aaa Celestia… like google earth for space - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

20-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Celestia… like google earth for space

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/4             14-Mar-09  @  01:17 AM   -   Celestia...

k

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

this is un-ba-frikkin-leivably f*ckin awesome!

checkit out and download the free universe s/w - once you get it installed, go to the menu: Render/View Options, and tick everything i reckon is a good start & also set the descriptions to verbose.Then go to HELP menu and 'run demo'

whaaaat!!! lol

it's like google universe, you can even download add ons like spacecraft and follow their flights etc, even the apollo missions too - just the earth orbiting craft list is like 60 different craft including space stations. just checkout the addons, and you can do screenshots & capture movies you create of journeys - amazing stuff

http://www.shatters.net/celestia/

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/4             17-Mar-09  @  03:46 AM   -   RE: Celestia… like google earth for space

Musineer Productions

Cosmic innit? The Mars map really is a bit of sci-fi.

I've got Starry Night as well, which lets you set the night sky from wherever you are. Really useful for newbie telescope peekers. Gives all the constellations so you can learn all that stuff folk used to know.

Message 3/4             17-Mar-09  @  12:57 PM   -   RE: Celestia… like google earth for space

k

heh, oh man, me and a mate were checking out telescopes one night online, I was thinking what we'd see based on the old days.... I though yeah we'll find a cool telescope you can see some planets outlines and stuff, but I was gobsmacked, cos you can get telescopes now with gps and stuff which you can connect to your pc and they can communicate with satelites, you can set them up so they are accurately aligned and you can then use S/W and controller so it can be pointed at objects... some of the images you can capture are unbeleiveable, like spiral galaxies and stuff and many amateur astronomers are discovering new objects

i find that quite staggering. and it's made me think alot about the democratization of technology. Like how musicians now can get a pc and a few bits of gear and have a studio of amazing pro quality which would have costed hudreds of thousands with older hardware, all for under 10 grand, or how you can get a hi-def camera and an edit suite etc and make films for under 10 grand, it's quite a time we live in eh?

i wonder if this is the price we pay for that democratization of the technology - we can have those amazing systems to learn and discover and create, and the downside is things like file sharing.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/4             17-Mar-09  @  03:54 PM   -   RE: Celestia… like google earth for space

Jock

Link?:  Link

I got a massive stiffy when I did the "Sounds Of Silence" dinner at Ayers Rock, al fresco, in the outback. After dinner they turn all the lights out, and with zero light pollution you get to see the southern hemisphere sky in all its glory.

I could very clearly see the Small and Large Magellanic Cloud galaxies with the naked eye. Completely and utterly breathtaking.

Then you get an astronomer with a fuck off great laser pointer show you the constellations. She had a telescope set up and we all took turns looking at Saturn and Jupiter.

I thought it was amazing just looking through an optical telescope and being able to see the outer planets and their outlines. I was actually looking at them.

I dunno if I'd get the same buzz using a telescope that just dumped the images onto a laptop. Ok, even if they were 1000 times better. I may as well just go and look at Nasa's website. Or something like that.

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)