aaa How can I improve my commercial songs? - Music tracks & feedback forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music tracks & feedback

Subject: How can I improve my commercial songs?

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             22-Jun-09  @  02:10 PM   -   How can I improve my commercial songs?

RGS122

Link?: Link

File?:  File

Trying_Harder_3(128kbps).mp3

Hi everyone!
I'm a dance/electro producer looking to get successful in the music business.
I wanted to know if any of you can give me advice on where and how I can improve my electronic songs so I can make them successful on 7161 and iTunes.
Thankyou.
Regards,
Richard Steed
www.myspace.com/richardgarethsteed

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             24-Jun-09  @  10:44 AM   -   RE: How can I improve my commercial songs?

k

File?:  No file

Hi. Well are you writing them as commercial songs? if you want to sell commercial songs generaly for starters the vocals needs to be similar to other commercial tracks. Your's is interesting soundwise, but isnt really a commercial vocal as labels etc would define it. I can sing myself, but i wouldnt use my vocal if selling a pop song to publishers, i'd hire a female vocal probably to do a session on my track (or find a willing friend who has a great commercial vocal)

the sad fact is the biz is exactly that, a business, so like any artist, say a sculptor... a sculptor can spend their time being true to their creativity and making abstract pieces regardless if they sell or not. But of they want to make money and be 'commercial', then unless by pure chance the creative abstract pieces they make happen to sell as a happy coincidence, at some point they are going to take a decision and spend a few days a week making tableware or other more 'commercial' pieces such as vases or candlesticks etc etc to sell at local markets or to local shops etc.

That's how it is. So if you genuinely want to be more commercial it's really as simple as copying a cross section of techniques and styles and sounds and arrangements which all are established as 'commercial' sounding.

Your stuff is abstract and interesting for that in it's sound and construction, youve got some good ideas, but 'commercial' is basicaly what's on TV or what is being played at different genre clubs etc. (even underground club music has a 'commercial' sound that fits the genre and appeals to labels in that genre or it doesnt)

So, copy commercial songs in the genre you want to do basicaly... and while broadly copying commercial songs also add in your own edge to give it some character which is you on top.

People out there making money in this game arent in any way the best writers or musicians, they are usualy just the ones who deliberately set out to write commercial sellable songs/track, whether thats commercial club music which nets them a few thousand annualy, or commercial pop songs, which, if used by a label/artist which sells, will net them more money over a year if the song is a chart seller.

that's it really. it depends how willing you are to compromise you musical vision.

perhaps as an exercise just try it... try copying a chart selling pop track and see what you discover. It's quite an interesting exercise actualy to try and do. Not as easy at it sounds.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/7             24-Jun-09  @  10:54 AM   -   RE: How can I improve my commercial songs?

k

so for example - a selection of electro flavoured tunes selling in shops

http://77.68.108.107/ANNIEMIX01.mp3

http://77.68.108.107/bnr034.mp3

http://77.68.108.107/bnr033.mp3

http://77.68.108.107/pfr30.mp3

http://77.68.108.107/cns003.mp3

etc or look at beatport.com electro favoured genres for more

just copy that shit basicaly and add your edge to it

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/7             02-Jul-09  @  08:12 PM   -   RE: How can I improve my commercial songs?

RGS122

Cheers mate!Thanks for the advice!!
I'VE JUST FIGURED A WAY TO REALLY DRAMATICALLY IMPROVE MY RECORDINGS.
A few hours ago I bought some MIDI cables to connect from my audio interface from my fantom.
I managed to finally get Cubasis 4 to work with my EDIROL interface box and its all working perfectly!!
I'll try and upload my new version of 'Out to Se' tomorrow!
YOU WON'T BELIEVE THE DRAMATIC IMPROVEMENT TO MY RECORDINGS!!
What I did is instead if running all 16 tracks fro my fantom sequencer into one channel mixer on my cubase program,I used MIDI to sync each track seperately into different channel mixers!
Each track is now more crisp and clear.I've even used CUBASE to eq each track-IT SOUNDS AMAZING!!!
CHECK OUT MY MYSPACE TOMORROW!!
www.myspace.com/richardgarethsteed

Message 5/7             02-Jul-09  @  09:49 PM   -   RE: How can I improve my commercial songs?

k

i'll check that soon, but are yo aware since atari days cubase has a function which splits the data on ONE midi track onto new Midi tracks by channel?

so if you have one track with all your recorded midi tracks from a hardware sequencer, you simply use thate command and it puts the data onto new stracks by midi channel

Message 6/7             03-Jul-09  @  02:09 PM   -   RE: How can I improve my commercial songs?

RGS122

Ok then.Well I've now just uploaded my new version of 'Out to Sea' that showcases my latest productions skills using MIDI,hardware etc!!
Thanks mate!!Thanks for the advice!!!
Richard Steed

Message 7/7             03-Jul-09  @  02:16 PM   -   RE: How can I improve my commercial songs?

RGS122

I've also updated my iTunes podcast!!
I'm Registered on iTunes as my own name-Richard Steed.

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot