aaa Beginner - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Beginner

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             17-Aug-09  @  09:40 AM   -   Beginner

wilsonrocket

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

Hi guys. I hope you don't mind. I'm new and I do not know what to do first. I very much like techno (and a bit of trance and house) so I thought of creating my own stuff.

Problem is, I do not know how I could learn and what equipment I should use.

Should I get stuff from a specific manufacturer? I do not know any manufacturers aside from Korg. Please help.

Thanks guys!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             17-Aug-09  @  05:17 PM   -   RE: Beginner

k

Link?: Link

well we need to first know what gear you DO have, including any pc/mac, soundcards, speakers, etc - any gear you own

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/8             18-Aug-09  @  11:05 AM   -   RE: Beginner

wilsonrocket

I do have a pc back home but I can't tell you the specs now, I'm at the office. Also a friend got me an Ableton Software which I have installed this morning.

I previously owned a keyboard however it got broken just recently. That is why I am asking what equipment I should purchase. Well, I played with the keyboard before it broke using preloaded drum beats and synth effects however I never learned how to play chords and read music nor write music.

I have a voice recorder which I can use.

I do beat box but I am not good at it also.

I have a standard headset.

That's all I've got.

I hope you guys can help.

Message 4/8             18-Aug-09  @  10:10 PM   -   RE: Beginner

k

well with ableton, once you've learned it, all you need is some sounds - some vst-instruments (and there is plenty of good free ones and very cheap if u are skint). Then you need some monitor speakers and a new controller keyboard (if your's can't be easily and cheaply fixed)

also VERY important isd a low latency soundcard or firewire or usb 2.0 audio in/out device - this is critical because without it you cant play your software instruments etc in realtime without alot of delay between hitting the keys and hearing a sound

so you can for example choose a pci soundcard such as the m-audio audiophile 2496 - which is massively popular and reliable... and affordable at around 60 quid

or choose a budget usb audio device such as m-audio m-box mini which also comes with Pro-Tools LE free which could be useful.

what sounds/instruments you get is down to the genre really to some extent

so what are you wanting to turn out with this setup? what genre? - and what budget u have for the extras ? - and do you plan to record any audio tracks such as vocals etc? (so you also maybe need a mic and pre-amp?)

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/8             19-Aug-09  @  10:11 AM   -   RE: Beginner

wilsonrocket

Ok thanks. I might get a new midi controller.

Oh yeah, I forgot to check my pc's specs again. I'll post if later when I get home.

Genre would be trance and or techno. For extras, I think I could go for $200 dollars maximum.

Vocals, yeah. I think I might.

You really are helpful. I'm looking forward to your next reply.

Message 6/8             21-Aug-09  @  08:53 AM   -   RE: Beginner

wilsonrocket

Regarding the specs, My computer has the following specs:

Memory: 1016 MB RAM
Sound Card: SoundMAX HD Audio O
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional

And yeah. I don't have any speakers now. I am only using a headset.

Message 7/8             21-Aug-09  @  01:08 PM   -   RE: Beginner

k

well mate, first u must get a proper soundcard... if you want to PLAY anything in Ableton in realtime... if u dont and you only want to work by penciling in notes then it's not so important, although a better soundcard means also better sound quality

a classic basic ableton setup would need

1. a decent asio soundcard (m-audio delta audiophile 2496, etc)

2. reasonable speakers

3. a master keyboard controller of some type

i dunno if u fit all that into a 200 bucks budget - 200 will get you the soundcard and the controller keys, but speakers as well? not really unless u go very cheap

u can get a master keyboard fro 50-60 bucks and a soundcard or usb sound in/out device for the same or a bit more - that doesnt leave much for speakers - you can get small 3" driver-equipt speakers for 60-70 bucks, but the cheapest decent speakers i'd say are the ESI nEar05 which are like 150

none of that leaves anything for a mic - perhaps best for your budget is a combination keyboard/controller/audio-interface - such as:

behringer uma25s
Line 6 POD Studio KB37
NOVATION - XioSynth

these give u a USB keyboard/controller with a basic audio in/out included - I'm actualy reviewing the uma25s right now, it's ok, not the best audio quality, but it works - onlyt he behringer is cheap (70-80) the other 2 are both over 200

tbh, you could get the uma25s and that'd leave you about 120-130 for speakers such as the esi nEar05 - that'd all work with ableton ok - you might want to change the uma25s in future for something better, but it'll get the job done ok

Message 8/8             22-Aug-09  @  04:50 AM   -   RE: Beginner

wilsonrocket

I'll see what I can do! Thank you very much for replying to my posts. Good day!

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot