aaa mpc/jp8k/micro q midi woes - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: mpc/jp8k/micro q midi woes

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             18-Aug-09  @  03:08 AM   -   mpc/jp8k/micro q midi woes

dhex23

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

hello party people. my beloved mpc2kxl (hard to believe it's been a decade already) decided to go all kerplunk on me last year, so after a solid 12 months of using renoise - which is admittedly the best software sequencer/production solution i've ever used - i finally gave up and got my mpc fixed. joy of joys!

after selling a lot of gear i'm down to some real basics - the mpc, the jp, the microq and my modded 505. i'm having some real problems getting everyone to play together, and my otherwise awesome ikea hack (RAST tabletop + 6U rack ears = 6U rack for about 25 bucks) makes it a pain in the ass to get behind there and swap out cables.

my initial setup was:

JP midi out to MPC midi in (a) --> mpc midi out (a) to waldorf in --> waldorf thru to midi in on jp.

after changing all my local settings everything seemed real happy with initial tests.

and then the goofiness started.

jp would hang if i changed anything on the synth itself, in other words i could select patches via the mpc but touching a knob would cause a stuck note. changing the midi channel on the mpc would fix that, and everything would be fine until i touched another knob. fiddling with the jp and disabling exclusive messages from the jp seemed to fix that problem, except that using the micro q caused a serious note lag (a few seconds) making playing it nearly impossible.*

should i give up, pull the thru connection and just set it up so that the 2nd out on the mpc sends to the waldorf directly and the jp has the first midi ins and outs on the mpc to itself and likewise with the waldorf? (i only use the 505 on special occasions) am i missing a glaringly obvious solution? so many months without my mpc or running hardware synths seems to have made me stupid. any help is greatly appreciated.

*on top of this my micro q knobs are being total knobs and not tracking properly. i'm sweeping them as per the recommendations (60 rotations in either direction) but it's only slowly coming back to responsiveness. i still like it, though.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             21-Aug-09  @  12:34 PM   -   RE: mpc/jp8k/micro q midi woes

k

welcome dhex - i see you recently dumped your wavestation sr.... good synth, i've still got one; nightmare to programme tho eh?

if u remove the Q temporarily from the equation - so you just have the jp OUT going into the mpc, and the mpc OUT going to the jp - what happens then?

I'm assuming the jp is your master keys right? - so with just the 2 units connected (mpc/jp) and LOCAL OFF on the jp - what happens?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/5             21-Aug-09  @  01:43 PM   -   RE: mpc/jp8k/micro q midi woes

dhex23

the jp and mpc play together just fine - no lag, all knobs that should record do so and play back just fine. it's when the micro q is introduced into the loop that things get silly. i'm thinking that perhaps it's a setting on the micro q i haven't found yet for midi pass-through, maybe?

and yeah, i liked the wavestation's insanity, but programming it was too much like taking the SATs.

Message 4/5             21-Aug-09  @  03:52 PM   -   RE: mpc/jp8k/micro q midi woes

k

so what haooens if you midi it up the same way but with ONLY the q and the mpc?

prolly get a cheap midi THRU box is the answer - send OUT from mpc IN to thru-box - and send OUT 2 cables from thru-box THRU sockets to both the q and jp

companies like kenton make midi thru boxes

or if the jp has midi thru then what about trying:- mpc OUT to jp IN - jp THRU connected to q IN

then jp OUT to mpc IN - jp local off as before

??

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/5             25-Aug-09  @  06:58 PM   -   RE: mpc/jp8k/micro q midi woes

dhex23

based on further testing this weekend it looks like i'm going to have to get a 1 x 2 thru box.

thanks again!

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot