aaa Super Hot - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

24-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Super Hot

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             30-Sep-09  @  09:10 PM   -   Super Hot

shawneewulf

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I own an ART Multiverb LT, which I connect to my mixer (Mackie VLZ 1402) via the AUX send/return. The problem that I have noticed is that once I plug the Art into the outlet it makes my whole system really HOT - I mean, I don't have to raise the volume on any mic channel for that mic channel to be "hot". And it doesn't matter where the gain is set for each individual channel; the volume for channel 1 can be all the way down, yet the mic will still pick-up and send a signal. I'm not even going to say what it does to my wireless - I own an Airwave at-3001 hand-held, very good wireless mic!!

Now, as soon as I unplug the Art from the power source, the system returns to 'normal'. Has anyone else experienced this, or is it something that I am doing wrong?
Just so you know, I have been actively involved with music for 30 yrs, and have owned my PA system for almost 15 yrs. This is the first time I've ever had a problem like this with an efx unit.

Any ideas?

Thanks

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             30-Sep-09  @  11:13 PM   -   RE: Super Hot

k

Link?: Link

Hi shawn

well, try new cables obviously first

then - does it do the same with the output OR input removed (just a one-way connection)

then try it as a send/return inserted unit but use say a bus out for the send and a channel line input as the return (obviously watch out for a loop there)

if it causes the issue with new cables and if patched to a different mixer in/out then maybe there is some impedence issue and it's overloading the mixer power supply? is it in any way switchable in terms of in/out line levels etc?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/5             01-Oct-09  @  02:27 PM   -   RE: Super Hot

shawneewulf

Hey k,

Thanks for the help! I will try what you have suggested - of course I could kick myself for not thinking of the "obvious" first, but, hey, brain-farts do happen!!

I'll get back to ya to let you know how it works out.

Again, thank you.

Message 4/5             03-Oct-09  @  03:19 PM   -   RE: Super Hot

shawneewulf

Okay...I got it all figured out! After checking and rechecking my connection to make sure everything was proper, I moved-on to checking the cables.
what I discovered was that a 1/4" patch cable that I had going from my AUX send to the ART processor was, in fact, broken in the tip.

I noticed that the contacts inside the TRS sleeve would touch everytime the cable bent - even slightly. Now, this particular cable was "spring re-enforced at the tips, giving the cable extra support at those locations.
The problem turned-out to be that the "ground" contact itself was broken; thus, everytime the cable was bent the contacts made contact with each other creating a "spike' in power levels.

I immediately remedied the problem by replacing the broken cable with a new one. No more issues.

I guess this whole situation was a reminder that when something goes wrong with your equipment, always check the the obvious first!! (Thanks k!!)

Message 5/5             21-Mar-11  @  09:54 AM   -   RE: Super Hot

Komposition.x

Link?: Link

I own an ART Multiverb LT, which I connect to my mixer (Mackie VLZ 1402) via the AUX send/return. 

DUDE, Impedance mismatch for one thing, use the Mic Input, not an Aux,(God help us all) that 15 years has taught you to eat your own shit as well I bet. Don't use a wireless Mic, your picking up a bandwidth spectrum not allocated to you, no........ it will not sound GOOD or COOL, it sucks. Just Like You!

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)