aaa Levels/gain issues - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Levels/gain issues

Viewing all 2 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/2             01-Oct-09  @  11:25 PM   -   Levels/gain problems

Metanet

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

hey,
This is my first post, apologies if it's a very obvious issue -- googling hasn't managed to turn up anything useful.

I have a Behringer mx1604a mixer, whose main outputs are connected to a pair of Yorkville ysm1p monitors. My problem is, stuff is either way too loud or way too quiet, and I suspect I'm doing something wrong in terms of setting up the levels.

The mixer can output either +4dB or "mic" (the manual doesn't specify what level this is). The monitors have trim knobs adjustable between -6 and +9 dB.

With the mixer at +4, the levels are wayyyy too high -- even with the monitors trimmed to -6dB, and the faders for both the channel the audio's coming through and the main set to around -30dB, thing are painfully loud. And yet, only the bottom 1-2 LEDs on the mixer's meter things are lit up (-20 to -30dB)! This seems obviously wrong.

With the mixer at "mic" setting, things seem much more reasonable -- I can set the monitor trim and faders all to 0dB and things are at a moderate volume, with the mixer's meter staying around -10. This seems more correct to me

BUT: with the mixer output at "mic" level, I can't crank things up very loud. Even if I turn up the monitor trim to +9 and the faders to max (+10), things are only at around 0 on the meter, and it's nowhere near as loud as it can be when the mixer is outputting at +4. Plus, it seems wrong to have the mixer outputting at mic levels, when this was only intended to allow you to feed its outputs into another mixer's mic ins.

So: what would be the best settings to use in order to optimize s/n ratio and headroom and all that good stuff? It seems to me that there should be a way to have the mixer's meter showing the levels at 0db when the faders, monitor trim, etc are all at 0db.. but possibly this is stupid and I'm crazy.

Should the monitors be hooked up to the control room outputs rather than the main outs? (they're my only speakers so I'm guessing no). The primary sources of audio are my computer and my Virus TI, both of which are plugged into the line-in channels; should I be using the mic/line channels instead? That would give me an input trim on the mixer.. would that be useful?

Thanks for your time, sorry about the rather verbose problem.. hopefully this is just a case of me being a n00b  

Raigan

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/2             09-Oct-09  @  10:18 AM   -   RE: Levels/gain issues

k

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

hiya mate,
well firstly yes for monitoring purposes such as solo-ing channels, yes you want to run the speakers from the control room out

the switchable xlr outs is for a different use. The metering is another issue - this whole +4, -10 thing related to voltage sent OUT of the actual physical socket relative to the meter level

the xlr outs arent over-ridden when solo-ing channels etc and you cant do things like solo the subs etc to the xlr outs - the xlr outs always feed the stereo mix regardless of solo being active etc, so use the control room outs and make sure the cables connecting to the speakers are wired correctly

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Viewing all 2 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 2 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot