aaa DjGio, my first track! Looking for feedback - Music tracks & feedback forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music tracks & feedback

Subject: DjGio, my first track! Looking for feedback

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/15             01-Jul-10  @  05:26 PM   -   DjGio, my first track! Looking for feedback

Dj-Gio

Link?:  No link

File?:  File

DJGio-_Trance-A-tion.mp3

This is my first track made in Fl studios, I'd like to hear what you all think. Some feedback on the
sounds. maybe some compressing tips would be good, ha ha. thanks!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/15             02-Jul-10  @  08:40 AM   -   RE: DjGio, my first track! Looking for feedback

k

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

too much compression if u ask me. the 'drums' bit that comes in is also too low compared to the synth section without the drums.

is this made from library loops? or did u make all that drums & bass backing etc yourself?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/15             02-Jul-10  @  02:46 PM   -   RE: DjGio, my first track! Looking for feedback

Dj-Gio

Cool! Well, I tried to get just a loud sound to like put it on commercial things because most pros
really turn up the volume, right? What happens when I compress it too much?

The drums and stuff I made it all myself. I don't really like loops as such... I'd rather be able to make
my own thing.

Good tip about the start. I will see if I can fix that; thank you again!

Message 4/15             02-Jul-10  @  05:46 PM   -   RE: DjGio, my first track! Looking for feedback

k

ok, well thats not bad woirk at all on the actual music, but can you hear how the compression is sorta crapping it out?

did you chuck a compressor accross the whole mix? or compress individual tracks?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/15             03-Jul-10  @  01:04 AM   -   RE: DjGio, my first track! Looking for feedback

Dj-Gio

Well, to tell you the truth, I am not too sure on what to listen for. When I compressed it I just wanted
like a louder sound to get the fullness of a radio song you know. but as you say... I might kill a lot of
the dynamics in the sounds and stuff. But as I said. I don't know what a good compressed sound is
like and what a bad sound is like.
Could you like show me the links of some comparisons and contrasts?

When I compressed it i did a few things. for the kick I compressed it just little... ( not sure of what
terms to use, ha ha ) And then i compressed the whole thing.

I'm not sure if you are familiar with Fl to tell me some stuff about the compressor, but I hope you
could give me some general stuff tips on any compressor. Thank you man! It is great to have p[eople
to help like you! ha ha cheers

Message 6/15             03-Jul-10  @  09:00 PM     Edit: 08-Jul-10  |  04:07 PM   -   RE: DjGio, my first track! Looking for feedback

Mortimer

I make my own presets. First six months was slow going but once I got my instruments and presets made the work flow smoothed out.

For compression on the master track...For a factory preset that sounds good and loud but muddy....turn the threshold down and the gain down until it sounds clean. If 3db Input & 3db Output Gain* does NOT do it then work on individual tracks. e.g. If I put more than 7db gain on the master then I'm just messing around; means i don't take that song serious, its more of a joke.

(*some compressors don't have both input and out gain)

I only use High Ratio on single shots (one-shot samples). Or I'm being lazy. What that means; example put the snare on a separate drum track and compress the piss out of it, crank the ratio all the way.

Currently I'm compressing the final mix down with about 2:1 Ratio and it still feels like I might be using to much compression. Alas there's a price for everything! compression sounds good on cheap ear buds. But sounds like poop on good home stereo. And when I take a track to a club I don't add any compression on the final mix down. Instead I let the DJ adjust the EQ. You see, that's why god invented EQ's. So DJ's could adjust them.

Common Controls – Definition

Threshold – This sets the threshold level, measured in dB (decibels). When a signal exceeds this level, compression will be applied.

Ratio – This is the amount that the signal is reduced by the compressor. A compression ratio of 5:1 means that if the signal exceeds the threshold level by 5dB, the output signal only exceeds the threshold by 1dB. As you can see, the higher the ratio, the nearer the output level will be to the threshold level. When this happens (at ratios of around 20:1), we refer to it as limiting.

Attack – This is how long it takes for the compressor to act after a signal has exceeded the threshold level.

Release– This is how long it takes for the compressor to stop acting after the input signal has fallen back below the threshold level.

Output – After reducing the overall level of a signal, the output gain can be increased to bring the whole signal back to it’s peak level.

Message 7/15             03-Jul-10  @  10:32 PM   -   RE: DjGio, my first track! Looking for feedback

k

Gio, can u upload a NON compressed version for us to compare please?

Message 8/15             04-Jul-10  @  12:24 AM   -   RE: DjGio, my first track! Looking for feedback

Dj-Gio

Duuuuude!! thats a lot of info in one go! Ha ha, I had to read you message like 4 times. I really
noticed that; in my house the is a good stereo system and it sounds really muddy, but everywhere
else it sounds pretty good to my ears.

So you turn down the threshold to not compress so much all of the sound (waves or whatever),
right? Why do you turn down the gain? the output gain or the input gain?

So after I keep a low compression rate and all, how do I get a nice loud song? Just with the output
gain? Ha ha, sorry man... I am still a noob trying to learn. thanks so much for all the stuff you guys
have said.

When you make all your sounds... do you save them some how? this song being be first I just used
mostly presets... in my newer stuff I have all my sounds. But I am still not sure on how to save all of
the stuff I am making, ha ha.

..... I just realized.... if you don't get enough volume out of the output on the master you then start
compressing each channel separately? How is that any better?

K, I will upload a non compressed version soon when I get my other computer.

Cheers  

Message 9/15             05-Jul-10  @  04:48 PM   -   RE: DjGio, my first track! Looking for feedback

Dj-Gio

Trance-A-tion_without_compression.mp3

Here is the uncompressed version. I realized today that I was actually limiting the whole mix... I did
get a good loud sound but it just sounded kinda gross like you guys said. I realized that without the
compression all the things sounded clearer, but I still lost a bit of the fullness or saturation I wanted.
But I suppose when I get it onto a good sound system it will sound a lot better.

I had to fix up some of the volumes and stuff because by limiting the thing it fixed the unevenness of
it all. I still have the little draw back that it is a bit quieter than the other one. I still can push a little
more volume out of it I think to bring it the the commercial standard (I hope).

When I compress the song... I am going to try with the 2:1 ratio, but where should the threshold be? suggestions please!

thanx

Message 10/15             07-Jul-10  @  02:07 PM   -   RE: DjGio, my first track! Looking for feedback

k

Trance-A-tion_sony_buss.mp3

ok, so the same file with sony oxford buss compression added, basic preset. it's not so crushed sounding right!

Message 11/15             07-Jul-10  @  03:23 PM   -   RE: DjGio, my first track! Looking for feedback

Dj-Gio

Man! I'll admit, that sounds really quite good. Now that I listen to the first version, this sounds really
awesome! I still need to work on some of the stuff in the song.. too much reverb on the sneer and all.

Tell me, what sort of settings to the compression have? Like what was the ratio and the threshold?
Thanks man

Message 12/15             07-Jul-10  @  07:45 PM   -   RE: DjGio, my first track! Looking for feedback

Mortimer

Fruity Loops Studio - Fruity Compressor - Preset - Basic +6db

The -7db threshold with +6.1db gain leaves 0.9db to spare before clipping.

Message 13/15             09-Jul-10  @  02:31 PM   -   RE: DjGio, my first track! Looking for feedback

Dj-Gio

Great! What is the logic behind the gain? just to get it to the volume I want? At the moment I am
using the fruity limiter which I can turn off and use the compressor. Basically I Did the ratio and the
threshold like as you said and the gain I just have it real up xD. Not too sure if that is a good thing....
what do you guys think?

Message 14/15             09-Jul-10  @  03:06 PM   -   RE: DjGio, my first track! Looking for feedback

k

i think the kik & bass is still getting lost a bit still, but it's not quite so pumping now, much better in that respect. i think the answer lies in a remix rather than trying different mastering compression cos i think the balance between bass/drums and the synths-section is a bit out

Message 15/15             10-Jul-10  @  12:24 AM   -   RE: DjGio, my first track! Looking for feedback

Dj-Gio

Yeah, I think your right.... though the compression Mortimer suggested really did help the "pumping"
as you say. The biggest problem is that in fl there is this limiter that has a compressor.. it is about
the best one... my problem was first that I used the limiter... then next I just gave it too much gain that
it hit the ceiling. ( the limiter can't turn off but goes to 0 db ) then it starts to sound bad. I have been
trying a bunch of things to fix that... I have been working on a better sound system to be able to hear
all that stuff. Ha ha need to train my ear more! Have you any tips on eq-ing? Cheers!!

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot