aaa Behringer UMX49 general questions - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

25-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Behringer UMX49 general questions

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             16-Aug-10  @  12:55 PM   -   RE: Behringer UMX49 general questions

yuriman1

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Hey Guys!
Just a few questions. I think about buying the Behringer UMX49 Midi Controller. I want to use it with Reason4 for inserting notes and controlling effects. Is that possible?
Second question: Can i use it without any other special devices? Only with speakers because i don't always want to turn on my PC to practice.
Third one: Are there other good alternatives in this price segment for my intention?

Sry for language mistakes... but looking foward to your responses!
Greets!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             16-Aug-10  @  02:42 PM   -   RE: Behringer UMX49 general questions

k

yes u can use it as a controller but not alone, it's a controlelr keyboard, it requires usb connection to trigger s/w instruments in your sequencer and doesnt make any sounds itself - however, as it has a MIDI OUT socket it should play/control any external hardware synth/sound-module if u have one and dont wanna fire up the pc

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/9             16-Aug-10  @  10:18 PM   -   RE: Behringer UMX49 general questions

yuriman1

Link?:  No link

Okay... thats difficult for me to decide. I only wanna spend 160€ How much would a sound module cost? maybe u can give me some examples.
And also important: is there a much better alternative for me?

Message 4/9             16-Aug-10  @  11:03 PM   -   RE: Behringer UMX49 general questions

k

yeah sure, you could simply buy a s/h synth with midi controllers and built in sounds. Thing is see, the behringer UMX49 is also a USB audio in/out device

i'm assuming this is important to you yes? o

do you already have a decent soundcard or usb/firewire audio in/out device?

another option is the Novation XioSynth25 which is all 3 (synth, controller, usb-audio-interface):

http://www.dancetech.com/item.cfm?threadid=4048&lang=0

obviously this has a smaller keyboard (25 keys), but is available as 49 & 61 key versions (costing more of course)

if you dont need an audio in/out then you have more choices -

If you DO need an audio interface in/out device then tbh it might be worth thinking about a seperate cheap USB audio/midi interface AND then add a s/h synth with some controllers on top! - u might pull that off for under 200 euros and it'd be a more complete system, but then the problem would be finding a reasonably cheap synth with decent controllers

for example - Behringer U-Control UCA 222 (which is probably the usb audio interface from the UMX/UMA controller keyboards) is only 25 euros!! then spend the rest on a synth with controllers

or the Line6 POD Studio GX - 81 euros ok but u also get a guitar modelling thing if thats relevent

or get the umx49 and a very cheap old s/h 1980's roland or korg or whatever rompler synth (or maybe a cheap old quasimidi unit etc) or a cheap older s/h novation synth or whatever which would also work but would prolly cost a bit more.

also it depends what sound u want to play when you're just messin about with the pc switched off

so 2 questions

1. do u have a low latency audio interface for your PC?

2. WHAT SORT OF SOUNDS DO U WANT TO PLAY WHEN MESSING ABOUT (NOT WITH THE PC SWITCHED ON)? synth sounds? piano only? what?

sry caps

rsvp

either way you're gonna have to spend a bit more to get a synth AND a controller AND an audio in/out

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/9             17-Aug-10  @  09:15 AM   -   RE: Behringer UMX49 general questions

yuriman1

Thanks for taking you time.
1. Realtek ALC883 onboard soundchip. I guess this is not very low-latency?
2. In fact I only want a wide nice piano sound (not a simple sinus sound or like that)
I hope we can get a solution with the Behringer UMX49 because it is so cute!

Message 6/9             17-Aug-10  @  04:15 PM   -   RE: Behringer UMX49 general questions

k

ok then - btw that older model is now replaced by the newer: BEHRINGER U-Control UMX 490 - new colour etc

so that will give you your audio in/out and play your internal s/w sounds and any external sound module

so all u need is a cheap s/h sound module which u can play when the pc is not switched on - of course if you have the behringer UMX 490 audio in/out wired to your speakers theneach time you want to play the external sound module without turning on the pc, it means you have to connect the speakers to the sound module.

cheap second-hand older sound modules would be stuff like alesis nanopiano, roland d-110 or u-220 etc

Message 7/9             18-Aug-10  @  10:36 AM   -   RE: Behringer UMX49 general questions

yuriman1

oww... i  am a bit overstrained with your ansewer :D
what is "s/h" and "s/w"?
can you give me a link to the newer model?
what is the audio in/out of the UMX490?

uahh... i am pretty new to all this  

Message 8/9             18-Aug-10  @  04:17 PM   -   RE: Behringer UMX49 general questions

k

sorry, british slang

s/h = secondhand

s/w = software

LINK:

http://www.dancetech.com/aa_dt_new/shop/shop2.cfm?product_id=251895&start=1&end=1&step_rowcount=1&dt_shop_class=&type=intro

The audio in/out is part of the keyboard.

wait a godamn minute!!! what the hell!!? I was only saying to one of their guys in Germany yesterday that their manuals are poorly written.. but get this - on their Behringer site and in all descriptions being sent out to stores, it quite clearly says that the UMX490 INCLUDES an audio interface...

well find it on the unit pictures!... it's not there! and also it is not there in the bloody manual!!

so it ISN'T an audio in/out device at all... eh?

now i'm confused - even more confused by the fact that behringers main telephone number which was working yesterday now gives a "Number doesn't exist" message

hmm... i'll have to investigate this cos the older UMA series which 100% DOES have audio in/out (cos i've got one) is discontinued, and these UMX devices are supposed to replace the UMA's

basicaly their website and product info is up the creek totaly. I cant beleive it, cos that's not the usual German efficiency!

ok so it's too late today to look into this, i'll check it tomorrow.

Message 9/9             18-Aug-10  @  08:31 PM   -   RE: Behringer UMX49 general questions

yuriman1

Haha that's so funny ;) really! I am from Germany and i love your slang/accent anyway :D...
But okay i can wait. That's worth it.
Best Greetings!

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)