aaa Circuit Bent Casio SA-8 - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Circuit Bent Casio SA-8

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             26-May-11  @  03:25 PM   -   RE: Circuit Bent Casio SA-8

S Tanna

Link?: Link

File?:  [image]

[image file]

I thought people here might be interested in my circuit bent Casio SA-8 (a toy keyboard).

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             26-May-11  @  03:29 PM   -   RE: Circuit Bent Casio SA-8

S Tanna

File?:  No file

The additions to the SA-8, add glitch distortion, feedback, and access to a whole lot of hidden sounds (sounds that the Oki chip inside implements but Casio doesn't provide access to):-

Top Row: Jack out, Volume Knob, Reset button, Internal Speaker on/off, Power Led, 6V power in

Second Row: Feedback Knob, Feedback Amount, 5th (on/off/on), Distortion, Distortion Knob, Glitch, Glitch Knob

Third Row: Cowbell (extra sound), Extra demo 1, Extra Demo 2, Extra Demo 3 (currently incorrectly wired?)

Fourth Row: Hidden sound buttons (allows 100 sounds in conjunction with pre-existing blue buttons - instead of just 25)

I have used some of these sounds in my track below - it's not a dance track but will give you some idea of what the keyboard sounds like.

The most noteable unused sound is the glitch which is just wild.  I will try and make a separate demo of the keyboard by itself and post that separately.

Anyway here is my song:

I will warn you before listening, it contains some swearing, so please don't listen if offended by this.

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_8747135

The Casio SA-8 is used in the intro, for a brief moment after the first chorus, and in the bridge/solo section after the 2nd verse. The bent sounds used are the feedback, the "sampled percussion" hidden sound patch with distortion (which doesn't sound like any percussion I've ever heard before), and, of course, cowbell (normally a hidden sound on the SA-8).

Message 3/5             29-May-11  @  02:09 PM   -   RE: Circuit Bent Casio SA-8

admin

Link?:  No link

thats um, an unusual track S Tanna. Welcome to the site btw if you're sticking around.

The casio looks great, it is doing the blippy lazer sounds at the start yes?  

"In other countries, art and literature are left to a lot of shabby bums living in attics and feeding on booze and spaghetti, but in America the successful writer or picture-painter is indistinguishable from any other decent business man!" - Babbit

Message 4/5             29-May-11  @  02:32 PM   -   RE: Circuit Bent Casio SA-8

S Tanna

Yes im sticking around!

Yes that sort of laser-y siren-y sound on the intro, is me playing with the feedback knob.  A similar sound during the guitar solo bit after the 2nd chous is also me playing the knob.

After the laser finishes, but before the vocals start, there's the cowbell (run through some weird external event)

After the first verse/chorus, there's a drum roll, and there's a strange noise that sounds like marbles falling down a drainpipe or something. That's also from the keyboard.

I'm not really using the keyboard for music on this track, more for wierd noises, but you can get some music out of it.

Message 5/5             21-Jun-11  @  11:43 AM   -   RE: Circuit Bent Casio SA-8

safeandsound123

Very cool modifications, I am a dab hand with a soldering iron myself but not that good !

SafeandSound Mastering, low cost, high end

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot