aaa Need a mixer with these specs - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Need a mixer with these specs

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             01-Aug-11  @  01:13 PM   -   RE: Need a mixer with these specs

monkeybasket2001

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi all,

Having just bought a number of hardware bits I need to get a cheap mixer as I've run out of channels on my Soundcard.

I need something compact (8 mono channels), I need a parametric eq on each channel (sweepable mid) and at least on aux out.  I cant seem to find anything other than behringer which I dont like - all small mixers dont have either the parametric eq or the aux out but i dont have room for anything bigger (and it would be a waste of money) - anyone suggest anything? vintage or new - I don't need digital or usb or anything like that.

cheers

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             01-Aug-11  @  04:05 PM     Edit: 01-Aug-11  |  04:06 PM   -   RE: Need a mixer with these specs

k

Link?: Link

heeeeeeeey! hello mate, how's it goin?

thats a tuff call cos obviously more comprehensive channel eq usualy is on bigger or pricier mixers.

Like the Allen&Heath WZ³ 12:02, but it's 800 gbp! (well built & great sounding tho i'd expect from them)

but do you really mean a parametric mid? many of these mixers say they have a 'parametric mid' or even i've heard them called a "semi-parametric mid"

but they are sweep mids with a fixed q

if you need that - a sweep mid - then how about an ALLEN & HEATH ZED-10? (175 euros)
http://www.thomann.de/gb/prod_zoom_AR_246915.html

they also do the ZED-10 FX...with built in fx for a little extra

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/8             01-Aug-11  @  04:24 PM   -   RE: Need a mixer with these specs

Mr2Hatman

Second the A&H stuff, built well with vertical mounted pcbs on each channel,good preamps for cost and some have usb to computer so you can do a whole mix of board straight to hard drive.
Zed 10 is small but knobs instead of faders.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S.Thompson -

Message 4/8             01-Aug-11  @  11:11 PM   -   RE: Need a mixer with these specs

monkeybasket2001

oh touch k! this is exactly what i had in mind and no i didn't mean proper parametric just a sweepable mid  

every range i looked at got too big/expensive when the sweep eq/auxes were brought in so this is perfect

essentially whats happened is ive just gone and bought 3 (if not 5) synths on ebay and despite also buying cracking new monitors im still finding all analogue recordings plagued with eq issues... having gone totally digital for a while i realised that my best stuff was a combo of my old analogue samples and digital tracking ect so have gone back to having a shat load of hardware but have now run out of channels on my soundcard!  

Message 5/8             02-Aug-11  @  11:44 AM     Edit: 02-Aug-11  |  11:45 AM   -   RE: Need a mixer with these specs

k

well that's the other option mate yes, get a bigger multi IN audio interface with more inputs and route the synths live into your s/w on-board mix in reaktime, adding eq, and other processors/fx in the s/w mix... then monitor the whole lot from the s/w daw mixer. It's not as hands-on as a outboard mixer, but allows each synth to be routed direct to the daw multitrack.

The hardware mixer route means a seperate channel/s outside the daw in the hardware mixer for each synth, but all of those synth mixer channels then route down to stereo to go to the daw input... with the external multi IN interface option at least each synth ends up on it's own daw track & mixer strip from the get-go ready to record anytime.

something like this: (pcie card)
http://www.dancetech.com/aa_dt_new/shop/shop2.cfm?product_id=230632&type=intro
I have the previous PCI version of this unit, and it is superb & reliable, but this is pcie version)

or this:
http://www.dancetech.com/aa_dt_new/shop/shop2.cfm?product_id=192631&type=intro

or this:
http://www.dancetech.com/aa_dt_new/shop/shop2.cfm?product_id=166596&type=intro

or the old classic: (but the inputs/outputs are on a breakout cable not a box/rack)
http://www.dancetech.com/aa_dt_new/shop/shop2.cfm?product_id=151347&type=intro

or this:
http://www.dancetech.com/aa_dt_new/shop/shop2.cfm?product_id=242516&type=intro

etc

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/8             12-Aug-11  @  10:47 AM   -   RE: Need a mixer with these specs

monkeybasket2001

Hey mate

just wanted to say I recieved the mixer the other day and whilst I haven't yet plugged it in am very happy - its has even more options than I thought, an aux and an effects so in effect 2 auxes, two buses ( a record and headphones bus), a USB in and even an insert over the mix bus, the mixer out are xlrs (so nice and quiet), it's light and well it must be the best mixer of that range without fail-

I've just ordered another ones for my mpc/drums - what a find K, really really glad I came and asked rather than rely on my rather shoddy internet searches...

cant wait to plug in my sherman filterbank ii, nord electro ii, sh-101, ms-10 and poly 800 and connect it all up.... (yep been busy on ebay)  

Message 7/8             12-Aug-11  @  11:58 AM   -   RE: Need a mixer with these specs

k

noice! they DO know what they are doing allen & heath i must say. I know what u mean about combining hardware and digital, i also miss the hardware. I dont have  hardware setup anymore permenantly due to space (not that space outside the planets atmosphere... the other sort.. er) you just get a different vibe with hardware it's true

you have been busy on ebay!!

Message 8/8             21-Aug-11  @  06:47 PM   -   RE: Need a mixer with these specs

safeandsound123

Great things can be done inside a computer that is a fact. Hardware gives an extra sense of engagement to the task at hand which is difficult to achieve with software. Hardware controllers can bridge the gap to a degree. I used to have a large (ish) mixing console when I produced my own music but towards the end of music production myself I was mainly in the box so to speak and did feel something was lost. These days the tools are significantly more advanced and more powerful so it is a very close call. And good or bad mixes can come from either.

Interestingly one of the coldest most clinical sounding mixes I have ever heard was proudly proclaimed as being "all anologue no messing about", lol. It was all to do with bad monitoring not resolving what is actually emanating from the mixer.

cheers

cheap mastering

SafeandSound Mastering, low cost, high end

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)