aaa reliable live solution - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: reliable live solution

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             17-Aug-11  @  08:43 PM   -   RE: reliable live solution

oxygene65

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Any of you guys n girls play live with a lot of outboard kit ?

I want to start writing a live set, but I need to make sure that I'm using the most reliable technical method first before I even consider laying down the first notes.

I have about 7 synths and 5 rackmounts, I rely 100% on my outboard kit, I dont use any VSTi's at all.  At home in the comfort of my music room its all plumbed into an analog desk with an audio feed into my PC.

I have running Win 7, with Cubase SX, which I use mainly as a midi sequencer, with the odd drum loop that I've imported from Acid, run thru the odd fx plug-in.

I dont want to take a PC out on stage, and I cant take just a midi sequencer as I do use the odd sample and various filter plug-ins in Cubase in the PC.

Is a laptop the way forward ? I'm still dubious about the reliability or its potential to crash during a live set. Is a Mac more reliable, or is there some bit of kit out there dedicated to such a function that I can dump my cubase creations on to ?

Any ideas ?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             17-Aug-11  @  11:24 PM   -   RE: reliable live solution

k

well u could dump to a hardware sequencer as long as it's all standard midi and standard controllers. you'd have to experiment with exporting the file out of cubase which frankly will mean playing it live into the h/w sequencer while sync'd  to the cubase clock - the h/w sequencer must receive multi-channels of course.

then experiment to see if it plays back right. a cheap s/h qx5 fd or mc500 or mc300 or whatver will prolly do the job

mac lappy more reliable than windows i'd say yes. or ipad? that i'd have thought could do it.

all u wanna do is playback synth midi channels yes?

also mixer? maybe a yammie or whatever digital board (even an old one) so u can store the faders/mix & fx? - shoudl be possible to send patch changes to it also i'd have thought... to "set levels" for each song

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/5             17-Aug-11  @  11:58 PM   -   RE: reliable live solution

oxygene65

Prob is K is that its not just midi sequencing, that IS 95% of it, but I do run some loops/audio in Cubase with plug-in filters and FX. So I may need to go down the Mac route I think. 

I'm gonna have to program in midi control changes for each track to set the levels on the synths, that way I can just leave the mixing desk channels all at the same level.  Cant afford to get a digital desk at the moment, but that definately is the best solution in the long term.

I could dust off my old QX5-FD, but cocking about recording the midi tracks into it from Cubase is too much hassle.

Or I could just record all the live set onto a reliable audio source and play along to playback LOL

Message 4/5             18-Aug-11  @  01:06 PM     Edit: 18-Aug-11  |  01:20 PM   -   RE: reliable live solution

k

lol yeah backing on an ipod, hehe

well mac it is.. you know you want one hehe, they ARE reliable, have you seen those companies doing co-lo mac mini servers? what a clever idea

so what you going for then? a macbook pro or straight macbook

you are cubase innit, you know logic has this mainstage app?

http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/mainstage/

never used it myself. this huys shows how to do a setup - his intro is long  - the screencast bit showing howq u build your live rig starts at 2:41 - not a bad video, explains it clearly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWc8N2SRLDQ

part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngWBCWLbjiw

looks pretty cool, i kinda lost touch with cubase in the last 3 years, does it have something similar now?

i know u want to use hardware, but maybe mainstage can help by joining everything up and adding in your loop & audio playback etc?

it's pretty clever in the second video (about 30 seconds in) he then builds layered sound by dragging and dropping & combining channels to one live keyboard patch, bloody clever.

I've seen mainstage used on TV alot when they show gigs like glastonbury etc and you see stage close-up shots from the shouldercams.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/5             18-Aug-11  @  10:00 PM   -   RE: reliable live solution

oxygene65

cheers mate, I will definately check those videos out when I'm off shift. Perhaps I need a complete re-think about my set up, its most probably long overue, and its more of a hinderance at times having all those synths. Perhaps its time to centralise more.

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot