aaa Sysex-Control for BassStation Keyboard in Logic - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Sysex-Control for BassStation Keyboard in Logic

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             31-Jul-12  @  12:58 PM   -   RE: Sysex-Control for BassStation Keyboard in Logic

Patrick Lerjen

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Hi there,
 I'm trying to build Sysex - Control - Layer in the Environment of Logic (as i already did for several other Synths). But so far i had no luck getting there. In an article here at dancetech the writer mentioned creating one. He called it «Bassstat.lso»
http://www.dancetech.com/article.cfm?threadid=106&lang=0

On the following site i found a lot of information, but still i'm not shure how to do it:
http://www.algonet.se/~thb/nbs.html

So far i tried something like this $F0 $00 $20 $29 $01 $02 $?? $?? $?? $F7
well all the ?? thats where i'm stuck.

Can anybody help me?
I've seen a lot of people asking questions about this, but no answers...
thanks,

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             01-Aug-12  @  11:11 AM   -   RE: Sysex-Control for BassStation Keyboard in Logic

k

Hi Patrick.

why do you want to create this enviroment? Logic has changed alot since that article.

Do you want to simply control the basstation from Logic so you can put controller moves for the basstation into your song? There is other ways to do it.

also, are you using logic on mac?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/8             01-Aug-12  @  10:36 PM   -   RE: Sysex-Control for BassStation Keyboard in Logic

Patrick Lerjen

hi k,
thanks for your reply.
i want to be able to programm sounds in the BassStation via Logic and sometimes automate them too.
the thing is, that my BassStation Keyboard has developped strange malfunctions over the years. When i tweak it with the rotary-controls on the keyboard things tend to go chaotic, for example when i change the lfo speed, there's suddenly full pitchmodulation on both oscillators, although lfo modulation in the modulationsection is set to zero.
what works perfectly, is sending single sounds via sysex from the computer to the Synth. So it should also be possible to tweak the single parameters via sysex.

Since i already accomplished to build sysex-controls for other synths, i now try to do this for the BassStation Keyboard.

As you stated, logic has changed a lot, but the old environment is still there and working, i use these kind environment-controls on a daily basis in Logic Pro 9 (Mac).

unfortunately the BassStation Keyboard send and receives only 7 parameters as simple Midi-CCs (Filter Frreq, Reso, Mod Depht & 2x Attack & Release. So i have to figure the sysex-messages that i have to send to control all parameters.

any idea on that?

what are the other ways in logic to do this?

thanks
patrick

Message 4/8             02-Aug-12  @  10:59 AM   -   RE: Sysex-Control for BassStation Keyboard in Logic

k

ok, here I uploaded the old basstation environment from the old article.

http://www.dancetech.com/index.cfm?loading=files&file_model=basstat

It has to be converted in Logic 7 tho, so you'll have to find an old copy of logic 7 and convert it first.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/8             02-Aug-12  @  12:23 PM   -   RE: Sysex-Control for BassStation Keyboard in Logic

Patrick Lerjen

hi k,
thanks a lot for taking your time to help me.
i did import your logic-song in an older version of logic and was able to plant the thing in a new song.
unfortunately i found out, that your BassStation-Control was build for the BassStation Rack Version, which is answering to some more parameters on simplier Midi-CCs. Mine (the keyboard version) is only answering to the 7 parameters mentioned above.
But i havend given up yet... there's one more idea i have with sysex :-).

thanks
patrick

Message 6/8             03-Aug-12  @  09:35 AM   -   RE: Sysex-Control for BassStation Keyboard in Logic

k

well i think it only does those 7 parameters tbh.. doesn't it? I'm pretty sure i remember that's all it does.

Message 7/8             07-Aug-12  @  09:09 AM   -   RE: Sysex-Control for BassStation Keyboard in Logic

Patrick Lerjen

Yes on the BassSation Keyboard there are 7 parameters that can be controlled via Midi-CCs and on the BassSation Rack there are appr. 15 parameters accessible via Midi-CCs. So the rest of the parameters have to be controlled via SysEx Messages......... which i can'7 decipher at the moment. thanks for your help!
patrick

Message 8/8             07-Aug-12  @  02:56 PM   -   RE: Sysex-Control for BassStation Keyboard in Logic

k

oh i see, well sysex has always been a bloody mystery to me, but for example, i can find a basstation sysex file (.syx) online which is say a bunch of basstation patches. I can then convert it to a midi file using snoize:sysex librarian (it's free try it)

http://www.snoize.com/SysExLibrarian/

Then i can PLAY from sysex librarian (it has a PLAY button to stream the sysex file OUT) and record that IN to logic and capture it as a little MIDI region on a midi track

Then i can open that little MIDI region in Event-List

Then using the Event-List "view" menu I can switch to view it as HEX

but then what? How the hell  do you know what each string is? there are hundreds of lines

perhaps try that method but using a single preset patch sysex file, not a bank of patches, and then it might be clearer?

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot