aaa Focusrite 2802 most bang for the buck?? - Mixing & FX forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Focusrite 2802 most bang for the buck??

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10             14-Nov-12  @  06:52 PM   -   Focusrite 2802 most bang for the buck??

burnunit.recordings

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Guys

I use Logic 9 with an Apogee Ensemble. Ive been working in the box for almost a year now (since my Mackie D8B died). I now have a budget of about 4 grand so am excited to finally be hands on again & out of the box! Originally I was considering Dangerous Music's summing 2bus LT with a Euphonix Artist Mix. But a friend mentioned looking into the Focusrite 2802 as an all in one i.e. front end/daw/summing & a great monitoring section. The unit is feature packed for the price & the reviews are solid. Ebay has them new for around $3300 (my budget is about 4). But before I jump into anything i'd like to know if anything compares in this price range or perhaps I could hold off a little longer & spend a little more if it makes sence. This is basically for a very active project studio in my home. I produce "tech/deep house" & like most of us do my own mastering. I like my drum mixes chunky & warm with nice edge. I also record vocals & am starting to get into the big room stuff so sonic quality is crucial. It would be a tradegy if I purchased & felt the need to replace anytime soon. I think its noteworthy to mention I use outboard gear for my mic pre's & have some outboard compressors/eq's id like to utilize to create a hybrid setup. Any feedback or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

cheers 

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/10             15-Nov-12  @  08:50 PM   -   RE: Focusrite 2802 most bang for the buck??

k

Link?: Link

ok, for summing - this might sound wierd, but i think - and it wont cost much - try a studiomaster mixer from the 80's with the bass AND low mid eq.  They have a sound, very present and defined, but cheap - mind you dont get one with crackly knackered channels of course, but any good tech can sort out such problems.

it is really a classic old british mixer now, but on the cheap. I've got one btw ;) no way i'd sell it.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/10             16-Nov-12  @  04:45 AM   -   RE: Focusrite 2802 most bang for the buck??

datapeddler

Which studiomaster do you own??

I found several..

Studiomaster Session Mix 8-2 $120 usd

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studiomaster-Session-Mix-8-2-16-Channel-rack-mount-mixer-/251183751403?pt=US_Live_Studio_Mixers&hash=item3a7bb7e0eb

StudioMaster 8 into 4 $350
http://www.ebay.com/itm/StudioMaster-8-into-4-/160904354901?pt=US_Live_Studio_Mixers&hash=item2576a59c55

STUDIOMASTER Diamond 8-2 $99
http://www.ebay.com/itm/STUDIOMASTER-Diamond-8-2-Sound-Mixer-Owned-used-by-Paul-Gilbert-Mr-BIG-/170940496794?pt=US_Live_Studio_Mixers&hash=item27ccd8fb9a

Studiomaster Mixing Console 16-8-1 $600
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Studiomaster-Mixing-Console-16-8-16-/290812350854?pt=US_Live_Studio_Mixers&hash=item43b5c45186

Im using an Apogee Ensemble so 8 channels is fine. Any idea if the 16 channel version has a better or simular sound as the smaller 8 channel version. Its only a little more money.

Also..why aren't there any monitor/near-field outputs on these mixers? Only 1 main out & a few auxes??

Im very interested & the price point is a no brainer!!

what do you recommend?? 

Message 4/10             20-Nov-12  @  10:42 AM     Edit: 20-Nov-12  |  11:05 AM   -   RE: Focusrite 2802 most bang for the buck??

k

this one, the big baby; yes it's bigger but has the sweep bass eq & shitloads of routing options; a proper mixer which can do a full on 16 track recording session:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Studiomaster-Mixing-Console-16-8-16-/290817299514?_trksid=p2047675.m1985&_trkparms=aid%3D444000%26algo%3DSOI.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D13%26meid%3D3591027512516472547%26pid%3D100012%26prg%3D1014%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D290812350854%26

it might cost a few bucks to get a tech to get it 100% (if it is not), but it's an investment let's be honest.

as the seller says on the advert: "The eq on these old Studiomaster's rocks as mentioned, having the sweep mid AND sweep bass really allows you to get excellent bottom end definition and tune into the sweet-spot for synths, drums and other sounds.."

oh wait, lol, i just realised the seller used my text from our page (linked below) for his item description, lol, oh well, i stand by that; it's all about that sweep bass AND sweep mid combined with good old fashioned quality parts which nowadays might yield a better signal-noise ratio on paper, but one of these boards is like the difference between an old big classic Roland 100% analog synth & a modern modelling one.

The eq (each channel has an eq cut btw which is very useful) is great:

Treble hi-freq shelving eq
280Hz - 8KHz mid sweep eq with 16dB boost/cut
25Hz - 350Hz sweep bass eq with 16db boost/cut

direct outs plus
inserts and individual phantom power on all channels too!

Here's our site page for it with more details - this is my actual mixer btw - http://www.dancetech.com/item.cfm?threadid=449&lang=0

a description of the mixer in a blog, he replaced some chips for later faster ones - this is all stuff u can get a tech to do with the cash you'll save not buying a more recent "posh" mixer for thousands.:

http://www.myspace.com/warrguitarist/blog/387065850

btw, this blogger also mentions he got an a&h mixer, those are alkso good for what u want. I've used one extensively in a studio in the past and they are great - the big ones also have sweep bass & sweep mid like the studiomaster.

only drawback as i say is these are big boards compared to modern ones.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/10             22-Nov-12  @  04:06 AM     Edit: 22-Nov-12  |  04:07 AM   -   RE: Focusrite 2802 most bang for the buck??

datapeddler

Hey K

After alot of pondering I decided to commit the "Big Boy" for $500.. Very excited!!

As far as its condition the owner said it was serviced several months ago so has no scratchy sounding or worn out parts.

I looked at the write up from warr guitarist you sent me & he mentioned adding faster chips. What exactly is he talking about & how does this benefit us?

Also excited about all the money I saved. Im considering using the extra cash to buy an 8 slot "500 series" rack so I can add some sweet sounding modules to my toolbox.

After all...I dont want all that great routing to go to waste ;)

Thanks for the recommendation K! Im sure im going to be very pleased with its sound & performance when it finally arrives at its new home.. 

Message 6/10             22-Nov-12  @  09:23 PM   -   RE: Focusrite 2802 most bang for the buck??

k

the chips... small ic's on the individual curcuit boards. btw, 500 bucks (i assume u went for the advert i posted a link to?) for a recently serviced version? VERY lucky assuming the seller is honest.

Message 7/10             22-Nov-12  @  11:28 PM   -   RE: Focusrite 2802 most bang for the buck??

datapeddler

Yes I went for the 16-8-16! Its getting shipped tomorrow..Other than the info you already provided ive been reading about how great this board sounds from many different postings around the web!! I hope its quiet & doesnt need any additional work but im prepared get it to 100% just in case. Since you own this board are there any upgrades you would recommend or should I just leave it alone till somethings starts to get buggish?

Message 8/10             24-Nov-12  @  12:15 AM   -   RE: Focusrite 2802 most bang for the buck??

datapeddler

Btw..how much did this mixer cost in its day?

Message 9/10             24-Nov-12  @  02:41 AM   -   RE: Focusrite 2802 most bang for the buck??

datapeddler

Btw..how much did this mixer cost in its day?

Message 10/10             02-Dec-12  @  02:57 PM   -   RE: Focusrite 2802 most bang for the buck??

datapeddler

Well I received the mixer. Im sorry to report that all the channels have some sort of problem. I dont know if it was banged up during shipping or what. Almost every fader & knob crackles loudly & some of the eq's emit a loud screeching sound when swept. Man im really bummed!!

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot