aaa Newb' Needs Help - What Computer Requirements? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

20-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Newb' Needs Help - What Computer Requirements?

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/4             17-Feb-14  @  01:13 PM   -   RE: Newb' Needs Help - What Computer Requirements?

chrisbraid

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi,

I'm sure this question will bore some of you to tears. I have been working with Garageband for the last 5 years, purely to record basic tracks and ideas for my band and manager. Now I'm delving into the world of publishing, I'm going to pull my finger out and learn how to do things properly in Logic Pro X. As I haven't had a number 1 yet, I'm on a budget. I have no problems in buying a second hand Mac (I won't be running anything else on it) but put simply...what are the very basic requirements needed?

I've started researching processors, RAM, operating system. The more I look, the more confused I get. Do I need to get a decent Audio Interface (any suggestions?) and external hard drive (any suggestions?). And what about pre-amps? Obviously the older the computer, the cheaper I can get it, but should I steer clear of anything made before 2009, say?
iMac, Mini Mac, or Mac Pro?

Any help most welcome, I am lost!!!

Thanks

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/4             18-Feb-14  @  01:35 AM     Edit: 18-Feb-14  |  01:38 AM   -   RE: Newb' Needs Help - What Computer Requirements?

admin

what's your budget?

the starter machine is a recent mac mini - best you can afford, ram it up to max

add on a thunderbolt or firewire external drive for your audio/songs

a 3tb tbolt drive is about 235 gbp

add a cheap large usb drive for backups

a 2tb backup usb 2/3 drive is 100 gbp

You can use a mac mini with any cheap screen and usb mouse/keys

add cheap audio interface & mic = from 100 gbp

work up in price from there to a recent imac or a faster mac mini (or mini server) - dont underestimate the newer minis.

new prices as a guide (inc vat at 20%):

a quad imac new is starting at a 1000

a quad mini new with 4gb ram is about 675

a quad mini new with 16gb ram is about 850

a dual-core mini i5 new with 16gb ram (!) is 660

bare in mind a late 2011/12 mac mini Intel Core i7  will equal an older 8 core mac pro on geekbench.

So for example, get a quad core imac, with 4gb ram, then buy & fit 8gb or 16gb crucial ram.

total cost new = 800 for a i7 with 16gb ram new -  or less with a s/hand i7

save money by adding a smaller 1tb tbolt drive (160gbp) & starting with just a smaller 1tb backup usb. (65gbp)

total 1050 gbp - if you need cheaper then go for a 16gb i5, or cheaper still try an older model i5 imac or mini

======

but it depends what you really want to do in terms of how complicated you want your demos to be. If you just want to get down some software drums & other backing arrangement parts with a typical 8 or so audio tracks on top, then frankly you dont need too much power & an older dual core might be enough.

also have you budgeted for or do you have already your monitor speakers, a mic, a stand, leads and headphones?

"In other countries, art and literature are left to a lot of shabby bums living in attics and feeding on booze and spaghetti, but in America the successful writer or picture-painter is indistinguishable from any other decent business man!" - Babbit

Message 3/4             26-Feb-14  @  06:15 PM   -   RE: Newb' Needs Help - What Computer Requirements?

chrisbraid

Hi,

Thanks so much!!! All really helpful. I'm likely to spend around £1500, which is why i thought an older Mac Pro would be good as you can pick them up for pretty cheap. I thought that would leave me to spend a bit more on the mic etc.

I'll start having a look around.

I really appreciate your help. I don't know how invloved or in depth I will be getting yet. I have gone from being a signed artist to having a publishing deal as I am a bit long in the tooth for a pop career now. I guess I could start simple, and if it starts getting bigger, I could add some more RAM and a bigger harddrive later.

Thanks again 

Message 4/4             27-Feb-14  @  09:22 PM   -   RE: Newb' Needs Help - What Computer Requirements?

admin

ok well then go for the quad mini as i said cos the new logic uses the multithreading on those newer i7 quad processors (apparently) so logic 'sees' more cores. It'll be as fast as an old s/h mac pro with a good amount of ram (and the ram is way faster than older mac pro ram),

then add a thunderbolt external drive for the audio as i said for speed. should be a good system!

just add a mic and audio interface both of which you can get - good quality - for under 200 gbp

"In other countries, art and literature are left to a lot of shabby bums living in attics and feeding on booze and spaghetti, but in America the successful writer or picture-painter is indistinguishable from any other decent business man!" - Babbit

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)