aaa Macbook Pro - is this the right buy ? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Macbook Pro - is this the right buy ?

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             21-Apr-14  @  10:16 AM   -   RE: Macbook Pro - is this the right buy ?

Jock

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Hello chaps. Its been a long time. I hope you are all well.

I've had to stow all my hardware in the loft to make way for children. So I need to go down the soft synths route. I'm off out to buy a Macbook Pro next month. In 25 years of music production I've never used a Mac, so thought it was about time I did.  I certainly dont want to use Windows ever again considering the countless problems experienced over the years on various MS Windows platforms.

Can any Mac users highlight any known issues, or things I should be looking out for before I lash out two grand ? (I'm looking at the latest 15in spec) I will still go down the Cubase route over Logic, purely because this is what I know and what I am comfortable with.

Cheers

Fatty

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             27-Apr-14  @  06:59 PM   -   RE: Macbook Pro - is this the right buy ?

k

oright lad!

well first

why 15"? you can bolt on any size monitor for home work and a 13.5 is cheaper and more portable.

i'd seriously consider logic (cheap as rsoles & laden wiv synths)

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/8             01-May-14  @  10:44 PM   -   RE: Macbook Pro - is this the right buy ?

Jock

Yo K.  How you doing fella ?

I'm so short on space that adding an extra monitor at home isnt an option. The thing has to be totally self contained, hence the 15in monitor.

I'm gonna stick with Cubase as its what I know. I've been using it ever since the Atari 1040st.  

So 13.5 or 15 aside, any MacBook Pro is a thumbs up for what i need it for. No issues I need to be aware of ?

Message 4/8             02-May-14  @  09:40 AM   -   RE: Macbook Pro - is this the right buy ?

k

well it should be ok. Ironicaly cubase/yamaha fix things and listen to and interact with their customer base in a way apple dont. just do a quick google check and that should suffice. You could use a projector btw is space is an issue and have a bloody great wall display, projectors arent expensive now like back in the day.

how many sprogs you got then? boys/girls/both?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/8             09-May-14  @  07:47 PM   -   RE: Macbook Pro - is this the right buy ?

Jock

I got 1 girl, 6, and one demon boy who is 2.   I need a bigger house, preferably one with a padded cell to put the boy.

I really need a self contained studio now, no peripherals hanging off it like screens, or projectors. It needs to be portable so I can take it on the train on my commute and into work.  The idea is to write the backbone of a live set on that and compliment it with the h/w synths during a performance.

Thats the idea. Whether it will happen or not. Thats anyones guess.

Message 6/8             10-May-14  @  05:21 PM   -   RE: Macbook Pro - is this the right buy ?

k

hehe, what you feeding the little bugger on? Frosties & cocaine? lol

Checkout jigsaw24 in notts, they do very good mac prices. Not sure about current macbook deals, but today i was looking and they are doing quad imacs (21.5) with a 3 year warranty for 1 grand + change - they are big reseller for the graphics and video industry, i got all my mac pro kit there.

i would try logic tho, VERY good and so simple, you'll be flying around in a matter of hours. ... no endless popping up frigging windows of cubase AND the add-on app called Mainstage (20 quid!!) means you can use the macbook live... Any sounds you create when composing are then playable live via Mainstage.

The new synth in logic does FM, WAVETABLE & ANALOG synthesis, plus you get all the old synths which are great and there is a physical modelling synth too, but the new one really does old classic stuff well

http://www.apple.com/uk/mainstage/

mainstage works with all the logic included synths:

http://www.apple.com/uk/mainstage/plugins-and-sounds/

Message 7/8             11-May-14  @  08:23 PM   -   RE: Macbook Pro - is this the right buy ?

Jock

Thanks K. Much appreciated. I will check out jigsaw24, and will seriously consider Logic.

Message 8/8             16-May-14  @  12:45 PM   -   RE: Macbook Pro - is this the right buy ?

Jock

K. I did it. I've ordered a MacBook Pro 15.4 retina 16GB RAM 512 SSD

Now when I manage to buy my kidney back from Cash Coverters I'll look at some software.

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot