aaa MIDI program change problem - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: MIDI program change problem

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             02-Nov-98  @  06:21 PM   -   MIDI program change problem

x2c4nrg

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Im having a problem, I use an ASR 10 to sequence my Bass Station and I cant figure out why my Bass Station keeps reseting to zero when I change sequences. How do I turn the recieving program change off? And...when it does reset, all the knobs change...in ex, I could have the frequency knob set to 10 and when I change sequences, it will sound like its at 0 and I have to move the knob a little in order for it to go back to 10. Get it? Is it me or a faulty Bass Station. Ive asked many people but no one knows what I mean. If you understand, PLEASE HELP ME!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             02-Nov-98  @  09:30 PM   -   RE: MIDI program change problem

Phill

I guess the question should be why does the ASR 10 send a program change message at the head of the sequence.

This I think is not a problem with the Novation but with the ASR 10.

Most hardware seq req a Program Number at the head /Top of the track, they TX this on reset / Back to 0.

Most software sequencers do not use this method, unless instructed.

I would guess this is the problem. ( Progem change messages will mess up any edits in the edit buffer of the receiver )

Phill@Novation

Message 3/8             03-Nov-98  @  12:35 AM   -   RE: MIDI program change problem

x2c4nrg

Thanks for the info. I still dont understand though because the 'send program change' is off on my my ASR 10. ??? Oh well.

...but still, what about the knobs? (problem stated above).

Message 4/8             03-Nov-98  @  09:07 AM   -   RE: MIDI program change problem

Phill

sequencers send all sorts of stuff when you press stop and or reset. Depending on what is sent may cause the edit buffer in the BassStation to be reloaded from memory. This happens on most gear. The only way to figure out exactly what is going on is to find out exacty what is coming out of the asr10 with a midi analizer. Unless the asr has parameters to switch of things like "Reset controllers" when the sequence is stopped or reset back to 0, then you cannot resolve the problem. Most software sequencers have the ability to do this..most hardware sequencers are very basic in this respect. Refer to Ensoniq for help on this one. I do not think this has anything to do with the BassStation.

Sorry Phill@Novation

Message 5/8             03-Nov-98  @  04:22 PM   -   RE: MIDI program change problem

x2c4nrg

Thanks Phill! Ill get in contact with them.

Message 6/8             04-Nov-98  @  12:36 AM   -   RE: MIDI program change problem

x2c4nrg

Phill, I guess Im stuck... this is what Ensoniq said to me...

"Thanks for writing!
Turning Program changes OFF on the ASR-10 only stops the ASR from
receiving program changes but doesn't disable the transmission of them.
You will have to disable the reception of Program changes in the Novation.

Sincerely,
Al B.
ENSONIQ Tech Support"

Does this make sense? How can I fix my problem? Damn! Im stuck!

Message 7/8             05-Nov-98  @  09:09 PM   -   RE: MIDI program change problem

Phill

Sorry about this. I do not at any time relish the fact that I "pass the buck" to another company.

I guess the motto is...get a pro sequencer. This is real basic stuff...yeah we could have included a filter like some other modern products but hey what about my classic soundiding JUNO 106 or my Jupiter 6...yeah if a filter was on our stuff it would still effect this stuff...and a sequencer does midi I thought....

Sorry cannot be of help, messages sent are recognised.

Sorry Phill@novation

Message 8/8             28-Mar-14  @  10:14 PM   -   RE: MIDI program change problem

Endif

Link?: Link

I had this same problem, friend found this thread, I figured it out, decided to share with you the solution: 

ASR: 
Command Track > Filter Event > Erase Program Changes 

EPS:
Command Track > Erase Program Changes 

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot